My new system build with pics - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
My new system build with pics

Hey guys, Well im doing my first ever system build in my car and thought i'd show some progress pics so far. I decided to keep my stock headunit to keep the stock look inside. no matter how cool a an aftermarket headunit is, i just cant get over the fact that they come with stupid layouts, retardedly small buttons and text, and imo ugly faces, no offense to those of you who like that stuff, its just not my cup of tea. the ones i do like happen to cost close to a grand so that's not gonna happen. anyways, here are my system specs:

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 component speaker (front doors)
Infinity Reference 9613i 6x9s (rear deck)
Infinity 475a 4ch. Amplifier 75watts x 4 @ 4ohm (for the front and rear speakers)
Infinity 1600a mono Amplifier 400watts x 1 @ 4ohm (for the sub)
JL Audio 13W3V3-4 13.5 inch Subwoofer
Custom built and designed enclosure
Second Skin Damplifier on doors and rear deck and trunk lid
Removed 3rd brake light (i have a spoiler)
Reupholstered rear deck with black fabric

wires:
KnuKonceptz 4gauge for power and ground to the amps
KnuKonceptz in-line fuse 150A
KnuKonceptz distribution block to split the power cables to each amp.
16gauge for the 4 speakers and tweaters
12gauge for the sub and its amp.

most of my parts have not come in yet, they're coming in late next week and next weekend, i'll start building my box with my friend, then a couple days after that, i'll install the equipment and get to tuning it.

Here are a few pics for now, i'll update pics as i do more stuff

In these pics, what i've done so far is just remove the necessary panels, clean up a bit, and i've also laid out my speaker wire for the front doors and installed the crossover boxes. one crossover box is under the driver side footwell and the other is inside my glovebox so that means i have 2 pairs of speaker wire running into each door.

my sub box specs: (i am going to make the box about 1.5inches deeper than what's labeled in the pic)

Planned layout/design:

NOTE:** all pics of the box are drawn to scale, there is about 1.25-1.5in of gap between the edge of the sub and the edge of the plexi.

I have to give MAJOR PROPS to NexsoN! He's been teaching me everything i need to know for this build and has been guiding me in the right direction since the beginning. THANK YOU!!!

many more pics to come as i do more work. stay tuned!

Last edited by KnightRyder; April 6th, 2008 at 06:28 PM..
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #2
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
Hey, It is great to finally see pictures of what we been discussing heh
This coming week is going to be crazy with all those shipments! Can't wait for more pics!
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
???

Send a message via AIM to five0netvv0
lookin good so far! hope you like the infinity speakers. we'll def plan something at the end of april or early may to show off our systems.

keep posting pics
five0netvv0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #4

Nicely done...
Cherster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Vimal (vee-mall)

does anyone make tweater pods that go in the triangular panel by the mirrors? i think they're called sail panels. i'd rather not cut a hole into my door panel.
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Brad

Send a message via AIM to bdeitemeyer
Nice, keep us updated...
bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to datboiroy
nice, im bout to start my build, got all my parts comin in and just bought a new camera.
datboiroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Vimal (vee-mall)

be sure to post pics when you're done datboiroy
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
???

Guess I'll join in on the fun. I have zero experience with audio installation so I left it to the experts. I'll be picking my car up ...thursday hopefully.

more pics vimal!
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Vimal (vee-mall)

ok, here you go...

my parts pile (stereo equipment hasnt arrived yet)

my reupholstered rear deck, black fabric.

well today i did a couple things, i applied a 1/2inch layer of foam to the entire trunk in between the sheet metal and the trunk liner to keep it from hitting the metal. (sorry, forgot to take pics of that) so now when i hit pretty much any area of my trunk, no more metal contact. i bought 2 large sheets of foam from a fabric store, cost about 20 bucks. i also bought my black vinyl material today for the face of the enclosure (you can see it folded under the papers in the pic). I also fitted the rear speakers and they BARELY clear the trunk spring, theres maybe 2mm gap. so it looks like i get to keep my trunk springs and i attached a few of the speaker connectors on the cable ends. pretty much all i did today.

hopefully my Second Skin Damplifier will arrive tomorrow so i can start applying that to the deck and the doors. I think my sub is coming tomorrow to, or maybe Wednesday.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #11
V6p OG

damn thats hott!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

.:Nextstage Accord:.:Meguiars 2007-08:.:Nitto Tires:.:
:.
XxAznJoexX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Vimal (vee-mall)

tweeters installed...

edit: it looks like my specs for the sub box are way off because i took some more detailed measurements today and found several obstacles that i have to work around. im currently redesigning the shape of the box, but the layout will still be the same. the shape is going to be much more complex than i originally anticipated. stay tuned for the updated specs.

i may end up removing the rear center seat belt because the plastic holder thing in the trunk under the rear deck is getting in the way and since i RARELY... more like NEVER carry 5 people in my car, im not gonna miss it. or i just had a better idea, i'll somehow convert that rear center seat belt from a 3point shoulder belt to just a simple lap belt.

