Accord V6 Forum banner

Intake manifold spacer questions

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Scottwax 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered but I am new to the forums and the search didn't give me what I was looking for. Can anybody tell me specifically what I will need for this mod? Space, gasket, and longer bolts is my understanding? Also, if you could supply part numbers or where to get them I would appreciate that. Thank you.

#10 ·
?

I'm new and there doesn't seem to be much current 2018 8th gen talk here anywhere. :confused: I have to make 10 posts before I can start a new thread so here's #2. LOL

Coming from the Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth site's we look at the intake/plenum spacers as a gimmick. They make and sell them for the 3/S too. What's different about the Honda's where they seem to be so popular and talked about like they are doing something? I really don't know.

From my understand, or at least why they are marketed to us over on 3Si, the idea is to get the upper intake manifold off of the lower manifold which is bolted to the block, it's done to isolate it from the heat for the engine and therefor lower you intake temps for more dense air = power. (or at least the 3/S's have a lower manifold, but either way... it's to get it away from the heat of the block) They also sell throttle body spacers for the same reason, to get it away from the manifold to keep the TB cool. Is that correct as to why you guy's do it?

Reason I ask, is because it was pointed out that if you place your hand on the VR4's manifold/plenum when the engine is running it is cool to the touch. I confirmed this on my car even after a good bit of spirited driving. It's only until once you turn the engine off does it get hot as hell and WILL burn you. The spacer doesn't lower the temp at all. The engine sucks the heat in at such a rapid rate that the spacer does absolutely nothing except raise the manifold. At least, that is the case with my twin turbo 3000GT. I have yet to do the hand test on my Accord V6 but I don't think it being turbo has anything to do with it, it still sits at idle and cruises under vacuum just like a N/A engine.

#11 ·
Not positive on the 8th gen but I know its used as a mod on the 7th gen cars and 3rd gen TL's and from the factory on the Odyssey and MDX. I believe the factory spacer on the minivan and SUV is 1.5" thick and it improves torque by lengthening the intake tract but you lose a little bit on top end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.