getting a new Front Windshield until...RUST! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #1

getting a new Front Windshield until...RUST!

i've had this small crack that runs along the passenger side and doesn't affect my vision but I wanted to get a new Front Windshield but the glass installer found RUST! and said legally he couldn't put in the new one because it could leak, fly off, not adhere properly

i got an initial estimate from a Hot Rod and Collector's Auto Body Shop that deals with rust all the time on older vehicles and the initial quote is around $1,200. if its extensive, he said it could run well over $2,000 with a new roof needed and maybe even more

i made sure that the TSB for the A Pillar roof leak was done:

03 2dr - drivers side a-pillar/roof leak - Drive Accord Honda Forums

and he said usually its due to improper install of a New Windshield or damage during installation. The current windshield is not Honda OEM and I bought it that way and think that the previous owner or dealership had a sub par installer install the replacement windshield

at this point, i'm considering a couple different options:

1. Hope to god that the Rust damage and repair doesn't go over $2,000, and just get it fix since the Car is paid off

2. Find a qualified Windshield installer who can hopefully fix the damage, stop more rust from forming and just keep it a few more years for around $1000-1,500

3. really don't wanna sell it, but if i could find an 8th Gen. Accord Coupe, it might make more sense to put that $2,000-3,000 towards another car rather than dumping more money into it

any advice, help is greatly appreciated
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #2

i got 1 pic my brother-in-law took when i was in Oregon on business last week when he met with the Windshield installer

i spoke with a State Farm rep. and she said they would cover Rust but i think she is mistaken because the info i got is more than likely they would not cover it...i'll be calling our Agent tomorrow for a definitive answer
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Mr. Detail

Lots of money to spend on your car, but if it is paid off and otherwise runs well, its still cheaper than buying another one.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
i got 1 pic my brother-in-law took when i was in Oregon on business last week when he met with the Windshield installer

i spoke with a State Farm rep. and she said they would cover Rust but i think she is mistaken because the info i got is more than likely they would not cover it...i'll be calling our Agent tomorrow for a definitive answer
isnt it missing the top strip of weather stripping????
qaz393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #5

Yup^^ not sure if the owner ripped it off or been missing. Looks like it's been missing for awhile

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
boble94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #6

that piece was removed and reattached with adhesive by the installer

yes i do have that strip in place

i'm down to 2 guys from searching for the past couple weeks, calling about 15 different independent as well as body shops
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
Lots of money to spend on your car, but if it is paid off and otherwise runs well, its still cheaper than buying another one.
lowest quote i got was $500 WITH windshield which seemed way too low to me since Safelite was gonna charge $360ish soooo this didn't seem like the best option

obviously the most expensive was the Hot Rod Body Shop that quoted me $1,200 upwards to $2,000 to replace the Entire roof

i've narrowed it down to 2 guys, both of them wanting $700 respectively including windshield, rust repair, and paint

very fair IMO and meeting with the other guy tomorrow to decide who to go with next Friday
Old November 1st, 2016, 01:20 AM   #8

update: ending up paying $720.00 which could have been more if the Rust was more extensive when the car was token apart

drove all the way to Utah and back on a Business Road Trip and didn't have any problems

seal looks great, paint looks good, and feels great having a new Front Windshield without any imperfections esp. those tiny rock chips in the glass that happen over time

will post pics later this week
Old November 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #9

pic of rust fixed, painted, and new rubber put on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in