EX or EX V6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1

EX or EX V6

Ok I need some help. I'm a returning Accord owner, and I don't know which one to get.

I had the I4 before when it was 160hp, and it felt sluggish. And I also had the last 258hp model and was pretty pleased with it.

Now I'm really trying to watch my wallet here so I'm debating on the EX with the 190hp or the EX V6 with the 268hp.

I guess I need some help to decide if the extra $3k is worth the hp?

(I'm looking at the sedan)

Thank you!!
Learning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM   #2
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
You will regret not getting the v6 if you get the i4 but you will regret getting the v6 because of gas prices.
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Bobby Lane Racing

the new v6 gets pretty good gas mileage though i'd assume with vcm
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Street Brawler

Get the V6. It only gets 2mpg worse then the i4 but with a lot more power. You'd be looking at an extra $4 or so a fill up with the v6 if you were to take both cars down to empty. Just eat one less whopper meal per fill up and you'll even out
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #5

If the gas mileage factor is not a concern, I would DEFINITELY spend extra 3k or so for V6 engine. The smoothness of Honda V6 is lovely. You don't want to be hauling that big ass coupe/sedan on up hill with 4 banger.
ex2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
4.0L

wow I didn't know the 8th gen had VCM. it's about time Honda went that route instead of shaving off performance everywhere else. if it's only 2mpg worse...get the V6. you're going to hate driving a 4 cyl.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
ELP_JC

To be quite honest, I much rather have the V6 for the above reasons, but that VCM scares me. If you plan to keep the car beyond warranty, and if you're in a tight budget, then the 4 (but the 190hp) would make more sense.

I'm buying the 6MT, which does not have VCM, nor cam phasing, making it a lot less complicated. And that's what I wanted. But there's definitely a fuel mileage penalty. The good news is it drinks regular, and it actually returns better mileage than the higher rated (by the EPA) Altima and Eclipse V6s. Good luck with your decision.
JC
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I wouldn't buy an Accord without at least trying an Altima. All of their automatics are CVTs, which work GREAT with 4-cylinder engines, and they're very very efficient too. The Altimas get about 2 mpg overall better than the Accords, both V6 and 4-cyl. The 4-cyl CVT Altima is over a second faster to 60 mph than the 4-cyl Accords, including even the 190hp version I think. Apparently the VCM on the V6 Accords ain't all it's cracked up to be when the rest of the car is now bloated and bigger than ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM   #9

vsex for the win
V DuBb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #10
7th Gen ACcord

listen to steve and try out the new altimas
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in