V6 turbo charged - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012) > 8G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Downey, California
Posts: 22
V6 turbo charged

Hey everyone Ive been doing a lot of re-search on how much Hp can our 8th gen Accord (Engine & Transmission) take to the wheel. I have a 2012 EX-L V6 Automatic, and i wanted to put a turbo charger on the J35Z2 engine. I know your thinking you can't because you need to re-tune the ECU.

Answer: AEM has made a Fuel & Ignition Controller (F/IC-6) with a harness that will connect to the ECU and with a software that you can do all the tuning you will need.

Im want to put in a 57mm T3/T4 turbocharger from Precision. It gives from 7lb to 15lb of boost, your looking at 350 - 500 hp to the wheel. Now this set up was done on a 7th gen 2006 Accord J30 v6 and they did not change anything on the engine or transmission except the fuel injectors and fuel rail and maybe the pump. I have seen the J30 v6 engine and compared it to the 8th gen Accord J35 v6 and it doesn't look that different except that the IM and TB looks biggger.

So if anyone knows about specs on the engine and especially on the transmission please let me know.

thanks,
Doctor Death is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Will the auto hold up though? maybe you can use megasquirt or something similar.
shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Registered User
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 8,733
You have that stupid cylinder deactivation craps. If it was a MT it wouldn't be too much of a problem tuning
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #4
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
You have that stupid cylinder deactivation craps. If it was a MT it wouldn't be too much of a problem tuning
What the ignition cut at shifting?
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #5
J35 6Spd
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
What the ignition cut at shifting?
I think he's referring to the cylinder management that the ATs have... when cruising the engine shuts down 3 cylinders for better gas mileage. The MT ecu's do not do this. If possible to disable/override the management in your AT then things become much easier. Otherwise, you may need a second tuning map triggered when the cylinder management kicks in.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered User
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 8,733
^ exactly
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: boston
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Death View Post
Hey everyone Ive been doing a lot of re-search on how much Hp can our 8th gen Accord (Engine & Transmission) take to the wheel. I have a 2012 EX-L V6 Automatic, and i wanted to put a turbo charger on the J35Z2 engine. I know your thinking you can't because you need to re-tune the ECU.

Answer: AEM has made a Fuel & Ignition Controller (F/IC-6) with a harness that will connect to the ECU and with a software that you can do all the tuning you will need.

Im want to put in a 57mm T3/T4 turbocharger from Precision. It gives from 7lb to 15lb of boost, your looking at 350 - 500 hp to the wheel. Now this set up was done on a 7th gen 2006 Accord J30 v6 and they did not change anything on the engine or transmission except the fuel injectors and fuel rail and maybe the pump. I have seen the J30 v6 engine and compared it to the 8th gen Accord J35 v6 and it doesn't look that different except that the IM and TB looks biggger.

So if anyone knows about specs on the engine and especially on the transmission please let me know.

thanks,
thats gonna be a very expensive smoke machine that uses a lot of rubber. and i love the idea.

J30 Bore and stroke are both 86mm. (3.4'') 10;1 compression
j35 bore is 89mm and stroke is 93mm. (3.5" and 3.7") 10.5:1 compression.

i was always curious to know how much boost these things can handle on a stock engine. are you gonna do internals? methanol/water injection? or just leave it stock with low boost? very little boost goes a long way with 10.5:1...
crmplex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #8
The Jester
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
I think he's referring to the cylinder management that the ATs have... when cruising the engine shuts down 3 cylinders for better gas mileage. The MT ecu's do not do this. If possible to disable/override the management in your AT then things become much easier. Otherwise, you may need a second tuning map triggered when the cylinder management kicks in.
Forgot about that.
If he's going boost I would hope there's some plan to use Hondata, which would hopefully be able to override this?(I assume)
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 20
The engine would essentially have to no longer engage VTEC anymore at all to disable the VCM.

The newer accords with the 3.5L and VCM use the mechanical arrangement between the rocker arms and oil pressure (VTEC solenoid) to continuously vary the number of cylinders that are active.

It doesn't have two separate profiles on the camshaft like traditional VTEC, one for low rpm and one for high rpm.

The J35Z2 has separate profiles to close valves on cylinders in order to shut them down (VCM).
mzilvar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Registered User
 
mike the fast V's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 22
how much to turbo charge your engine?
And how much horsepower increase?
thanks
mike
mike the fast V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 119
tree hunnid and fiddy dousand dollas and a whole bunch of vtecs

Last edited by Joseph Lee; November 9th, 2016 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: needed moar vtecs
Joseph Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
I've been reading many turbo automatic threads where people have been bricked by VCM, if a google search of "VCMuzzler" is done a pilot owner who posts on multiple forums under the name "verbatim" has developed a harness that disables VCM details can be found on his thread and he is an an active user who can be messaged to purchase the harness.
Rb6o4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 12
Hmm
3Dmove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Registered User
 
goomer1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 66
he FIC does have duel fuel maps, that can be changed on the fly. What if you triggered the second map, done with grounding an input wire to the FIC i believe, with a signal from the VCM system? Maybe with a relay?

