Running on 5 Cylinders - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1

Running on 5 Cylinders

Hey Everyone,

Vehicle: 2007 Honda Accord V6

Background: Car started misfiring one day and the service engine light came on. Took it to the shop to read the codes and it showed multiple cylinders miss firing. I thought I would start with the spark plugs because they hadn't been changed and my current mileage was 118,000. One of the engine coils was really stuck and I was having a hard time getting it out so I took it to a local mechanic. The mechanic was able to remove the engine coil and told me he found a loose sitting spark plug at the bottom of the cylinder. The spark plug was broken and parts of it had fallen into the engine along with the seating. I had the car towed to another mechanic in a larger city because I live in a very small town and dont trust the mechanic work here. The new mechanic told me he could see damage on the piston head and in the cylinder (with a camera) and he attempted to helicoil threading to replace the spark plug. After completing a compression test he found no compression.

He charged me $187.00 for the heli coil and to remove the debree in cylinder plug and center con.

He advised me it would be another grand(ish) to replace the head with a used one and because it hasn't been taken apart it could be more, something else, or completely shot.

I drove the car home tonight on 5 cylinders with that cylinder coil plugged in. With the wires plugged into the engine coil of the bad cylinder the car runs alot smoother than if I disconnect the engine coil. With the engine coil plugged in on the damaged cylinder the service engine light stays a solid yellow. When I unplug the engine coil the service light flashes yellow and its alot more shaky.

Would you guys suggest driving the vehicle on 5 cylinders until the engine goes bad and then swap with another from the junkyard?

Would you suggest I drive the vehicle with the engine coil plugged in or unplugged. (If its unplugged will it still allow gas to enter?)

How long would you guys estimate before the catalytic converter starts having issues?

The car also has hail damage and I'm not sure just how much I could sell it for if I were to repair the head. I've been told I could get a used engine from the junkyard for five to six hundred and I'm trying to figure what would be the most economical choice before putting more money into the repair.

Also I just had the timing belt package done at 105,000.

Any advice/questions/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
accord07white is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #2

Swap a used motor in while the cats are still good. The cats are $$$ if you had to replace them
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 25th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Swap a used motor in while the cats are still good. The cats are $$$ if you had to replace them
Thank you for your input!
accord07white is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 25th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Agreed. unfortunate that you just did the waterpump/timing belt. swapping a good used motor is your best option, just make sure it's compression tested before install.

j32a3
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 26th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Mr. Detail

Definitely don't drive the car, a flashing CEL means a severe misfire that can damage the catalytic converters.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #6

the cats wouldnt be my first fear theyd be my last. id make sure that your coils arnt burnt out or anything
ianshade18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in