Slightly more power for the V6 for the 2009 MY? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Slightly more power for the V6 for the 2009 MY?

I was just browsing Honda's site and noticed that they had the pricing and specs for the 2009 Accord listed. So I decided to take a look and immediately noticed that the power ratings for the V6 model were up for 2009:

268HP @ 6200RPM
248TQ @ 5000RPM

271HP @ 6200RPM
254TQ @ 5000RPM (251TQ @ 5000RPM 6MT Coupe)

Only 3 horsepower and 6 foot-pounds of torque (3 for the 6MT Coupe, WTF?), but still worth mentioning. But the question is: How'd they do it?

Since it's only the second year of the 8th gen's life, I'm assuming Honda didn't make any physical changes to the motor.

They probably just made a few ECU tweaks to squeeze out those slight gains. Or, maybe they decided to make the J35Z a premium fuel engine for 2009 and revised the power ratings accordingly. The increase in torque output seems to suggest that could be the case, as data logging my J30A5's timing advance has shown that premium gas makes a bigger difference in the low-end and mid-range (2000-5000 RPM) than at the top-end (6000 to Redline).

What's more curious than the up-rated numbers for 2009 is the difference between the J35Z2's (A/T) and J35Z3's (6MT) numbers. How is the A/T version rated higher in torque when the 6MT has been dyno-proven to make a shia-load more power even when you remove the loss differences between the transmissions? Something doesn't add up here...

Well, anyway, it's all up in the air until Hondanews.com releases the latest press info in the coming weeks. It'll be interesting to see what they actually did to accomplish these minor gains.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #2
NBP UA7

Send a message via AIM to StiLLHeRe153
ugh same thing happend to the tl... they changed nothing... SAE or watever its called changes its standards
StiLLHeRe153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

SAE J1349 was last updated in August 2004 so it's not that. And after that went into effect, all of the Japanese engines dropped in rated power because they were all LYING before!

Honda probably just couldn't handle that Nissan had more HP/L (270) and they were only doing the same as Toyota despite having VTEC. We all know that Honda must ALWAYS have the most horsepower per liter in its class. It's their raison d'etre.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/812/releases/4656

Quote:
3 Testing of production engines for horsepower and torque output of the 2008 Accord V-6 has revealed that the average horsepower and torque produced by these engines is higher than originally estimated prior to the start of mass production. Though there have been no design changes to the engines to create more power, the horsepower and torque ratings for the 2009 models have been increased to reflect the actual output of the engines. For 2009, 271 hp replaces 268 hp on all V-6 models, 254 lb-ft. replaces 248 lb-ft. on automatic transmission models and 251 lb-ft. replaces 248 lb-ft. on manual transmission models.
Soooo... looks like they had a little slack in their ratings. No change to the engine, so the '09 won't be any faster.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #4

If you look at the overseas service manuals... the 08 6's were rated at 273. Only the north american market was down graded (on paper)
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5

SAME EXACT engine, ecu, etc. there is not a single thing different other than revised numbers. Why the sudden revision? Beats me but everything is the same. SO '09 Accords are no better than '08 (whew~! I would be sad if there were changes)
justeddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
If you look at the overseas service manuals... the 08 6's were rated at 273. Only the north american market was down graded (on paper)
They may have been rated on a different fuel. They probably didn't have North American emissions gear. They may not have been quoting SAE numbers. There's also JIS and DIN which produce similar but not quite the same numbers. So in other words, apples to oranges.
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7

I have search and search but i can't find the diffrence of h/p 268/271 . Has anyone been able to find the facts of diffrence on h/p?
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Triathlete

I haven't been able to find anything. Sorry.
James_Matteu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #9

The difference is because of the rating methods used, and not because the engine is, or has been made more powerful..
argus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM   #10

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...47&postcount=3
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Apples to apples
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in