Accord V6 Forum banner

Best way to lower

5K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  Thundagoose 
#1 ·
K guys im gonna be droppin my accord in a month or two and i need to know the best way to change out the springs. I got a set of DZS Motorsports 2.25 In. Lowering springs i wanna put on.. I heard a way about jacking up the spindle, unbolting everything, then lowering down the spindle and the spring should come right out, and there is the other way with getting a spring compressor and doing it like that.. what do you guys think? Also im gonna need a camber kit.. can anyone suggest a good set to buy for the 2.25in. drop? and some good struts too.. im rollin on 18's just to let you know if that may make a diff.. Thanks

#2 ·
get an R-1 camber kit - like 50+-$ on ebay
they are just what u need to adjust 2 degree camber

and get a spring compressor / rent one etc - much much easier

#3 ·
what about struts? and is the degree you can adjust the camber at the same amount as you lower it? or whats the ratio? cause if its the same id need more than 2 degree's? Sorry cowgod and everyone else for askin so many questions.. You will be gettin sick of me soon probably.

#6 · (Edited)
my camber kit has two adjustments 1.5 and 2 degree
I set it for 2 degree and did an alignment and it was fine

if you plan on using aftermarket springs, you'll need to upgrade to aftermarket shocks. I went the cheap route and score KYB GR-2 ( more less a stock OEM replacement ) and they have not given any problems at all

my suspension setup is very smooth and stock rebound if there are any bumps so it's comfortable, a smooth transfer of shock travel vs coil spring rate

#10 · (Edited)
I don't want to be a pic whore, but trust me it's close to 3"

this is stock suspension

at the dealer before I bought it - stock suspension

slammed 3" first summer I had the car with adjustable sleeve coilovers

on a joyride with a group of friends - GR-2's with stock springs, was ready for winter

last summer with tein s tech springs matched with the GR-2s

a pic the day I got my car back from the mechanic after the swap just completed

#12 ·
yes I ran it dropped once for winter, but I was a snowplow and damaged a lot of parts
it's not worth it to be dropped when we get 12-20" inch snow falls and then it turns to ice ;)

#14 ·
Thundagoose said:
Well im in Indiana in the states.. so i dont think i get as bad of weather as you :) Isnt that kinda a pain to change em out twice a year?
no because then it gives me time to inspect all the parts associated at the same time ;)

#16 ·
If you are going to go 2.25 inch drop then you might need some rear camber adjustments. My car when lowered 1.5 inches or so needed some rear camber adjustments for about .3 out of alignment but the front was just fine. Others have had no problem with camber on the 1.5 inch drop. Can't tell you why, I haven't the slightest idea. I do not know of a brand that is worth the money so maybe someone on here would know of a good brand?!?! Something to consider though definitely before you go all out. Also if a bolt is stuck and you try to pry it off and it isn't coming off be prepared to stop and take it to someone with air tools :) I learned that the hard way... :(

#19 ·
I dont think things have ratios as much as it is trial and error. It all depends on each car really and you will probably need to talk to whoever is doing the alingment and they should be able to let you know a little more on what they are going to need to give you even tire wear.

#22 ·
Ok i got the KYB Gr2 Shocks/Stut Kit for my car, so i got the Kit, the springs.. Now i just need to get a camber kit and .. Wasnt it mentioned somewhere that i would need new bushings? if so what kind or what specific type of bushings are they? Thanks Guys

#23 ·
Thundagoose said:
Ok i got the KYB Gr2 Shocks/Stut Kit for my car, so i got the Kit, the springs.. Now i just need to get a camber kit and .. Wasnt it mentioned somewhere that i would need new bushings? if so what kind or what specific type of bushings are they? Thanks Guys
your more than likely gonna need new lower strut bolts for the rear, but you might as well get the bushing also for the rear since it usually seizes up on the car. i replaced all my front bushings with the energy suspension kit, but keep in mind that it will make squishing noises on cold days and if your gonna have a shop do all the work, im sure it will cost you and arm and a leg. i spent the whole day at my cousins shop doing my whole suspension: struts, springs, bushings, and a couple of other things.

#24 ·
Thanks.. Do you know the price for full set of front and rear bushings? and how much the strut bolts are? I wanna get an idea of what im looking at so i dont look so shocked at the parts store if its gonna be a fortune.. I plan on having using my dads polebarn/weldingshop to do the lower with him helping.. He's got every tool possibly needed to do the job so with me and him doing the lower it shouldnt be too bad of time.. Whats gonna be making the car make squishing sounds on cold days? Is that gonna be permanent?

#26 ·
the squishing sound only happens if you have polyurethane bushings and the lower strut bolts wont cost too much but i forgot how much that rear lower bushing or whatever the bolt goes through costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.