LED Headlights and Angel Eyes - Custom project - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012) > 8G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1

LED Headlights and Angel Eyes - Custom project

I saw some Acura TL's with some LED mod's and I think we can do this ourselves. I have some 80mm CCFL rings for Angel Eyes as well, I've seen some guy on driveaccord.net with them installed.

Here are some links:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3139628
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...641022&page=12
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...926#post312926

LED's are from oznium.com

Halo's are from lightwerkz.net

I think that I want to do the LED's but instead of the full strip I will black out everyother bulb because they're too intense and too close together IMO. Then I'll put the CCFL ring on the low beam projectors cause they don't look like they fit very cleanly on high beams. That being said, here's some pictures of some concepts of the LED's. Not sure which one to go with so I'm open to suggestions. I think I will smoke the amber side markers though, cause the LED's will look pretty sharp on the side and I can get rid of the amber (I'm using chrome bulbs in the front turn signals as well so I won't have any amber at all, except when using the lights).

I used electricians tape to cover alternating leds, except for the end section next to the sidemarkers just to add a bit of punch since I'm going to smoke the amber plastic. Not sure if I will do this for sure or not. I will use flat black paint to blend the strip into the headlights and will cover. So the tape will come in handy. Oh and that is one embarrisingly dirty car thanks to a very cold canadian winter where we salted and sanded like crazy. Now it's well above freezing and it's been a mess. i will keep updating this post and should have some clean pictures later this spring (I don't think I'll get to this project till April).

Please let me know what you think, good or bad....yeah yeah, if I could afford an Audi I would have bought one but this should still look pretty unique on an accord. I also have Civic SiR (DC5) sidemarker turn signals I'm going to put on as well.

Let me know which of the two layouts you like.
mattchatwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
-Maninder

This design is alright, other ones don't look very nice imho.

SHould look good if done correctly, if the led's sag or whatever, you just ruined an expensive headlight...

Good luck though lol
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Official V6P Retro Whore

Not a bad idea... play with it a bit until your satisfied with the design layout.

also: wash your car.... poor car
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
-Maninder

^

Yeah wash your car. How did I not notice all that filth the first time i saw the pictures...
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5

nice idea
3.56thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #6

I washed that car 3 days before the pictures. It's been -30C, too cold to wash and we salt up here so now that it's melting it doesn't stay clean long.

Hard to see from the pictures but there are actually nice natural ledges on our lights for attaching the strips inside the housing. Running them outside gives a bit of an idea how it would look. Oh, and they are actually White LED's they just have a bit of a HID blue tinge.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #7

God that car is so dirty! I dont care when you say you washed it! That thing is nasty
TURBOGEN5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOGEN5 View Post
God that car is so dirty! I dont care when you say you washed it! That thing is nasty
WTF can you do when you're driving in snow and the roads are salted? lol...my car looks the same, it's not like you can go out in -30 degree weather and hand wash your car - and if you do, the second you hit the road your car gets all dirty again. No point...and taking it through a car wash, unless it's touch less you're just asking to get scratches in your paint.

BTW, I like the Audi design, you'll just have to play with yours to get it the way you like. I mean, it's your hard earned dollar, do what you want. I think it's unique and that's pretty cool in my book. To each his own they say...
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #9

Picked up a headlight at a wrecker and payed a good price for it so now I have something to take apart and experiment with. Better than destroying a $500 headlight. Won't have too much time till next month to take it apart and experiement but I'll update with the progress as it goes. Thanks for the opinions so far and keep them coming.

Just had another thought, a shorter strip might look good on the top as well. Gonna try that when I take this apart and post some pics.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchatwin View Post
Picked up a headlight at a wrecker and payed a good price for it so now I have something to take apart and experiment with. Better than destroying a $500 headlight. Won't have too much time till next month to take it apart and experiement but I'll update with the progress as it goes. Thanks for the opinions so far and keep them coming.

Just had another thought, a shorter strip might look good on the top as well. Gonna try that when I take this apart and post some pics.
You wont destroy anything if you heat up the headlights properly and take your time taking off the lense =]

Good luck on the project.
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownz Thrillah View Post
You wont destroy anything if you heat up the headlights properly and take your time taking off the lense =]

Good luck on the project.
Yeah, I'm really happy I can enjoy playing with and taking time with a light already off the car, plus it gives me something to do while it's cold. Will fire up the oven next week I think.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #12

Found an Audi that used the Oznium LEDs and even tried a different kind that looks a little better.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...3Doff%26sa%3DN
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13

I like the one with the curved led's - looks sweet... Once it gets warmer I'll have to try that too... and yes, salt is a *****!!
GenToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #14

cant wait to see the results
jproy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #15

Well, this has taken a bit of research and testing. I've spent a lot of money on different LED's and parts and have even talked to a couple machine shops to look at some CNC work, but alas, that is way too expensive....around $1500-$2500 was getting quotes for, no thanks. I have two spare headlights thanks to eBay and the suckers buying those ugly Coupe aftermarket headlights and selling their OEM ones. I've completely ripped them apart and have finally completed my first LED strip which looks nothing like the pictures. I ended up placing an ABS 3/8 inch angle bar across the top of the housing, slightly inset and drilled holes for the 4-chip Superflux LED's from Oznium. I used a combo of saws and dremel to get the curve I needed and will paint black to match the housing. It's gonna look great. Since I'm into the headlight anyway, I'm sending the spare halogen projectors to Caesar at Lightwerkz and he's putting in s2000 projectors with TSX-R lenses. When I get them back, I can install into factory clamps so thier height adjustable like stock, I've got 95mm angel eyes to install on the low beams, the LED eyebrow and then it should be sweet. If you're interested in this mod I will be posting pics sometime in May as the weather continues to warm up and I have some free time. For now, if anyone is interested in tackling this, the end result I think will look very good. Some tips: You can't heat and bend the ABS or Styrene modeling stuff worth anything worth keeping, the flexible LED strips are flaky (trust me I tried and spent a lot of money on these only to be dissappointed by output and they short out like crazy), so the best method is individual 4-chip superflux leds on abs 3/8 inch angle (found at any serious modeling store...think remote control and custom build stores) and cut slots to make it flexible (pics to come next month or so).
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #16

Damn, those LEDs look awesome.