Just an idea
oraclem19 likes this.
goomer1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 13
Ktuner has a vcm disable on it now.
Jarvis likes this.
pickup1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #16
Jarvis
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Are you sure? Could post more datails about that? How about the Governor/Speed Limiter? Thanks.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 62
No VCM disabler for the 8th gens yet. He's still working on it.
Jarvis likes this.
beekayhoax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:43 PM   #18
Jarvis
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
How about Speed Limiter? Is there something to disable it for now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beekayhoax View Post
No VCM disabler for the 8th gens yet. He's still working on it.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 13
I was wondering the same thing.
Grip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 62
Yeah, pretty sure it's disabled.
Got too many speeding tickets to want to find out ;D
The 9th gens had a problem, ktuner said it was disabled but then someone tested it, and it wasn't.
Apparently there was a second lockout in the software, not sure if he found the workaround, as I have an 8th gen, screw those 9th gen guys! Haha!
Sorry for the delayed response
Completely forgot bout this, till I saw someone quoted me.

Last edited by beekayhoax; January 15th, 2016 at 08:04 AM..
beekayhoax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #21
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 29
I would like to know the same thing, they should be required
__________________
v6performance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Cool boosted 3.5 vtec

I run a j35a4 in a sandrail, on 6lbs of boost, stock computer and engine, no mods and put 385hp to the wheels....so a solid 450 to the crank. Runs like a dream, very reliable.....whats the catch? race gas......I dont think it would make it on pump gas at 10.5 to 1 compression
Vtec Sandrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #23
Registered User
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Sandrail View Post
I run a j35a4 in a sandrail, on 6lbs of boost, stock computer and engine, no mods and put 385hp to the wheels....so a solid 450 to the crank. Runs like a dream, very reliable.....whats the catch? race gas......I dont think it would make it on pump gas at 10.5 to 1 compression
Dyno or pix.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Dyno AND pix.
Fixed
__________________
aka 'damage2000'
SykVSyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
thinking about running boost into my 8th gen v6 AT. ive been searching forums for a solid while now. I can't find a VCM delete tune ANYWHERE. Im looking into the AEM F/IC-6, but would that be a good setup to run 7-11 lbs of boost on the 10:5:1 compression? Ive heard a little boost goes along way on the J35 but i dont need more than 10-11 pounds.
GoatAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 11
sounds fun
twin turbo?
wombat9999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 9
^ twins all day
TorontoJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6o4 View Post
I've been reading many turbo automatic threads where people have been bricked by VCM, if a google search of "VCMuzzler" is done a pilot owner who posts on multiple forums under the name "verbatim" has developed a harness that disables VCM details can be found on his thread and he is an an active user who can be messaged to purchase the harness.


The way it works is the wires which enable the cylinder deactivation send information to the computer, but for the deactivation to occur certain conditions must be met. The kit uses an 80 ohms resistor on these wires to trick the engine into thinking it has never warmed up. As such the cylinder deactivation will not occur because its being given a false positive. (Eco mode does not engage while the car is not warm.)
shea550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:52 PM   #29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatAccord View Post
thinking about running boost into my 8th gen v6 AT. ive been searching forums for a solid while now. I can't find a VCM delete tune ANYWHERE. Im looking into the AEM F/IC-6, but would that be a good setup to run 7-11 lbs of boost on the 10:5:1 compression? Ive heard a little boost goes along way on the J35 but i dont need more than 10-11 pounds.

Also on VCM, I was just at the dealer today for a P03400 code, which occured at 129,xxx miles on my 2008 accord 3.5L v6 AT.

The fix (which the dealer wanted to charge 300 for) was a rocker arm oil pressure switch. a 25 dollar part. In the time that this engine trouble code was active (was reset by the dealer and works again now) the VCM was completely disabled for all RPMs. I assume as a safeguard to stop the vehicle from damaging itself. Removing this sensor or disabling it would mechanically disable VCM as the rocker arms will not activate while not receiving oil pressure input. Not sure what other systems this would manipulate or what the other repercussions would be.

While talking to my electrical engineer co-worker who owned the odyssey van with our J35z2 engine, who also hated the VCM, he stated he disabled it by adding the 80 ohms resistor to that on that certain wire. I could not tell you what that one wire is called or where it is located, but I'll talk to him on thursday and see what he has to say. He offered to help me disable my VCM so maybe ill come back with results aswell.
shea550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
In regards to the problem with the VCM and cutting down to 3cyl, what major problems will this cause once the turbo is actually on the car.. I mean it doesn't take much for the ECO to not be active even on a normal road, a slight blip of the throttle and its off, in saying this you aren't going to make any boost till you get on the throttle (therefore there is no chance of Eco being on while on boost??) So no problem with the vcm and wanting to spool a turbo on 3cyl..... Or am I thinking way wrong??????
Darcy3428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On