Emissions question? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oraclem19
  • 1 Post By ikethegreat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Emissions question?

Hey guys, how are your cars handling any emissions requirements in your state?

I am really asking the guys who have done the Jpipe/exhaust upgrades. I am getting ready to insure my car in AZ, and am a little worried, but at the same time I know Honda engines run so clean.

Anyone have any input they can give to me on that? Are you guys passing just fine, or were you going the "under the table" route?
crkdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #2
The Jester

In AZ as well, there's nothing in this state against upgraded anything, with the exception fo the catalytic converters. I passed the last one with an open throttle body, so obviously there are no CARB regulations here.

I'm not sure if our pre-cats technically fall into the unmodifiable range, however AZ is mostly a visual inspect(for obvious tampering) and OBD2 code state. So long as your sensors are happy, and you're not spewing fumes into the room, you should be fine.

I would suggest a 3rd cat with the ability to have the heatshield on however, juuuuust in case they want to take a look down there, if you plan on upgrading that. Piping-wise however they really don't care how it's all connected.
crkdslider likes this.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Carpe Diem

I pass my emissions test every other year with no 3rd cat and aftermarket j-pipe.
crkdslider likes this.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 25th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I would just hate to have any issues. The car runs clean and I am running 91 octane, so I don't think I would have any issues.

There is still that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind though.
crkdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Mr. Detail

When I used to live in Arizona, I had a '77 Cutlass I'd swapped a 455 into. Went to the inspection station, they put it on the rollers, missed passing on CO2 by .12 ppm. I was told just adjusting the idle mixture would be enough to pass but since I failed on the first attempt, they rolled a mirror under my car and saw I didn't have a catalytic converter and was told I'd have to get one to pass. They said the next year it would be mandatory anyway. Don't know if you still have the large inspection centers anymore that do the testing though or if the rules have changed. Here in Texas, they just plug into your OBD port to check for codes. No codes and your gas cap is working properly, you pass. Since the 3rd cat isn't monitored and they don't really do a visual inspection, no issues passing with the XLR8 v2 J-pipe that eliminates the 3rd cat.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #6
The Jester

Scott, they do have the big testing centers, but as long as your car is something like 89 and up or 91, cant remember, they just do the obd2 test and gas cap.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:50 PM   #7
Mr. Detail

This was back in 1986 (yeah, I'm old), moved back to the Dallas area about 6 months after I got the cats added and passed inspection. If some dip**** hadn't run a light and totaled my Cutlass, I could have dumped the cats as soon as I was back in Texas. Pre-1980 and you didn't have to keep the cats to pass.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Scott, they do have the big testing centers, but as long as your car is something like 89 and up or 91, cant remember, they just do the obd2 test and gas cap.
96 & up is when odbii became mandatory for all mfgs.....
Old May 4th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Calm like a bomb

Move to TN. No inspections done whatsoever. Here in PA (outside of Philly and Pittsburgh) all they do is check your gas cap for you at a reasonable $36 fee (sarcasm). Most Mom and Pop joints don't even bother, they just look at the car, sometimes without even leaving their desk or just check that the lights all work slap a sticker on that sum***** and send you on your way. It is purely revenue generation and does not have any positive impact on the environment.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevilKnievel View Post
Move to TN. No inspections done whatsoever. Here in PA (outside of Philly and Pittsburgh) all they do is check your gas cap for you at a reasonable $36 fee (sarcasm). Most Mom and Pop joints don't even bother, they just look at the car, sometimes without even leaving their desk or just check that the lights all work slap a sticker on that sum***** and send you on your way. It is purely revenue generation and does not have any positive impact on the environment.
man that sounds nice. in CO they even have Vans on the highway on ramps sometimes that measures your Emissions and will slap a pic of your plate if you exceed CO state rules

also, every 2 years, we have to go through a VERY thorough visual and machine measured inspection which with my current straight pipe set up i would fail most likely
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in