Torque Converter symptoms - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 8TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2008-2012)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Torque Converter symptoms

Have had a constant vibration in all gears, mostly under WOT but sometimes with light coasting.
Thought it was axles, even though they only have 30k on them.
Axles looked fine, indy suggested half-shaft because the grease was leaking a tad.
Still vibrates, its been over a year now, of vibration.
It's also been about 6 months since the new half-shaft.

Thinking it could be the torque converter.
Also, get a heavy metal click, like a slap/loud tick on deceleration. It does not happen all the time, but 4 out of 10, after the cars been driven.

Would love to swap in a beefier 5AT from something like an odyssey but not sure what would swap into a J35Z2.

Thanks for reading!
Begging for HELPPPP!

Oh yeah, my indy suggested it was my bent rims but this vibration is really bad, and it goes away when you reach 4th gear, its very inconsistent, so I don't think its my rims.

Gets really bad >3k RPM going 70 then goes away after switching gears, and coasting, but as soon as you give gas again, the whole interior and foot-well is VIBRATING LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE.
beekayhoax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #2
The Jester

Have you checked suspension components? Steering arms and tie rods and sway bar mounts? The compliance bushings and control arms?
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Yes, they are all mint.
LCA bushings, upper arm, struts, LBJ, sway bars, tie rods, all new.
Never helped anything.

Old January 16th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #4
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Have you checked the bushings/bearings on the tranny case where the axles go in?

On the 7th gen automatics, that bushing/bearing will wear out and will allow the axle assembly, or perhaps the half-shaft, to "float" or move around. That type of problem will cause vibration. Might be applicable to the 8th gens...
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #5

Yes, this was going to be my next step, after I've already tried my halfshaft and it hasn't helped. Is this the carrier bearing that everyone speaks of?
I heard I might have to disassemble the AT to get to it, at that point, might just be worth rebuilding.

In the parts diagram is the bearing under "AT - Mainshaft" or??

Thanks!

Last edited by beekayhoax; February 2nd, 2016 at 11:07 PM..
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Here's all the things I've changed in the car, in hopes of quelling the rough ride/vibration.

- Axles ($350)
- Halfshaft ($300)
- Motor mounts ($1100)
- Tie Rods
- Front/Rear Links
- Struts (HFP > FortuneAuto)
- Upper Control Arms (BJ was going bad)
- LCA Compliance Bushings (Worn out by 100k because, I've hit a few curbs )

Most of these things I did not change because of vibration but because, they were worn. I did expect the motor mounts to help but it did nothing.
I only thought they were the culprit because at idle, I had a vibration, which turnt out to be my mechman 170A alternator with crappy bearings that over heat.

The vibration is mostly at the top of 3rd, around 35-40, then when the car shifts, it goes away until I hit >2500rpm. At WOT, sometimes there is no vibration, sometimes there is a ton. It is very heavy at 65-70, as well.
But then, I can do 80-90 at the top of 4th, no problem.
Vibration is not present when the car is first started in the morning, only after a few nice pulls to warm up the transmission, leading me to another indicator of torque converter overheating.
The fact it is mostly at WOT, and 25-40, leads me to the fact it might also be the 3rd gear clutch packs, since the car downshifts at WOT to 3rd.
I've heard these clutch packs clog up because of the inability to change our filters, leading to damage to the gears/diffs.
But I'm no expert, so I might be talking gibberish

I have had a B&M transmission cooler since I purchased the car at 50k, and have done roughly 5 drain and fills with Amsoil ATF, every so often (6 months).
Plus Honda had also done one, after replacing the engine, but they used DW-1, I switched back to Amsoil ATF shortly after.

I really think its the torque converter because the problem got worse after having my engine replaced by Honda under goodwill, maybe the torque converter had been dry and it had caused damage upon first turnover.

Now my question is, shall I purchase a new torque converter $500+, pay $500+ for installation? Risk gonig back in to the tranny.
This vibration has been very strong, and I've driven over 40k miles with it, thinking maybe I've caused transmission damage, as well.

Any alternate transmissions I can consider?
Odyssey?

NA-AV6 had suggested a low mileage Odyssey, wondering if anyone else has any ideas! Appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in