Well, looks like it'll be a Red/Black, 6MT, Navi. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
ELP_JC

Well, looks like it'll be a Red/Black, 6MT, Navi.

Loved the 135i, but with no reliability history on the turbo engine, not stellar reliability even on non-turbos, and no discount at all, I can't justify $14,500 more for it. And it was with bluetooth but no Navi. Used to V8 power for a long time, I need at least 250hp, and the 230hp 128i (and only 200 tq) engine just felt inadequate. It's not that slower than the 6MT, but feels much more lethargic in normal driving... and still 10 grand more than the 6MT.

Definitely need Bluetooth, so had to go with the Navi. And I'm glad I did: $28,500 vs $27,500 (+TTL) for the non-Navi. That's 55% discount, and even though I didn't want it, it'd be stupid not to take it just for resale alone.

I got $21.5K for my immaculate '06 GTO with 6.7K miles (and $3K in extras), which is a huge loss, but am ready for a change. Biggest reason is safety (no side or curtain airbags, plus no VSA, and obviously fuel economy (lousy mileage PLUS premium fuel). The good thing is I can sell it on my own while the new car arrives in about 2 months, but I have the option to trade it in at the agreed price. A fair deal IMO.

Hey, have 1 question: Is the sound system any better with Navi on the 6MT? The 135i had a 7-band equalizer with iDrive (Navi), but none without. All I'll do to the car is shorten the broom- stick long gear shaft and 35% tint. Tomorrow I'll know more details about when to expect the car. Take care gang.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; May 22nd, 2008 at 08:36 PM..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #2

Where do you like in El paso? Not many members from EPT on here.
hollandca12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #3

Hey JC, I live in el paso as well. Not many members on this forums from west texas. Where are you getting from Rudulphs or El Paso Honda.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM   #4
ELP_JC

Hey folks, it just occurred to me: Should I wait for the '09s??? Dealer hasn't confirmed the deal yet (trade amount needed approval from owner), so I could pull out. Car will arrive basically when '09s will be out, no?

There're 2 things at stake here: '09s are around the corner, and I'd have an old car (depreciated) right off the bat. Plus I didn't really want black interior, but beige even less, so if gray would be offered in '09, I'd seriously think getting one, but the question is if I could buy it at the same discount. Decisions, decisions. I'd appreciate your comments. Thank.
JC
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandca12 View Post
Not many members from EPT on here.
Heeeey buddy, you can say that again. I live in the upper valley, by Lincoln Middle School. How about you? Do you own a gen8?

To answer your other question, Rudolph is much closer to me, but they just don't deal. Have bought all my 4 Hondas from El Paso Honda. Great to hear from you.
JC
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to indowanksta88
if u can spend an extra 10k, i would get the TL-s 6mt instead
indowanksta88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #7
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by indowanksta88 View Post
if u can spend an extra 10k, i would get the TL-s 6mt instead
I can, but for that money I'd get the RWD 135i instead. The TL-S is basically a tarted-up Accord; just can't justify it, but I appreciate the suggestion. Have a great long weekend ahead.
JC
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to indowanksta88
np man, that is true, but haha imo the tl-s looks sooo sexy
indowanksta88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9

cool, I like red over black and kind of wish I'd sprung for the navi myself. Sometimes I get a buzz from the sub-woofers and have to turn the bass down. Other times no problem. Apparently others have described this. Otherwise no problems.
I think your car would look great with HFP kit, suspension and wheels!
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #10
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by indowanksta88 View Post
imo the tl-s looks sooo sexy
No question about that; the real question is if $10K sexier. And then you're already in RWD territory, namely the G37 and 135i. It's a matter of preference, I guess, but no way I'd spring for a FWD over a RWD for the same coin.

Thanks Jim. I didn't want Navi man, but Honda forced me to by not offering the Bluetooth with the V6. I've never used it in my previous cars, and prefer a portable one anyway so I can use it for hiking and motorcycle trips. Oh well. Have a great long weekend folks.
JC
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM   #11

Picture your Red Coupe lowered and with this wheels .
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM   #12
ELP_JC

Hey Chaqui, you're like the devil man ; tempting people to spend their money on mods. Those wheels are gorgeous. But I'm done modding my cars; that's why I make sure I can live with the wheels, sound system, etc. I put $3K on my GTO, and am losing over 10 grand in 1-1/2 years. And don't forget still have to shell out about 8 grand for the Accord. Unfortunately, it'll have to stay stock, other than tint and shortening the shift lever. Thank you for posting that photo. Take care.
JC
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #13

Hehe!!!!
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP_JC View Post
Hey folks, it just occurred to me: Should I wait for the '09s??? Dealer hasn't confirmed the deal yet (trade amount needed approval from owner), so I could pull out. Car will arrive basically when '09s will be out, no?
First of all, the trim you're looking at getting (EX-L V-6 6MT w/Nav) is NOT going to be one of the first trims produced, so your wait will be even longer (most likely closer to late Fall timeframe). Even then it's hit or miss if they have the color available that you want. That early in the new model year's production cycle is a bad time for specific requests, as "special orders" are nearly impossible because initial allotments have already been set up and doled out. You'd have to get lucky for the trim and color to be near you AND available (if another dealer had it they'd most likely be hard-pressed to want to trade it away unless they had a done deal already in hand and your dealer had exactly what they needed).

