Accord tranny - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #1

Accord tranny

ok so i was bored and reading the 08 user manual and on page 274-275 it talks about the tranny it says "By upshifting and downshifting through 1,2,D3,and D you can operate this transmission much like a manual transmission without a clutch pedal." Hmm.. so im guessing the new trannys are kinda like triptronic? correct me if im wrong please. cuz as far as i know its bad to be shifting around the gears like that on a automatic car.
_JuztAJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #2
方法についてはあなたが私のお尻にキス

i did that with one of my friends 08 I4 sedan, it is a slow car lol but it gets going better when u up shift yourself, not that i suggest it if u want your tranny to last you in the long run.
Henrys86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys86 View Post
i did that with one of my friends 08 I4 sedan, it is a slow car lol but it gets going better when u up shift yourself, not that i suggest it if u want your tranny to last you in the long run.
yea it does i tried it after i read it and you can feel the difference in the pick up when i did it after in normal drive it felt like the tranny was holdin back. and i know its supposed to mess it up in the long run but then why would the manual say that..

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM   #4

upshifting an automatic tranny manually will wear it out a little faster. Downshifting an automatic tranny manually will wear it out alot faster (because you can't rev-match the downshifts). I've always felt that Honda automatic transmissions are not the stoutest (manuals are fine), I wouldn't beat on it like you can a GM auto.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5

I have the 08 v6 auto and I ran the quarter well over 20 times to get the best time. I found that the fastest way to drive it is just flooring it on go. if you rev it while on the brake and then let off it bogs down, and redlining it doesnt add time because the engine doesnt produce more power in the last few hundred rpms. i have given this a lot of trials and i know what im talking about, so believe me when i say shifting it manually does nothing
bondandracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondandracing View Post
I have the 08 v6 auto and I ran the quarter well over 20 times to get the best time. I found that the fastest way to drive it is just flooring it on go. if you rev it while on the brake and then let off it bogs down, and redlining it doesnt add time because the engine doesnt produce more power in the last few hundred rpms. i have given this a lot of trials and i know what im talking about, so believe me when i say shifting it manually does nothing

hmm thats wierd ive tried just flooring it and it actually takes longer so what i do is i go down like 3/4 of the way and then at mid to high rpm range (when in vtech) i go the rest of the way and i feel more power come out of it kinda as if flooring it is giving the engine too much gas and taking longer to pick up. anyone else notice this?
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #7

i havent tried that, ill run the quarter a few times like that and see if it makes a difference.
bondandracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
i havent tried that, ill run the quarter a few times like that and see if it makes a difference.
Do you mind me asking what your best time was?
justeddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #9

welcome to 2008.

my 98 accord could do that, and almost any car with auto trannies can.
cltypeslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #10

What was you 1/4 mile time?

Quote:
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltypeslow View Post
welcome to 2008.

my 98 accord could do that, and almost any car with auto trannies can.
I know any auto car can do that my question was if it was bad on the tranny to do it in a race.. anyways thanks for the invite to 2008 but ive already been here for 6 months
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #12

Abuse it when you need 2 only . Lol!!! You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JuztAJ_ View Post
I know any auto car can do that my question was if it was bad on the tranny to do it in a race.. anyways thanks for the invite to 2008 but ive already been here for 6 months
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Sylv
When i downshift on my 08 Accord v6 5AT, from D3, i will downshift to "2" at 25-30mph and down to 1 at around 10-15mph, this way, i dont hurt the tranny as badly as downshifting when the ECU lets me, im not an idiot who just slams it to "1" and wait for the ecu to downshift, high revs like mad....
2nd gear will downshift around 65mph i think when slowing down, and 1st gear is 30mph so i make 2nd gear downshift at 30mph, and wallah, a nice engine brake that doesnt wear the tranny so badly
Sylv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #14
haTeVCM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JuztAJ_ View Post
hmm thats wierd ive tried just flooring it and it actually takes longer so what i do is i go down like 3/4 of the way and then at mid to high rpm range (when in vtech) i go the rest of the way and i feel more power come out of it kinda as if flooring it is giving the engine too much gas and taking longer to pick up. anyone else notice this?
wow yah i definitely notice that same thing... its all b/c of the vcm. from what ive read.. when the car is in drive and at a stop i guess its kinda in the eco mode so when you floor it... it bogs down and has to get out of eco. i know our trannys are very good mid speed and i would always race from a 40mph rolling rather than a stop.
seantyler18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #15

I use that a lot on my 7 gen. I drop to D3 on the highway too in anticipation of a down shift because the I4 is so slow it's better to have the low gear engaged already.

My tranny is at 80k, it had what seemed to be some slipping on very light acceleration but since I did 3 drain and fills it has been perfect for around 10k miles now
Furple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:30 AM   #16
Humble

Im gona try that!
7gv6coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in