So I finally sat in the new Accord... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

So I finally sat in the new Accord...

Okay, so everyone here knows that I don't particularly care for how the new Accord looks, inside and out. I've gone on long enough about that, so instead of being negative in this post, I'm going to focus on what I liked about the car after finally taking the time to sit inside one.

Yesterday, I was at the local Honda stealer getting routine maintenance done on my 7G sedan. And yes, the term stealer is appropriate in this case because they charged me $94 for an oil change and a tire rotation

Anyway, while waiting for my car, I browsed the new car lot to see what they had. Not much, apparently, as they only had a couple Accord V6 sedans and I4/V6 coupes out front. The rest were I4 sedans, the majority of them EX's. There were two nice black on black coupes outside, one V6 AT with NAV, and one I4 EX-L with NAV. After looking at the coupes for a few minutes, I ventured inside to see what they had in the showroom.

In the showroom, they had a black S2000CR (dayum!!! ), a blue Accord EX-L sedan, and a pearl white 6-speed Accord coupe. Sweet I made my way over to the Accord sedan first, because I had been wanting to sit in one for a while now.

Wow If it weren't for the odd design (sorry, I know I promised I wouldn't say anything about that ), this interior would be a home run.

What struck me first was the quality of the interior materials. They were fantastic. The first thing I noticed before sitting in the car was the quality of the leather, which I stroked and prodded on the driver's seat with my hand before sitting down (it's an odd habit of mine when checking out a new car). It was easily as soft and supple as the leather in my Mom's old RX330, something that could never be said about the leather in my 7G, which has leather that is hard and rough to the touch. Unfortunately, the gray leather on the front seats was starting to dis-color from many butts sliding across them every day, I guess.

After sitting in the driver's seat, I quickly found a comfortable seating position with minimal movement of the seat. Within seconds I could tell that the driver's seat in the 8th gen was much more supportive than the one in my 7G, yet, at the same time, it was also softer and more gentle on my back side (the 7th gen has very hard seats that almost feel as if they belong in a European sedan).

Scanning the interior from the driver's seat, I was amazed at the improvement in the quality and finish of the plastic and vinyl pieces. The vinyl trim on the tops of the doors and on the middle of the dashboard felt rich to the touch and looked upscale. Like the 7th gen, there's still not very much of it to go around, but that's okay, thanks to the dramatic improvement of the finish on the plastic trim pieces. All I can say about that is...wow! The plastic in the 8th gen is better by leaps and bounds than the plastic in the 7th gen, no question about it. The texture is amazing, the finish is wonderful, and the fit is superb. No more uneven color and wavering sheen on the same panel, something that my 7G's interior suffers heavily from. The plastic in the 8G looks so nice that I had to poke at it at first to make sure it really was plastic. The interior of this car really is the best-in-class in terms of fit and finish.

The color of the interior was another nice surprise. Honda has never really grasped the perfect shade of light gray in its interiors before now. The 5th gen had a very murky gray interior, the 6th gen had a strange, brownish-gray interior that looked tan in certain lighting situations, and the 7th gen had a bluish-gray interior that just looked "meh". This is the first time they've ever gotten it right. The 8G's interior is a very pleasant shade of gray, similar to what you'll find in a Lexus. Nice

Now, of course, the most obvious characteristic of the 8G sedan's interior was its size. One word: huge. The passenger seat was in another zip code, while the back seat was in another county. With the front seats adjusted for someone who is 6'2" (me), there was still several inches of clearance between my knees and the front seatback. Amazing. And the level of comfort back there was incredible. I could see myself riding back there for several hours with not a single complaint. I couldn't believe that this was an Accord that I was sitting in, a car that up until 10 years ago was a compact like the Civic is today.

I walked away extremely impressed with the 8th gen sedan. I still don't care for its styling at all, but I love the way it feels and it fits me like a glove. I just hate that I didn't get to drive one. Or maybe I don't, because I probably would've ended up with a new car and an even heftier car payment

As for that pearl white 6-speed coupe sitting the showroom...it was locked Bummer.

