Why same price for 6MT than 5AT? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1
ELP_JC

Why same price for 6MT than 5AT?

Didn't think of it until now. Auto is usually a $1,200 upgrade on Honda vehicles available with both.

According to the brochure (which is WRONG on the A/C filter), there're no differences between the two other than tranny and a slightly different intake. And one darn extra gear and a bit more plastic can't cost $1,200, no? I thought the 6MT had a limited slip diff, which would definitely justify leaving price alone, but didn't read that anywhere.

Am I missing some other difference? And do you think leaving the price the same was justified? Or Honda just took advantage of us enthusiasts knowing we'd pay the same price as autos anyway? Let's hear from the gang.
JC
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #2

I'm fairly certain that the Accord does not have LSD.

And I think it's justified to leave the price alone as far as the tranny is concerned. It's 6 gears instead of 5, and indeed enthusiasts will pay it.

Where I think there should be a price difference is at the engine. No complexities of VCM...also no gas savings. A little bit of compensation would have been nice from Honda on this point. However, we also get more power due to the non-VCM motor, which enthusiasts wanting a 6-speed are more apt to want over a couple MPG.
Darth Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3

NO LSD in teh 6-6... but there is a fair bit of speculation that the TL type S OEM LSD will fit :-P
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
its a 6mt.

Last edited by NexsoN; May 25th, 2008 at 09:45 AM..
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
Where I think there should be a price difference is at the engine. No complexities of VCM...also no gas savings. However, we also get more power due to the non-VCM motor
Very good point buddy... except the power comment; they're rated identical, and at the same rpm. I raised questons about that, suggesting the non-VCM maybe wasn't tested, but was (gently) shut down by several members here, so am assuming they're the same indeed.

As a final non-related comment, I was a bit surprised how short 1st gear is, making it almost useless. When I was exiting the dealer, I was at almost 4K rpm when I passed the median (crossing the street), and didn't take off fast at all. It'd have been nice a longer 1st, and a longer 6th as well. But no car is perfect, so am okay with it. Good day.
JC
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Most manufacturers don't give you a discount for buying a manual transmission anymore. The volumes are low enough and the regulatory certification costs are high enough that it's not economically feasible to be able to offer discounts on manuals anymore. Now you have to pay for the privilege. I'm wondering if we'll maybe see a resurgence in manual transmissions in the U.S. All other factors being equal (they're not in the Accord's case anymore), manual transmissions will deliver better fuel economy. It didn't matter much before, but it might matter now with $4/gal gas.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #7
NBP UA7

Send a message via AIM to StiLLHeRe153
stevtec his in on the nose... production is the key
StiLLHeRe153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #8
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
All other factors being equal (they're not in the Accord's case anymore), manual transmissions will deliver better fuel economy.
I don't think that's the case anymore man, especially with 5 or 6-sp autos on larger engines. In the G37, A5 is ahead in city but behind in highway. BMW's A6 is better in both. Autos are way better now than a decade ago. MB and Lexus, with their 7 and 8-sp autos, would be a lot better if they offered manual on their cars. On a puny 4-cyl engine with an A4 or M5, maybe yes, due to the torque converter eating a good chunk of the little power available.

Finally, BMW charges $1,250 extra for its 6-sp auto, plus $100 if you want paddle shifters. It'd have been nice to at least get better brakes with the 6MT. Take care.
JC
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #9

What sucks is u end up paying more for manual, since its a rare car, dealers wont mark down as much
V DuBb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in