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #17
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchatwin View Post
Well, this has taken a bit of research and testing. I've spent a lot of money on different LED's and parts and have even talked to a couple machine shops to look at some CNC work, but alas, that is way too expensive....around $1500-$2500 was getting quotes for, no thanks. I have two spare headlights thanks to eBay and the suckers buying those ugly Coupe aftermarket headlights and selling their OEM ones. I've completely ripped them apart and have finally completed my first LED strip which looks nothing like the pictures. I ended up placing an ABS 3/8 inch angle bar across the top of the housing, slightly inset and drilled holes for the 4-chip Superflux LED's from Oznium. I used a combo of saws and dremel to get the curve I needed and will paint black to match the housing. It's gonna look great. Since I'm into the headlight anyway, I'm sending the spare halogen projectors to Caesar at Lightwerkz and he's putting in s2000 projectors with TSX-R lenses. When I get them back, I can install into factory clamps so thier height adjustable like stock, I've got 95mm angel eyes to install on the low beams, the LED eyebrow and then it should be sweet. If you're interested in this mod I will be posting pics sometime in May as the weather continues to warm up and I have some free time. For now, if anyone is interested in tackling this, the end result I think will look very good. Some tips: You can't heat and bend the ABS or Styrene modeling stuff worth anything worth keeping, the flexible LED strips are flaky (trust me I tried and spent a lot of money on these only to be dissappointed by output and they short out like crazy), so the best method is individual 4-chip superflux leds on abs 3/8 inch angle (found at any serious modeling store...think remote control and custom build stores) and cut slots to make it flexible (pics to come next month or so).
May?!

I can't wait that long.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastJ30A1 View Post
May?!

I can't wait that long.
stop being such a post whore!!! lol

the lights should look real nice with those leds
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #19

Those are gonna look sick. Can't wait for the pics.
Ofnir107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #20

Well, Projectors are off to lightwerkz and I'm off to the Dominican so when I get back at the end of the month I will complete the LED strips and put together a bit of a how to, with pics and the like. I won't be able to fully complete them till Caesar finishes with the retrofit so there may be a bit of an update early next month and hopefully the completed project by mid May, lots of pics and how to to come. Stay tuned!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #21
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
stop being such a post whore!!! lol

I only post 4 or so times a day...
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #22

those pix sorta remind me of the new audi's
keep us updated!!
Apex`R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #23
Official V6P Retro Whore

pics now or ban!
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #24

Okay, it's done but you'll have to visit Drive Accord to see them (near end of page 3...lots of pics). Oh, and for all you sunshine boys who gave me crap for a dirty car, we had a break in the rain today so I cleaned her up for pics:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26661
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #25

turned out good, well done, nice mod!
jessewhitlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #26
Euro accord wannabe

that's actually really nice

how did you have the wires go in the back of the headlight housing?
aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
that's actually really nice

how did you have the wires go in the back of the headlight housing?
I routed the wires behind the reflective shroud inbetween the high and low beam then out the low beam projector opening in the back as the s2000 projector did not allow for a tight seal with the gromet (were some openings so I routed wires through and siliconed it). Seal is great, have had lots of rain and no fogging.

Axis Elite Staggered 19's
Toyo Proxes T1R
HFP Suspension and Aero Kit
Magnaflow Catback
Custom s2000 Projector HID retro, angel eyes and LED DRL
Ultimate Race Pedals
JL Complete Audio System
s2000 shift knob, 1" drop, Shiftstyle boot
AEM CAI
Stoptech BBK
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:41 AM   #28

Wow that looks great. How much did the projectors cost at lightwerkz to install?
adam081904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM   #29
4.0L

The lights look great! What was the plastic strip before you modded it for the LEDs? I was considering doing some sort of LED strip in my new retros, but the 6th gen headlight isn't too inviting to the idea.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM   #30

The retro cost me 375 for the s2K projectors, 240 for labour, 70 for the TSX-R lenses (well worth it), 199 for the Digital HID kit, and 50 for the wiring harness to the H11, total was about $950ish. Would be a bit more if you send the entire headlights into them as the would have to dissassemble it and they got me in quicker because I sent them just the projector and reflector from the headlight.

The plastic strip is some modeling plastic from Plastruct
http://www.plastruct.com/
I used the ABS type instead of Styrene as its stronger and more resistant to heat. Look up the Structural shapes in the Catalogue section. I used the biggest size, think it was 3/8 inch angle. Will do a write up later.

Axis Elite Staggered 19's
Toyo Proxes T1R
HFP Suspension and Aero Kit
Magnaflow Catback
Custom s2000 Projector HID retro, angel eyes and LED DRL
Ultimate Race Pedals
JL Complete Audio System
s2000 shift knob, 1" drop, Shiftstyle boot
AEM CAI
Stoptech BBK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in