And the S2000CR...well, I had trouble fitting inside so I was forced to admire it from the outside
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #2

Wow, that sounds like a great report. More and more, I'm looking forward to replacing my 6th Gen AV6 sedan with the 2008.
wingchunjourney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3

That white Coupe you saw was "Taffeta White", not Pearl. The Pearl White is only available on the V-6 Sedan. Not bustin' your chops, just didn't want someone else to read it and think they could get a Coupe in Pearl White. =)

As for the gray leather this year...you're dead on. When I first saw it I likened it to the light gray leather in the Acura RL (we had a used one on the lot at the time). So much nicer shade than previous offerings.
Darth Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

You know, you're right. Now that I think about it, there wasn't any "pearl" in the paint at all, so it was Taffeta white. I wonder why Honda would limit the availability of such a sweet color to the V6 sedans? A Premium White Pearl coupe would be sexy
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
You know, you're right. Now that I think about it, there wasn't any "pearl" in the paint at all, so it was Taffeta white. I wonder why Honda would limit the availability of such a sweet color to the V6 sedans? A Premium White Pearl coupe would be sexy
The Pearl White is generally found on sedans and upscale SUVs (I believe it was Cadillac that started the trend). It's not usually found on sports/sporty cars.

PW is considered to be a "luxury"-level color. Kinda the same reason the Accord Sedan doesn't have Belize Blue or San Marino Red--those are sportier-type colors.
Darth Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
J35 6Spd

great review.. i like the attention to detail on the quality... i'm going to have to check out the interior of one too.

about the leather though-- apparently the 2006-07 models had upgraded leather over the 03-05... were you comparing to the earlier 7gens or the later 06-07s?
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #7

Nice review and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
Yesterday, I was at the local Honda stealer getting routine maintenance done on my 7G sedan. And yes, the term stealer is appropriate in this case because they charged me $94 for an oil change and a tire rotation
HOLY CRAP
faboloso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Banned

why did they charge you $94 for an oil change ? should have done it yourself.

but nice review, i wish i could see the s2000 cr in person. An accord is just an accord, but the s2000 CR is a work of art.
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #9
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord View Post
why did they charge you $94 for an oil change ? should have done it yourself.

but nice review, i wish i could see the s2000 cr in person. An accord is just an accord, but the s2000 CR is a work of art.
I know, I should've done the maintenance myself The oil change and tire rotation by themselves weren't too expensive (like $40?), but my Honda dealer lumps those two in with a stupid inspection that they charge an arm and a leg for and call the 7,500 mile service The next service is just an oil change and will only be $26.

As for the S2000 CR, my friend and I went back tonight to look at cars, and this time I actually sat in the CR. To say that thing is sweet is an understatement. I felt like a kid sitting in that thing, imagining that I was racing it and playing the engine note in my head as I rowed the shifter from gear to gear

I also found out that my local dealer has not one but TWO CRs, both black. There's only 2000 of the things in existence and my dealer (Hendrick Honda of Charlotte) has two, which is crazy.

Unfortunately, and it brings a tear to my eye, but the one in the side lot had serious swirl marks and scratches in the paint that really showed up under the bright lights in the lot. It almost made me nauseous This dealer needs to learn how to prep cars better, because they swirled the crap out of my car's paint when they prepped it, too I swear they must wash their cars with a brillo pad

The blue EX-L sedan in the showroom was gone. Undoubtedly, someone else liked it as much as I did
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #10
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
great review.. i like the attention to detail on the quality... i'm going to have to check out the interior of one too.

about the leather though-- apparently the 2006-07 models had upgraded leather over the 03-05... were you comparing to the earlier 7gens or the later 06-07s?
Thanks

As for the leather, I wasn't aware that they improved the quality on the 06-07 models. I have an '07 and the leather is pretty hard and rough for the most part. However, it may just be my car, because leather quality varies from car to car and even seat to seat in the same car. I have seen other 06-07 models that seemed to have slightly better leather than mine, but overall the leather quality in the 2008 seems to be greatly improved over the 7th gens, which already improved a good bit over the 5th and 6th gens.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #11
J35 6Spd

ahh ok thanks for clearing that up.

i gotta check out an 08 now... but i never go to dealerships anymore for anything = \
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
ahh ok thanks for clearing that up.

i gotta check out an 08 now... but i never go to dealerships anymore for anything = \
dont you mean the stealership! they charge so much for the smallest things
tkdtuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #13
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
dont know. leather is still not as good at MB or lexus that i sat in autoshow, that leather is so much softer then in mine. i didnt notice how leather felt in 8G accord when i sat there
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #14

Definitely an upgrade from the 7th Gen Accords.
08AV6Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #15

I dont like the center console in the 8th gen. I still prefer my gen 7.
superdanimals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #16

I don't like the center console either but I think it's one of those things that'll grow on us...
ASM_2007_Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in