Accord V6 Forum banner

System problem

701 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  6spdcoupe 
#1 ·
I Just installed my system not to long ago and i had a couple of questions? I have a JL 500/1 pushing a 12 L7 and a JL 4300 pushing my focal 165v2 and Mb Quart 6x9's. Well my 6x9's are not very loud at all, should they be? or should they just be enough that u can just barely hear them and just let the focals be the main speakers to hear?? and also my focal 5.25, i dont hear it hit , i just hear the tweeter and the 5.25 with sound coming out of it too. but i thought that was a midbass speaker.. what do i have to do to make that hit a little bit? Is there a knob on the amp that i need to adjust so that i can hear the 5.25 hit a little bit? im sorry for all the questions but im really stupid when it comes to stereo equipment.. i got pictures of my set up if anyone needs to see them..

THANKS

#2 ·
since you have componet fronts then you should have a X-over somewhere you can adjust. You should try turning up the gain on the amp if you dont thin your speakers are loud enough. Also there may be some adjustment on your headunit if you are using an aftermarket one. Try adjusting that as well.

#3 ·
My focals came with crossovers and i have an alpine 9807 and that doesnt do anything to make the 6x9's louder. do u think i should get a crossover or an eq installed? whould that make it easier cause its hard to adjust the bass with just the headunit. i have a sony eq that i could get installed pretty cheap..

#4 ·
My focals came with crossovers and i have an alpine 9807 and that doesnt do anything to make the 6x9's louder. do u think i should get a crossover or an eq installed? whould that make it easier cause its hard to adjust the bass with just the headunit. i have a sony eq that i could get installed pretty cheap..
yeah an EQ always helps if your headunit doesnt do much. If your not good at adjusting it take it to a shop and they can do it for you.

#5 ·
Ok, thank you very much! what would u suggest is a good in dash EQ?? i have a sony now some where in the garage but i will buy a new one if there is anything better..

#6 ·
the focal 5.25inch speakers have a frequency breadth of about 100hz and up. So midbass wasnt really their fortay. The indash EQ will help a little with midbass and overall control of your subwoofer output, but you will notice as your raise your midbass frequencies(~80-200).. your music will sound artificial as you raise your volume.

Do you have any idea what your component system is crossed over at? Or is the HU sending a full bandwidth to the amp and the amp does the crossover job? Are your doors sound deadened? Are the speakers in kickpanels or in stock locations?

Installation is the formost cause of inadequate midbass, and second is tuning(crossover point, slope, etc)

hope this helps a bit

#7 ·
yeah L_fty i noticed on my headunit u can choose what frequency to choose for the bass and midrange. For the bass there is 60, 80, 100, and 200 to choose from and for the midrange there is 10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, and 17.5k. so far i have the bass on 60 and the midrange on 10.0k. and how could i find out what my components are crossed over at? all i know is that i have my 4300 pushing them. i do have dynomat around the speakers themselves in the door and they are all in the stock locations.

#8 · (Edited)
So what does everyone think is a reasonable EQ out right now.. i noticed Fosgate PA2 , Planet audio, audiocontrol three.1, kicker kq5, sony xec-505? just something that will fit under my headunit and will work the front, rear, and sub. and i really didnt want the band type eq, i really like the eq's with the knobs. thanks alot :)

#9 ·
WIth your preouts going into the EQ, the EQ can devide the frequencies for you viz the crossover point.

I myself have a Audiocontrol three.1 coupled with a Nak 45z going to a PPI. The audiocontrol is a line driver, EQ and crossover. The crossover is set at 90hz from the factory and seperate modules can be purchased to lower that point.

All in all it looks great under my HU. A little expensive I purchased it from carmedia1.com

#10 ·
hmm i was looking up audiocontrol and i can get a three.1 for $200 new. i used to have a sony Xec 505 and i really liked that and it was easy to use for dummys like myself. when it comes to the HZ, Z, K and all that good stuff i know absolutely nothing! so i just that an eq would take care of all of that for me and make it easier for me to adjust the different speakers.

#11 ·
yeah L_fty i noticed on my headunit u can choose what frequency to choose for the bass and midrange. For the bass there is 60, 80, 100, and 200 to choose from and for the midrange there is 10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, and 17.5k. so far i have the bass on 60 and the midrange on 10.0k. and how could i find out what my components are crossed over at? all i know is that i have my 4300 pushing them. i do have dynomat around the speakers themselves in the door and they are all in the stock locations.
those numbers (60,80,10k,15k) are only for bass and treble boost at a certain frequency, not for crossover points. I don't think your particular head unit has crossover controls, but I would suggest you play around with the crossovers on the 300/4 amp beacuse those focal k2's should have decent range. I wouldn't mess with an eq or any external processor yet until you examine what you have already. If you want to make your 6x9s louder, check the gain on the 300/4, or check if the installer changed the fader on the HU.

#12 ·
Ok, i really dont know which knob is for the front and rear?

so should i just mess around with them til i can hear something? cause i see the knobs and i see the numbers around them? so i dunno what i should put them on.. sorry guys but im a retard when it comes to this.

#13 ·
Ok, i really dont know which knob is for the front and rear?

so should i just mess around with them til i can hear something? cause i see the knobs and i see the numbers around them? so i dunno what i should put them on.. sorry guys but im a retard when it comes to this.
Generally speaking, 80 hz is the most common frequency to high pass components. I am by no means an expert in car audio but i think i can help out some. I would try setting the crossover/high pass at 80hz on the amp. For the 6x9s I would just adjust the gain to your preferred volume. Note: when adjusting your system, play a cd that you know well and at a volume just above what you would normally listen too. If you want to check the gain, turn the gain all the way down on the amp and turn the volume up on your head unit to around 25 (3/4 of max volume, assuming your alpine goes up to 35 like mine, 7893). Then, adjust the gain on your amp until the speakers begin to distort. then turn the gain down just a bit. Generally you want to adjust your gain to the preout voltage of your head unit which i'm guessing is 2volts for front and rear, 4v for sub? For crossovers I set somewhere around 80hz but basically adjusted the xover so that I got the deepest bass without distorting. I would suggest you do this with another person so that one can listen and the other can adjust, assuming your amps are in the trunk. However if none of this works, which I doubt hopefully, perhaps an eq or extra midbass drivers will solve your problem.

#14 ·
With the Focals in there, you shouldnt need the crossover on the amp even turned on, that is why component sets come with the appropriate crossovers already. As for the rear speakers, "proper" (I use the term loosly) sound is to have your rear speakers only for rear 'fill', in other words, from the driver/passenger seat they shouldnt be all that loud. The main point of them is to fill up empty airspace not be loud. Remeber your door speakers have to work their way up to your ears, where the rear speakers are typically already at ear level, therefore not working so hard to be heard. If you do turn up the gain on them them will be heard more and may drown out the rears.

--Don

BTW..proper tuning should solve all your problems, buying additional equiptment really isnt neccesary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.