purchasing a newer car! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1
ATU

purchasing a newer car!

Stellar Question folks, and I dont want everyone to be bias...lol! Anyway I currently own a 4th Gen 1999 Nissan Maxima Se-Auto with about 200K and it runs like a gem. I ready to purchase another vehicle, the two on my list are the 07-08 Nissan Maxima SE or the very first 8th Gen 2008 Honda AV6. Without being bias if there is such a thing which one is a better buy? Just for FYI I owned a 6th gen a few years back an 05 Av6 and I loved that car, I miss it! My maxima is awesome as well but which one is better? My price range is 20-22k! Help me out!
dustynhugee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2
ATU

I stand corrected a had a 7th gen!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
ATU

Anybody??

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
lol wut

TBH the 8th gen Accord community on V6P is rather quiet since most of them are on DriveAccord.net or My8thGen.com but to answer your question the best I can.

The Accord will (in my unbiased opinion haha) offer more safety features and slightly better fuel economy than the Maxima.

However, if you're looking for a more feature-rich car, I think the Maxima surpasses the Accord on that one. For a 2008 model, the Accord seems to lack a lot of things that it's competitors have to offer, like OEM HID, 6spd transmission, split folding style rear seat, less plastic(y) interior, etc. Most of which the Maxima has to offer.

Aside from those differences, they're both pretty much the same car I think. I'm not exactly sure what else comes on the 08 Maxima SE, but I would assume it's comparable to the Accord EX V6 model.

Power-wise, the Accord trumps the Maxima in the HP department, offering a little over 10HP more, whereas the Maxima has a little over 10ft/lb torque more than the Accord. But I think the Maxima's motor has more aftermarket support out there and more potential to become even faster with slight mods compared to the Accord's J-series motor. The Maxima has a 3.5L DOHC motor compared to the very prehistoric SOHC J-series motor that Honda still uses in it's V6 equipped cars (3.5L SOHC for the 08 Accord). I say prehistoric because Honda has been using the J-series motor for a really long time now, however the J-series has come a long way and is pretty different in it's current state compared to the original.

Fuel economy-wise? The Accord offers better fuel economy on the highway mostly because of it's VCM system which shuts off a certain number of cylinders at cruising speeds to decrease fuel consumption. City driving I doubt you'd notice a difference in gas mileage between the two. However, the Maxima does offer a slightly larger fuel tank. I think it's about a gallon bigger than the Accord's.

Styling-wise, this is pretty subjective. I personally think the Accord's exterior styling is better than the Maxima. I'm not a real fan of the bubbly shape and funky looking taillight design it has. Interior styling, I'm kinda up in the air about that. I think the Maxima does offer a sleeker looking designed interior, but some parts of the interior are a bit touchy. The Accord is pretty basic and simple inside, and to some that's better. I do enjoy the simplicity of the Accord's interior sometimes.

Hope my opinions were pretty unbiased and at least somewhat helpful to you haha good luck in your search of a new car!
ricerocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM   #5
ATU

Thanks ricerocket! so everybody is on driveaccord .net huh! I will check it out!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #6
lol wut

Well as far as the 8th gen community most of them are over there yeah. Still love V6P over all any day tho hahaha
ricerocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in