Last edited by KnightRyder; April 8th, 2008 at 02:59 PM..
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Vimal (vee-mall)

i spent all day yesterday pretty much redesigning my sub box and building a mock-up from cardboard and im glad i did because now everything fits just like i want it and all i gotta do i create a mock-up of the beauty board (the good looking part) and then transfer all these cardboard pieces to wood and build the actual box this weekend.

Walmart posterboard x2: $8
Elmers glue: $.99
Painters Tape: $5
Knowing exactly what my box will look like and how it'll fit before actually building it: $PRICELESS

pics:
the large pieces of white paper on either side of the sub are my mock-up amps, clearance is real tight.

nice tight fit against the rear seats...

barely clears the trunk spring and the rear speaker magnets...

and look at all that wonderful trunkspace that i still have

Mono AMP, and SecondSkin Damplifier are coming Thursday as well as all my power cables and accessories. 4ch AMP is coming Friday as well as the woofer grill. Sad part is that even if i finish my box build and install all equipment this weekend, i cant power it up until Monday night because my line out coverter box (LOC) wont be here till Monday its gonna drive me nuts to have a fully assembled system in my car and not be able to turn it on

Last edited by KnightRyder; April 9th, 2008 at 08:23 AM..
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Boosted

damn thats gonna look nice and clean. but make sure you the airspace is up to that w7 specs or itl sound like crap.
1nonlyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #15

looking very good...
weezo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #16
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
verynice
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #17
Vimal (vee-mall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nonlyaccord View Post
damn thats gonna look nice and clean. but make sure you the airspace is up to that w7 specs or itl sound like crap.
actually im not using a W7, im using a 13W3 and yea, the JL specs say 1.5cu.ft of airspace, their recommended dimensions are W16xH16xD14.75. if you take those measurements and adjust them to the shape of my box, i have more than enough airspace.

my box specs are rougly like this:
32 inches wide
11 inches deep at the base 6inches deep at the top. that doesnt include the about 3.5" in baffel that the sub is going to sit in, so theres a little more airspace too.

assuming my box didnt have that wedge shape in back, assume my box is W32xH14.5xD6

according to the JL specs(16x16x14.75)
if you take the 14.75 inch dept and lower it to my shallowest spot (6inches) and add the difference to the width, you end up with 24.75x16x6. then you take the 16" height and bring it down to 14.5 and add the difference to the width again, and you'll get 26.25x14.5x6. with those specs i still maintain the required volume but remember my box depth isnt actually 6 inches all the way, only at the top at the base its 11. then add in the fact that i have a 3.5" protrusion in the center where the sub sits, thats more airspace. then add in the fact that my box is nearly 6inches wider than it needs to be and i've got plenty of airspace even after i add in the huge woofer and the support braces. i probably have more enough airspace for a W7 but since im only running a W3, i'll be fine... i hope. plus my box is going to be filled with polyfil to help too.

Is there a drawback of having too much airspace? if so, its an easy fix, i'll just put in a divider inside the box, that will shorten the width a bit while maintaining the exterior dimensions.

when i first started researching this car audio stuff, i didnt know anything about anything but talking with NexsoN has gotten me pretty smart in the car audio stuff relatively quickly. again... THANKS NexsoN!

Last edited by KnightRyder; April 9th, 2008 at 08:32 AM..
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #18
-Brian

Hey! Yup a w7 box would have to be almost the size of your trunk heh. Anyhow in regards to your IM you sent me. The amps will be on when you turn on your car. You have to tap your remote wire to a 12v power source. For me I tapped mine into an empty slot in my fuse box, but you have to make sure they amps turn off once you shut down the car. For some reason some power sources run while the car is off and will cause your amps to still be on, thus draining your battery. Kinda trail and error, but must go off when the car is shut down.

So hit me up on AIM when you get to that part if you need further assistance.

Anyhow, the mock up box is looking great, just the way I thought it up in my mind!
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #19
???

loooooookin good. You are making very nice progress on your build. Time isn't going fast enough for me. I hope that my build is on schedule and will be ready 2m.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #20
Vimal (vee-mall)

new pictures of work i did ALL day today, literally from 9am to 6pm with breaks every now and then... im exhausted and still not done.

Second Skin Damplifier installed along with new speakers. foam padding inside the doors to help with unwanted noise and vibrations.

some parts that came in yesterday and today...

Damplifier going on the rear deck...

rear deck and new speakers installed, no more seatbelt, no more 3rd brake light.

