Not rebuilding the transmission again - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scottwax
  • 1 Post By thisaznboi88
  • 1 Post By NVA-AV6
  • 1 Post By thisaznboi88

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2016, 07:17 PM  
Mr. Detail

Not rebuilding the transmission again

Paid $2880 for a master kit rebuild, supposedly some modifications to fix the factory flaws and an auxiliary transmission cooler and it went out today. Not completely but I don't have any confidence I could make it to my mechanic's shop. Told him to find me the lowest mileage '06/07 transmission he can. That's what I should have done in the first place. I went through the same crap with my 1990 Accord and the junkyard transmission I finally ended up putting in lasted the whole next 4 years I had the car along with the next several for the guy who bought it.

And the master kit rebuild in my son's Prelude didn't even last 6000 miles before it went out. And by then he was in Seattle and the shop was in Phoenix.
minhokim86 likes this.

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2016, 07:29 PM  

I think Paul has been recommending odyssey AT transmission. I don't know what year it is though. ..
minhokim86 likes this.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2016, 05:09 AM  
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Find a low miles 06 oddy trans, swap it in (including the flex plate from the oddy) and call it a day.....
minhokim86 likes this.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old July 20th, 2016, 08:09 AM  
Mr. Detail

Okay, I'll look into that, thanks. Car is otherwise too solid not to fix.
Old July 21st, 2016, 04:33 AM  
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

When you get the trans swapped. Replace the filter and pressure switches and do a 3x3 fluid change. Also the oddy trans will have the filter assy setup for a external cooler, get a good B&M plate & fin cooler and take the extra coolant lines from the engine that used to go to the heat exchanger on the trans and loop them back on themselves.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:25 PM  
Mr. Detail

I've already got an external cooler on the current transmission, hopefully that swaps onto the new one with no issues. Pressure switches on my current transmission were done last fall so those will be swapped on and I asked him to fill it with fresh DW-1 ATF.

And of course, the day after the transmission in the Accord goes out, the a/c compressor on the G35 crapped out. Can't drive the Accord due to the transmission, shop can't get to the G35 until Monday if I want it back the next day. Otherwise I'd be paying for a rental from Today to Monday instead of just Monday and Tuesday. Same thing happened with the 6 speed Maxima I bought, a/c compressor went out soon after I bought the car. Same symptoms to, heard an odd rattle accelerating away from a light and the a/c stopped blowing cold. Pressure is 150 lb on the low side so definitely the compressor. Ugh.

Hope to get the Accord up and running in the next week to 10 days, depends on how quickly he finds a suitable transmission and how long it takes to ship it. He found a solid, low mileage engine for my son's BMW 323 and arranged shipping to northern Kentucky to the shop my son was having the work done. If it takes a few days or so to find a good one, that's fine. But the Accord has a larger, deeper trunk than the G35 so my detailing stuff fits better. Plus it has factory nav so I can return calls easier while driving to and from appointments.
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:42 PM  
Mr. Detail

Where are you guys finding used automatics? Most of the ones out there have a ton of miles on them. And the ones under 100k are $1200-1500.
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:09 PM  

car-parts.com
Domi_no likes this.
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:24 PM  
Mr. Detail

Not sure where my mechanic was looking, because that's where he found an engine for my son's BMW 323 with low miles.
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:15 AM  
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Find a low miles 06 oddy trans, swap it in (including the flex plate from the oddy) and call it a day.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
When you get the trans swapped. Replace the filter and pressure switches and do a 3x3 fluid change. Also the oddy trans will have the filter assy setup for a external cooler, get a good B&M plate & fin cooler and take the extra coolant lines from the engine that used to go to the heat exchanger on the trans and loop them back on themselves.
Any indication that this could provide some extra staying power for an overpowered engine and some kind of reliability on auto?

Also, I feel like i've asked this before, but don't you have a pic guide of doing this somewhere on an oddy trans? Or was that for a stocks transmission using a designed by you plate.
oraclem19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:07 AM  
Mr. Detail

Well, guess I am getting it rebuilt again. Zero communication with my regular mechanic since Wednesday, I get the feeling he doesn't want to risk putting in a used one due to how long I'll probably want to keep the car. He mentioned the shop that rebuilt it would probably "work" with me on it but they are way behind right now and I don't trust them to do it right anyway.

