GTO sold. 6MT in this week, but affected by TSB. What to do??? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
ELP_JC

GTO sold. 6MT in this week, but affected by TSB. What to do???

Ordered my 6MT last week, and was supposed to be produced next month (supposedly out of the TSB's range), but dealer just told me car will be in this week. They apparently 'grabbed' it from available Honda inventory. Asked for VIN, and it's smack in the middle of the TSB's range: 014539, and TSB goes up to 027012.

Have many doubts, and need your help to make up my mind. Let me start:

1. With this car arriving this week, and being VIN 014539, I SERIOUSLY doubt 6MTs being produced next month will be over VIN 027012. Honda only makes 2K 6MTs a month (AFAIK), which can only mean Honda made a $hitload of engines that will take months to wipe out, no? Am I wrong?

2. NOBODY has said exactly what is involved to fix this TSB. Does anybody know for a fact??? And are the bad parts affecting the VTEC cam, normal cam, or both? 'No big deal' is not an answer. I want to make that determination myself. It sounds at least as bad as a valve adjustment, something that's not normally needed until 100K miles. And yes, it's not a bigger deal than replacing pistons, for instance, but I don't want my brand new car getting that kind of engine work done, especially on a small town like mine, where my dealer is not even aware of this TSB.

3. What would you do? I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.
Even though I sold my car much sooner than expected, I can wait another month if I have to, but dealer doesn't know what VIN new cars will have, and don't want to wait a month only to find out new VIN is still within TSB's range.
In my view, buying one of these cars is like buying a car with 25K, 50K, or even 75K miles of wear right off the bat, so I'd rather have it fixed than not, but being a TSB, it might never get fixed. And as you know, TSBs expire with the warranty. I've had such a bad luck with cars, am reluctant to roll the dice yet once more. I'm getting rid of my GTO for noisy valvetrain, only to buy a Honda with the same darn thing? Hell no. Seems like the only sensible solution is to drive the car before doing the deal, and if the engine sounds noisier than I like, walk away, and either order a new one (if assured VIN wll be over TSB), or buy something else. Looking forward to your comments gang.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:17 PM..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM   #2

Its no big deal... That's what I would do, that's what I have done.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Its no big deal... That's what I would do, that's what I have done.
With all due respect, you don't even seem to know anything about this issue. And if you know something, just answer my question and let me arrive at my own conclusion. If it's not a 'big deal' to you, congratulations. But IT IS a big deal to me; just want to judge how much of a big deal to make a more informed decision.

To others who might want to help: What's the TSB#??? As usual, dealer can't find it. Since nobody here seems to know ANYTHING about this potential problem, and how to correct it, I need a TSB number so dealer can pull it out for me and I can see what's involved in the repair. And ask questions that might help me put me at ease, etc.

Car just arrived, and it'll only be on hold for me today. Will leave shortly to drive it, but if I can't get more info on this, and I hear the engine even a bit more noisy than SHOC V6 Honda engines (my MDX had one) I've heard, I'll reluctantly let the car go, and probably buy something else (it'll take MANY months to hit VIN 027012). I want the Accord, but am so freaking tired of having car problems, that I'm not going to choose one that I'm almost certain to face at least this problem (with my luck, I WOULD get it). Unfortunately, no experts on this board to help me, so will have to gamble it on my own. Later.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; June 3rd, 2008 at 12:48 PM..

Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
GO HOKIES

Send a message via AIM to viper4343
i would try and work some sort of deal in with the purchase of the vehicle. Maybe try and get a deal on extended warranty since it is a known issue. Usually the extended warranty is worthless but it would be worth a shot. Honda has been good to me and with the isses ive had with my 7th gen. Even out of warranty Honda of America has taken care of me.
viper4343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5
ELP_JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper4343 View Post
i would try and work some sort of deal in with the purchase of the vehicle. Maybe try and get a deal on extended warranty since it is a known issue. Usually the extended warranty is worthless but it would be worth a shot. Honda has been good to me and with the isses ive had with my 7th gen. Even out of warranty Honda of America has taken care of me.
Thanks a lot man. This is exactly the kind of help that's useful, even if it doesn't specifically addresses the question. Really appreciate it buddy. Have to leave now; wish me luck. Take care.
JC
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP_JC View Post
With all due respect, you don't even seem to know anything about this issue.
How do you come to this conclusion newbie?
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #7

JC,
I'm not really aware of the issue but agree with viper's advice.
I really do think you'll be alright if you establish a paper trail of communication about the issue with your dealer. Discuss it with both the Service Manager and your salesperson.
There's a TSB out on my MDX right now but Acura doesn't yet know the source of the problem (which is intermittant) or how to fix it. No recall has been sent but I've documented my conversations with the dealer about it. Don't ask your dealer to document these discussions, they wont. Do it yourself, date, time, name of the person you talked to, etc....
FWIW, I've not heard anything abnormal from my valve train. I'm of the opinion that all Honda motors have alot of valve tappet noise (sound like sewing machines at idle)...
Best of luck to you.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Refuse delivery of your car and then go buy a SINGLE SPEED Huffy. There's plenty of experts here but you can't lead a horse to water. Just because your car falls within the range of a TSB doesn't mean that you "WILL" have the problem.

There's no reason for them to do the TSB before you even take delivery of the car if it isn't even going to affect your specific car. Buy the car, tell them about the TSB, if it develops the issue take it in and have them fix it. DONE. Yes, it's that simple. No car is perfect. That's what service departments and TSBs and warranties are for.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #9
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
3. What would you do? I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.
Get over it.

Quote:
In my view, buying one of these cars is like buying a car with 25K, 50K, or even 75K miles of wear right off the bat
That's simply absurd. A BRAND NEW engine with some marginal parts tolerance issue isn't going to miraculously develop 75k miles of wear on the WHOLE engine right off the bat. I bet if you did an oil analysis at 5000 miles on the thing that you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference.

Quote:
but being a TSB, it might never get fixed. And as you know, TSBs expire with the warranty.
It says right in the TSB that they can goodwill it. Wanna know why Nissan and Toyota dealerships are all renovated and look super nice but Honda dealerships are more run down and not renovated? Because Honda dumps all of that money into customer service and doing things for customers like this even when they're not technically required to. Honda has some of the best customer service in the business.

Quote:
I've had such a bad luck with cars, am reluctant to roll the dice yet once more.
Single Speed HUFFY.

Quote:
I'm getting rid of my GTO for noisy valvetrain, only to buy a Honda with the same darn thing? Hell no. Seems like the only sensible solution is to drive the car before doing the deal, and if the engine sounds noisier than I like, walk away, and either order a new one (if assured VIN wll be over TSB), or buy something else. Looking forward to your comments gang.
JC
Nothing is perfect. If you wait you'll just find another TSB that affects the next batch to worry yourself silly about. I said long ago that you'd be far better off just waiting for a 2nd or 3rd year car though.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Don't feed the trolls.
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Bobby Lane Racing

go buy a ford if you are so worried about purchasing the 6 speed. hopefully you don't get found on road dead.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #12
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Just because your car falls within the range of a TSB doesn't mean that you "WILL" have the problem.

agreed, there supposedly TSB for 3rd gear for 6mt for my car but i dont have problems yet so i guess its hit or miss
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in