Door panel and trim pieces reinstalled, nothing visible

Sub-remote:

more wires in the trunk:

i still havent gotten around to putting Damplifier on the trunk lid but that's tomorrows project. Hopefully sunday i'll start building the box with my friend but i havent been able to get in contact with him so who knows.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #21
-Brian

Man, It's all coming together!
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #22
ex scientia vera

Awesome placement of the sub remote.
Everything looks great.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to datboiroy
nicely done, well unfortunately i have to wait a couple more weeks till i start my build, i decided to upgrade the amps that i bought with more powerful ones, so im not sure when they will arrive.
datboiroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #24
Vimal (vee-mall)

well as of right now it doesnt look like im going to be building my box for another 1-2 weeks till i contact my friend. today i spent some time with the cathode light i bought for the trunk, got them wired up so they turn on when the trunk opens. also started creating the mock up for the beauty board which is much hard than the 3D sub box i made because i have to trim it so many time to get it to conform to the odd shape of the trunk, and since its different on both sides, i cant just flip one template over.

im kinda bummed out that my friend let me down since he was supposed to email me on friday to make plans for sunday and since non of that happend, im in a bummed out mood.
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #25
Vimal (vee-mall)

woo hoo! well since my friend is a no show, i decided to hook up the amp for the speakers and test them out, and first time connecting everything, and it all works perfectly. speakers sound good although i need to tune them first, the amp powers on and off immediatley thanks to the remote wire connected to one of the fuses in my drivers side fuse box. after 20minutes of playing music, the amp stayed ice cold, so no issues with heat there thank god. hopefully it holds up well after a longer period of playing music but i didnt have time to do a full blown test so this is as good as it gets for now.

since i didnt have my LOC box at the time (like 1hr ago) i hoooked my ipod directly to the RCA ports on the amp to play music and literally 5 minutes after i close the hood, and lock up the car to go inside to post this message, UPS truck rolls up with my LOC box so after a little break and consulting my buddy NexsoN, i'll hook the LOC box up and get sound playing from my stock headunit. should have that done by tonight.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #26
J35A2K23B18CSRDETT2JZLOL

wow! that's great man i gotta do mine, not intend to be as crazy as yours tho, just a simple set up... good job!

Cardomain's Showoff Of The Week 05/07/2007!!!<---CLICK HERE&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
SIRSIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #27
Vimal (vee-mall)

i think so far my build cost is up to about $1100-1200, all the big stuff like amps, speakers, woofer, wiring and stuff like that cost me close to $950 all the rest of the money went into sound dampening material, foam padding, and all the other bits and pieces i bought in preparation for my system. keep in mind that labor cost is not included since im doing the entire thing myself, the only labor im paying for is to my friend for helping build the box.

btw, my friend finally called me today and explained what happened. so we now have a new time to build my box... this Saturday and Sunday it will happen for sure. in the mean time i have speakers and woofer to test and wiring to clean up.

today i cut the power cable up into smaller pieces to run to the differnt amps and for the grounds as well. both grounds are hooked up, my distribution block is hooked up and tomorrow i'll test out my sub. today i tested and tuned the speakers. also did a little additional wiring for the LOC box which is now installed and working properly.

the wiring madness!!

the red and black wires hanging down are for my cathode lights that will sit on either side of each amp and shine through the plexi glass

the mess in the garage...

you can also see the mock up for my beauty board sitting on the side, luckily i can get it in and out of the trunk in one piece without any trouble. tomorrow i'll spend some time testing the sub even though its not in the box, i just want to make sure its working properly and to see how it sounds... also will be cleaning up (with zipties) all the wiring in preparation for this weekend.
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #28
Boosted

just a question..when u took out your 3rd brake light..do you get a red light that lights up on your gauge cluster were the pic of the car shows door open ect. saying brake light(or something)Im missing my wire to my 3rd brake light and i have that light on after i press my breaks the 1st time.jw if u have that same problem.
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #29
Vimal (vee-mall)

i bought my car used and it already had to spoiler on it so my 3rd brake light in the car was never hooked up, it was just sitting there unused for the 5.5 years i've had the car.

i've never had that light on the gauge go off. do you have a spoiler? if so then your installer took the wire that used to go to the brake light in the car and then attached a longer cable that goes up the trunk support and into the trunk lid and into the spoiler. you shouldnt be getting that light. are you sure that all your taillights are working properly? because if even one of them doesnt work or is working improperly, then your gauges will show that light.

or if you installed LED tailight bulbs anywhere in the trunk lid, you'll get that light as well but theres a fix for that.
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #30
Boosted

No my car is the EX-L package,sunroof leather ect..so its factory spoiler.with a brake light built and and the 3rd brake light thats in the back window.everything works exept i dont have a plug anymore for my 3rd brake light..lol idk if some1 took it or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in