Service Bulletin for 8th Gen Accord 6cyl ONLY - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Service Bulletin for 8th Gen Accord 6cyl ONLY

Hey wassup guys...I found this TSB Bulletin on Alldatapro..

Engine Knocks or Ticks At Idle

Symptoms:The engine knocks or ticks at idle. The noise is usually more noticeable when the engine is warm.

Probable cause:The rocker shaft bridge has excessive clearance which causes the rocker shaft to rotate and make noise.

Vehicles affected:

2008 Accord 2-Door V6/AT:
From VIN: 1HGCS22..8A000001 Thru
1HGCS22..8A004773

2008 Accord 2-Door V6/MT:
From VIN: 1HGCS21..8A000001 Thru
1HGCS21..8A027012

2008 Accord 4-Door V6/AT:
From VIN: 1HGCP3...8A000001 Thru
1HGCP3...8A005150

Warranty Claim Information

In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

Operation number: 1100A1
yeahonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #2
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
no big deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #3

I'll be listening for this... thanks
k757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4

yeah... no biggie. thanks for the info/heads up anyway
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #5
i haz vtec

so would this make the engine sound like a diesel?
zany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #6
ELP_JC

We don't know if it's a big deal or not; we'd have to read the full TSB to learn what's involved in the repair. And whatever it is, I wouldn't like it one bit. But if the cams have to come out, IT WOULD BE a big deal IMO. Can somebody post the entire TSB?? Thx.

I'm trying to get rid of my ticking (at idle) LS2 V8, and now this. At least we now have a chance of not buying a car within those numbers; thanks a lot for posting this man.

Hey, did anybody notice the # of vehicles involved? The 6MT doesn't sound right to me:

Coupe V6 auto: 4,773 vehicles. Not tha many.
Sedan V6 auto: 5,150 vehicles. Reasonable, as the sedans sell more.
Coupe V6 6MT:27,012 vehicles??? WTF? Thought only 10K would be built per year... WORLDWIDE. Can somebody comment on this discrepancy? Thx.

So much for a 'tried and true' engine, huh? Geez. Later gang.
JC
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #7

There is nothing wrong with the engine... I can see if you have no experience that it may be scary to you, but from a mechanical stand point its really not that big of a deal. this is a QC issue not a design issue... if your in range and need replacement(I would think the dealer will wait unil they can varify that your car has excessive clearence) take her in... you should take her in at any rate to get it logged into the computer and that way when it does occur in the future you are good to go.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #8
ELP_JC

Hey Schu, dealer hasn't confirmed the deal yet, but it'd have to be ordered anyway. And yes, I'm scared of dealers screwing things up from personal experience. I just don't want my engine touched if I can avoid it... and I can with this car: won't pay deposit until I know my VIN is out of the TSB's range. Have a good day folks.
JC

EDIT: Forgot to comment I'm mechanically inclined, and do all the maintenance/mods on my cars and motorcycles. Am familiar with Honda's SOHC valvetrain, but other than adjusting valves once, have never removed or repaired anything.

EDIT 2: Just talked to dealer, and he ordered my car today. It'll be produced in about 40 days (and delivered in 60), with the TSB problem already corrected. Only problem is they didn't accept my trade offer at this time, but they didn't ask for any deposit either. If they kill me with it (which I'm afraid of), and I can't sell it on my own, I might pass on the deal. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by ELP_JC; May 27th, 2008 at 12:15 PM..
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Pilot & Accord

I don't get it. It says "The rocker shaft bridge has excessive clearance which causes the rocker shaft to rotate and make noise". Isn't the rocker shaft bridge suppose to be bolted down? If not, what holds it in place?

By the way, I suspect that if they remove that bridge, they'll have to loosen up the rocker arm nuts. Correct me if I am wrong here but wouldn't the valve clearance need to be adjusted after install? Thats a bit of a workout. Hope they don't let the junior guys do that.
TonyWare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM   #10
ELP_JC

I'm confused too Tony. It's pretty obvious to me there's excessive clearance in those parts; the question is how much. It's like buying a 'new' car with 25K, 50K, or even 96K miles (somebody had to do this at 4K). The procedure sounds at least as complicated as adjusting valves (plus removing and replacing those bridges), which is done at 100K miles.

What pisses me off is all you hear is 'no big deal', and I bet none of those guys actually knows what the heck is involved in the repair. Every time you need to open a NEW ENGINE is a big deal to me. Yes, having to replace pistons would be a bigger deal, but after the horror stories I've heard from something even simpler than this, I also hope the 'rookies' stay out of this procedure.

