6MT owners please step inside; need your comments. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1
ELP_JC

6MT owners please step inside; need your comments.

With the lack of 6MT Coupes, did the next best thing... and was a little disappointed. What was that? Drive the TL-S 6MT, with the same 3.5L engine, and probably nearly identical pwr/wht ratios. Engine felt gutless down low, which required much more revs than I like to avoid stalling it. Then the clutch was like a freaking light switch; extremely abrupt engagement, with the corresponding jerky shifts. And no, I'm not a newbie at manuals, and my '90 Coupe 5MT wasn't like that.
Just for kicks drove the new G37S 6MT, and was the opposite: much more grunt down low, with a very progressive clutch, very much like the Vette and GTO. I also liked the shifter better, but probably because I'm used to notchy shifters by now, and like to feel the gears engage. The TL shifted like butter. I'm not sure I like that anymore, but not a big issue at all. By the way, this G37 is light years ahead of the 35; MUCH quieter inside, and way better interior quality. What I didn't like was the price < he he>, and more importantly, the complication (even without the nav). Why on earth the stupid button to start the car? What a gimmick.

Now to the big question: Is the G8 6MT anything like I described above? My dilemma is the following. If I'm going to buy this car, looks like it'd have to be blindly, and I HATE that idea. All the few arriving are presold before they hit the dealership, and therefore not available to test drive (I'd do the same, so no complaints there, but frustrating nonetheless). The other option, which I don't like either is paying $750 so dealer can bring one from another dealer. Dealer would sell it if I don't like it, but I don't like $750 test-drives (at least not on an Accord < lol>). If somebody has driven both the TL-S and Coupe 6MT, your input would be extremely valuable, but am looking forward to 6MT comments of what I can expect as well. Thank you folks.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; February 10th, 2008 at 11:17 AM..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2

I have not driven a 6MT TL-S but have driven the automatic and it was slower than the G8 6MT Accord. I have also driven a G35 and it is faster than both of them. I haven't driven a G37 but imagine it to be faster still. You live in Texas, you don't need FWD, I'd seriously look into the G37. I [I]have/I] to have FWD up here, thus the G8 6MT is the best option for me.
I think the TL-S is slightly heavier than the Accord Coupe, you might want to do a Wikipedia search for performance stats between the two. I thought the TL felt "bigger" than the Accord from behind the wheeel.
I think the clutch in the G8 is more progressive and less abrupt than the G7. I think it's going to be hard to come from any V8 powered RWD car to a V6 FWD one.
Have you considered the new 1 series BMW or a used 3 series?
(torquier RWD 6's).
My sense is if you really hated the TL, you're not going to love the Accord.
Good luck buddy, if you didn't live a thousand miles away, you
could test drive mine.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
ELP_JC

Hey Jim, really appreciate your insight buddy, and your offer to drive your car; many thanks.
I'm honestly not set on RWD, but prefer it. My main goal is FUN TO DRIVE. My only other requirements are 6 cylinders and leather, and no AWD, turbo, or Nav (the least complications/gimmicks possible). Performance of basically any modern 6 cylinder is enough for me, but just want to make sure I like driving it, and that revs are relatively relaxed at highway speeds (3K rpm @ 80 max). I did enjoy my '90 Coupe, but not the TL-S; go figure. That's why I'm optimistic about the new G8 6MT, especially being lighter. As you know, there's no perfect car, and am trying to find one I can live with at least 5 years, and at the least possible price. I haven't considered the 1 series, and it's a great suggestion, and the one below the turbo should be plenty fast/quick. I want a new car, so a 3 series with leather is out of range.

Hey, read a review of a G37 and somebody complained about shifter rattle; geez, that's one of the main things I'm running away from the GTO. Will drive it again and check it out by myself. Many thanks again, and keep the comments coming. Good day.
JC

Old February 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #4

The G8 6MT, TL Type-S, and G37S are all very impressive bang-for-the-buck vehicles. Have you done a build & price comparison on the specs? The main difference without looking into the features is the G37's lack of rear seat room being that it's a coupe and not a sedan like the other two. Also, RWD and FWD is also apparent. Maybe those differences could help you decide.

I feel very well connected to the car when driving the TL Type-S but there's not enough feel when you shift the gears. Smooth is good, but I prefer the feel of smooth legs to smooth shifting. I personally loved the G35 Coupe when it came out because it was sporty, but I still haven't gotten a chance to drive the G37S.
tkdtuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #5
ELP_JC

Thanks for your comments TKD. The G37S is a very nice car, but I hated the fact both door and center armrests were too low, and worst of all, the center armrest was too far rearward, even with the seat as far back as possible. Everything else was acceptable. Seats barely fit me (too narrow), and am barely 155 lbs; can't imagine a 'big' guy ever being comfortable in that car. I liked the stereo, same nav screen without it, bluetooth without nav as well, power tilt/telescopic wheel, 14-way power driver's seat, and 3-position memory. The 19" wheels with the sport package (standard on 6MT) look awesome, and the car is handsome. Having a hard time justifying 40 grand, so am hoping I like the Accord enough to buy it, but if I'm not satisfied, will reluctantly spring for the G. Waiting for March 15 to finally drive the Accord, which in my view is a better bang for the buck. Take care.
JC
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6

I finally got to test drive an MY08 Accord V6-6sp and it was a blast;the car moved effortlessly on the freeway; had decent handling for a big coupe.
The only thing I didn't like was the shifter;sorry I'm used to the S2000. Let's just say it's better than the Civic but not close to an S2000.

For me it needs grippier tires,a lowered suspension,and a 300lb diet other than that a very nice DD that the wife would have a primary car
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #7
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
http://www.motortrend.com/av/reviews...pe_comparison/

i LOVE my 6-speed! i realize its not an 8th gen ... but if the 8th gen is an improvement over the 7th gen 6-speeds then you've got yourself a winner as far as i'm concerned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #8

Amen to that. I have a 7G 6Speed and it's awesome. Much better than a lot of other cars I've driven (Preludes, Civic Si, Eclipse V6) plus it's an Accord. You can't go wrong.
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #9
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Accord Coupe 6-Sp wins!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...upe_comparison
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in