Found a rebuilder more local to me, 31 years in business with the same owner, good online reviews.

On the way yesterday

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

He said it should be ready Friday.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:31 AM  

How far are you from nva-av6? He could probably take care of you
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:58 PM  
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
How far are you from nva-av6? He could probably take care of you
Looks like 1500+ miles...
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM  

lol damn nvm.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:50 PM  

Are you using Hond-Auto?
Domi_no is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:26 PM  
Frank

Sorry for your pain bro. Do you know if you can put in a 06 or 07 transmission because i think those years don't have transmission issues.

Maybe you drive more miles than the average person or maybe you tow a trailer with your accord and that puts more stress on the tranny.

Hope you get everything worked out and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06accordcoupe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:33 PM  
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domi_no View Post
Are you using Hond-Auto?
Texas Best Transmissions in south Arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06accordcoupe View Post
Sorry for your pain bro. Do you know if you can put in a 06 or 07 transmission because i think those years don't have transmission issues.

Maybe you drive more miles than the average person or maybe you tow a trailer with your accord and that puts more stress on the tranny.

Hope you get everything worked out and good luck.
I know you can use the 06/07 transmissions. But my regular mechanic didn't seem interested in doing it based on lack of response.

I don't tow, but I drive a lot of miles, about 30-32k miles a year. That's why I bought the G35, so I can just use the Accord for work and cut back on the mileage.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM  
Mr. Detail

Went down to the shop today, rebuilder had the transmission apart, clutches (especially 3rd gear) showed a lot of wear and delamination. That in turn meant clutch material was clogging all the little filters and tubes in the transmission which was why it was slipping and dropping out of gear.

He said the other shop used OEM Honda clutches, he uses a different brand of clutches that trade a bit of shift feel (I'll have firmer shifts) for longer life. Also uses the Trans Lab shift kit with the rebuild. Said my car would be ready either Friday or Monday and he felt I'd be really happy with the results. Seems like a decent guy, ex-drag racer (had a low 5 @ 136 in the 1/8th mile El Camino) and dirt biker. Definitely a fellow car guy.
Old August 5th, 2016, 05:35 PM  
Mr. Detail

Yay! It's back. $2569.31 later...

Go in today to pick it up and he found what caused it to fail. When he was getting ready to reattach the banjo bolts for the external cooler the other shop added with their rebuild, he saw a bit of plastic poking out, ended up being a bunch of waded up packing plastic stuck in it. So it was restricting flow to the cooler and allowing the transmission to get too hot, which was why the downshift issues would much more noticeable in the summer or while on long road trips. Changing all the fluid like I did probably bought me some time but in the end, the wear to the clutches was too much and all that **** was clogging the passages and limiting line pressure.

Glad he actually found something because when I was there on Wednesday only thing he'd found was the clutch wear in the OEM Honda clutches but that they shouldn't have failed that quickly.
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:48 PM  

damn that blows man...id b inclined to say something to the original shop, prob wouldnt get u anywhere, but they deserve a good chewing out regardless. this is exactly why i take my car to mechanics for as little as possible. ****ing slobs.
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:58 PM  
Mr. Detail

Definitely saying something on Yelp...
Old August 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM  
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
Yay! It's back. $2569.31 later...

Go in today to pick it up and he found what caused it to fail. When he was getting ready to reattach the banjo bolts for the external cooler the other shop added with their rebuild, he saw a bit of plastic poking out, ended up being a bunch of waded up packing plastic stuck in it. So it was restricting flow to the cooler and allowing the transmission to get too hot, which was why the downshift issues would much more noticeable in the summer or while on long road trips. Changing all the fluid like I did probably bought me some time but in the end, the wear to the clutches was too much and all that **** was clogging the passages and limiting line pressure.

Glad he actually found something because when I was there on Wednesday only thing he'd found was the clutch wear in the OEM Honda clutches but that they shouldn't have failed that quickly.
I'd be interested to know about these upgraded clutch packs... if he's forgiving on information to help out people WAAAAY too far away to come and get work done at his shop.
oraclem19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:44 PM  
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
I'd be interested to know about these upgraded clutch packs... if he's forgiving on information to help out people WAAAAY too far away to come and get work done at his shop.
He said to bring my car by in 10 days (from when I got it back) to check everything out, I'll ask what clutch packs he uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in