Finally, just sold my GTO, and dealer told me my 6MT will be here THIS WEEK. Of course, that means the freaking car is smack in the middle of the TSB's range. Damn. Will start a new thread to hear some options. Seems weird this car is 014539, and TSB goes all the way to 027012. I bet that number will probably even cover '09s, no? Seems to be Honda made a $hitload of engines, and that's why so many for the 6MT. Later gang.
JC
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #11

This is mechanics, not voodoo.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM   #12
ELP_JC

I HATE when people answer questions with crap like the post above. It's like replying to a post on how to remove the center console with 'pretty easy'. Geez.

Well, found 2 FULL TSBs that apply to the 6MT. One applies to ALL Gen8 V6s, and the other to ALL 6MTs. The 1st is not a deal breaker, since I'd fix it myself if afflicted, but the 2nd is; fortunately, new 6MTs are well past it.
Now everybody can make their own determination based on FACTS, not B.S. Hope this helps gang. Later.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...79&postcount=2

JC
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP_JC View Post
I HATE when people answer questions with crap like the post above. It's like replying to a post on how to remove the center console with 'pretty easy'. Geez.

Well, found 2 FULL TSBs that apply to the 6MT. One applies to ALL Gen8 V6s, and the other to ALL 6MTs. The 1st is not a deal breaker, since I'd fix it myself if afflicted, but the 2nd is; fortunately, new 6MTs are well past it.
Now everybody can make their own determination based on FACTS, not B.S. Hope this helps gang. Later.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...79&postcount=2

JC
Thanks JC, good links. By the way, my issue is shifting from 1st to 2nd, not 2nd to 3rd. Any one else having this issue? It grinds in, but never pops out once engaged, and is sporadic as well. I've read somewhere else that someone was having this problem before I even bought mine.
mattchatwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #14

those TSB links are pretty old JC... you've helped no one. and your asinine responses are, well, asinine. if its no biggie to me why should I not respond... NO BIGGIE. do you want to help me wipe my ass correctly to, I am sure you have a proper controlling technique for that one? You don't even own a car, so what is your friggen point to insulting one of the more knowledgeable here. Please... troll over at the ass board drive-accord.net

Please, buy another car
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #15
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I seriously can't believe that you just found the 6MT tranny TSB stuff NOW. Like Schu said, that one has been around forever.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I seriously can't believe that you just found the 6MT tranny TSB stuff NOW. Like Schu said, that one has been around forever.
Well, there was no need to run into them until I owned one, which was only 2 weeks ago....so it's news to me even if it doesn't apply to my VIN model it did open my eyes and made me wonder if there were any new ones out. So, anything new or are we good so far?
mattchatwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #17

That post was directed squarely at JC who has been researching and fretting about this car for months trying to find all of its little faults, real, imagined, potential, and otherwise. So I'm just shocked that HE was not aware of this.
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #18

i just changed my oil today @ 7k miles. I did notice that the engine seemed a little noisy, or at least it made more noise than my CLS with 130k on its J series....

should i be worried, or is this REALLY not a big deal..
cltypeslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #19

Too bad you just changed your oil. The best thing to do is to get an oil analysis done and see if there's any elevated wear, although it'd be tough to see at only 7k miles since the engine is still breaking in anyways. If it bugs you just get the TSB done.
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #20

it doesnt really bother me, but is there any harm being done to the motor if the TSB isnt done?
cltypeslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #21
J35 6Spd

sounds like a valve lash issue.... valve lash being the amount of space between the rocker arms and the top of the valves in the cylinder heads. if theres too much space the rocker arms make more noise when they hit the valves. my 06 also had this issue from the factory on all of the intake valves. if this is in fact the problem which it sound like it is... it is just a matter of the mechanic changing the valve clearances.. not replacing parts.

it shouldn't be too big of an issue but depending on how much the adjustment is off, your valves wont be opening fully and you'll be robbed of some power. over time, excessive valve lash may lead to parts in the valvetrain wearing out faster.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #22
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
troll over at the ass board drive-accord.net
Well, the 'ass-board' is this one, which includes the moderator, so this is my last post. Besides, there's A TON more knowledge on the other side, and a ton more traffic as well. You always find a-holes on all sites, but most of the few people who post here are, so good riddance.

And who the hell said anything about the tranny? It was posted to help me, and I said new cars were not affected by it for a while.
Will send mod a separate message to delete my account. And yes, I own a 6MT/Navi now. Later.
JC
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP_JC View Post
so this is my last post.
JC
sorry to hear that, this thread got out of control, not sure why.
Best of luck with the car, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in