Also, you can almost be guaranteed that there'll be NO DISCOUNT on the '09s (Coupe or otherwise) until all the '08s are gone, so you'll be spending more and waiting longer. Still sound like a good idea?

Quote:
Plus I didn't really want black interior, but beige even less, so if gray would be offered in '09, I'd seriously think getting one...
If memory serves, Gray has never been an option in the Coupe. Even the puke light blue color they had in '06/'07 had a black interior.

It's either black or ivory for the Coupe, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that addition.

All-in-all I'd say you should jump on what you have on the table instead of waiting.
Darth Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Heeeey buddy, you can say that again. I live in the upper valley, by Lincoln Middle School. How about you? Do you own a gen8?

To answer your other question, Rudolph is much closer to me, but they just don't deal. Have bought all my 4 Hondas from El Paso Honda. Great to hear from you.
JC
Hey,

I live on the westside not to far from you near kohlberg elementary. I have a 04 6sp. I looked aroud town forever before I finally found one. Neither Rudulph or EP Honda were very helpful. After much patience I found a my present car at **** Poe toyota. I purchased it for 19,500 with only 6k miles in September '05. I've tastfully modded it over the past 3 years. I went and looked at the new accord coupes and was not overly impressed. My next car will a G37, e46 M3, or 335i coupe. I also have a 3G TL.... so no more honda's for now.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #16
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
All-in-all I'd say you should jump on what you have on the table instead of waiting.
Convincing argument. I ordered the car today, but darn dealer backed down on the trade because 'it could change'. They didn't ask me for a deposit since they changed the game, but after 40 days, when the car gets built (and a VIN available), they're going to tell me how much for my car, and if I want to secure the 6MT, would have to give a deposit then. It's pretty obvious they're going to low-ball me on the GTO even more, but I set the bar at that point, and will keep my word; it's already at wholesale, and car is absolutely immaculate, 6K miles, and $3K of tasteful extras. I already started trying to sell it on my own, but it's possible I might end up keeping it folks; the math just doesn't add up: 10 grand for only 2 mpg better on 4K miles a year, and same insurance? We're talking $128 more in fuel per year. Can't justify losing a penny more.

Hey HollandCa, we live pretty close buddy. My brother also has an '04, but auto (red/black). He's trading it for a 135i coupe (couldn't justify the M3), but manual this time. I'm going back to cheaper cars after 10 years of buying expensive ones (last one was $62K '04 SC430). They're not worth it man; take it from me. Will never spend more than $40K again, and that's even if I win the lottery. And no need to. The 135i, as an example, runs circles around all cars I've had, and it's more fun, and more fuel efficient. The G37 is another great example. And if you prefer FWD over RWD (I don't, for the same price), the TL-S is in that ball park as well.

Now, may I ask you if you know how to remove the knob on your 6MT? I know it's threaded, but boot is attached to the knob, and don't know how to release it. I also need to know how the boot is attached to the console. Only mod I want to do is shorten the shaft (1-1/2" or so), rethread it, and reinstall knob so it looks stock. After that I can figure out how to remove the shaft. Later.
JC
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Now, may I ask you if you know how to remove the knob on your 6MT? I know it's threaded, but boot is attached to the knob, and don't know how to release it. I also need to know how the boot is attached to the console.
All you have to do is pull down on the snap ring at the base of the shift knob. Once that's released the knob will just screw off (lefty loosy).

Then you need to pop up the entire center console piece. To do that:

-You lift up firmly on the two little panels at the front of the console (one covers the electrical outlet and the other is a small change cubby).

-Once that's released you have to unplug the outlet and seat heaters underneath.

-Then at the aft section of the console, just under the armrest, you have to pull up to release it.

-After that it's all pretty much a cinch to get up (there's some clips along the sides).

As for how the boot is attached to the console itself...I don't recall. It's been a long time since I had mine up and the boot wasn't an issue for me at the time.

At any rate, I'd definitely look into getting a nicer knob to go along with a shortened shaft. The stock knob is ugly and bulky as hell.
Darth Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #18
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
All you have to do is pull down on the snap ring at the base of the shift knob.
From the outside, with everything in place? I tried it on the 6MT I test-drove, and gave up for fear of breaking it. It must have some tabs somewhere that you can press to avoid breaking something, no? Or maybe it snaps off easier starting from one side (front/rear/etc)? I remember feeling all around the 'ring', and felt nothing, and thought maybe it was secured from the inside, like somebody suggested.

As far as removing the boot from the console, no need for that. I meant that if it wasn't required to pop the whole console off, abut apparently that's the case. Hey, so no screws or bolts at all on the console? And just to make super sure, your instructions were on an 8gen Coupe, correct? Thanks buddy.
JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in