Noise in electrical ... somewhere - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Noise in electrical ... somewhere

Im having a bit of a problem with noise somewhere in my system.
Have a half din screen installed on top (nexson/brian). ps2 in the glovebox - everything running off a hard drive.
Everything going to stock HU (with a usa-spec unit or ipod and aux in).
Ps2 goes to half din (audio and video). Then audio goes down to the usa-spec unit and into the headunit.
Ps2 powered off a +12v (cig lighter). EVERYTHING is grounded to the factory radio (ps2, cig lighters, usa-spec unit, half din).

The noise is not a typical engine noise. It is there when the car is on or off, with the hard drive connected or disconnected (though it might be noise from this but it is not). Does not increase in pitch with increase in rpm.

It is just a constant high pitch noise present when the ps2 is on. The screen also has to be on as well since the audio is passing through there.

An suggestions on how to eliminate?
benyaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Use better audio cables for the PS/2 and run a sperat ground wire to the metal of the PS2 chassis to the chassis grounf of the car.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM   #3

I am already using some good quality audio cables for the ps2. I am going to try running directly from the ps2 to the usa-spec adapter instead of going through the screen.
As far as grounding the ps2, it is a plastic case, and the ground from the power connector is already grounded to the best spot that I would have picked on the PCB.

Old June 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyaki View Post
I am already using some good quality audio cables for the ps2. I am going to try running directly from the ps2 to the usa-spec adapter instead of going through the screen.
As far as grounding the ps2, it is a plastic case, and the ground from the power connector is already grounded to the best spot that I would have picked on the PCB.
Sometimes engine noise can be really hard to trace, if you're already using good shielded RCA cables and have the rca cables run separately from the power lines, try creating a really good common ground.
Zermelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #5

Ok, was feeling pretty sick today so I just bummed around and did a couple little things.

Some more info for the noise problem.
When the car is OFF, radio is ON and ps2 powered off, there is a slight noise. unplug ps2 and it goes away (thus this is the source of all of it).
The noise gets worse when the ps2 is turned on.
It gets even worse when a hard drive is plugged into the USB port.

Here is my plan.
Since the 12V+ source seems fine, I am going to leave that. As well, it is grounded to everything else (radio,ipod/aux input, screen, etc) at the same point. going to leave that for now.
I am going to open up the ps2 and find out if I can reground a couple things in there, especially adding another ground for the USB ports.

Have a feeling that wont solve everything though - i suspect there will still be some noise when everything is off.
Any more suggestions?
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^Ground the chassis of the PS2 and the HD (find a good metal to wire screw point) and tie them to the grounding point behind the cubby just below the radio.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #7

The ps2 is already grounded there.
The problem is that the chassis of the ps2 is plastic. so I am just going to add a couple of wires (USB to power ground, power ground to internal fan, etc).
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Is it a old PS2, or a PS2 slim?
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #9

ps2 slim.
i am also going to try disconnecting the fan momentarily and find out of that is causing any noise there.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #10
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

I doubt it, if I get a chance today I will try to take a pick of where to ground it at, I have one myself, not in my car, but I could have sworn I saw a spot for a 3MM sized screw.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #11

I have some pretty bad electrical noise as well, but mine consists of alternator whine as well. Hopefully you get your problem fixed. I'll be watching this thread closely for hints/tips.
StreetRacer4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #12
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^ Run a hunk of 4 ga from the top alternator mounting bolt to the chassis....
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #13

Would 0 gauge work? I have some 0 gauge wire sitting around that i was gonna use to do the "big 3". Do you have a pic of exactly which bolt?
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #14
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

0 ga is overkill, but will work, there are only two bolts that mount the alternator, the one you want will be visible on top and bolts directly to the alternator.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #15

Sweet!! Paul saves the day once again!! Back on topic, Benyaki how do you like having the ps2 in the glove? I've thought about doing that for a while, do yo use it alot?
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #16

Ok, some new info. Hopefully someone can solve the problem for me.

I cleaned up a bit of my wiring, took out some cables etc. Noise was still there.
I left the 12V wired up behind the dash, but did not use it. I instead powered the ps2 from the wall charger. Noise went away.
So I figured it is either the way it is wired up, or the charger.
So I tested the 12V charger, but powered off a 120/12v converter (ie not from the car battery).
NOISE went away.

So I have concluded that it is the way that it is wired up that is causing the noise (taking power from a cig lighter behind the dash, grounded with everything.
Any other way that someone can suggest wiring this up so that the noise is removed?

As for the ps2 in the glovebox, works good for me. I just stick in my hard drive and leave it closed. The IR receiver is re-located to the cubby hole, and I just control everything by remote. (see my pics in the 7th gen forum).
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #17
j35 psi 6sp

sounds like the charger is having some issues..or your inverter
capnff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #18
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Add a click on ferrite bead to the 12v feed to the charger....
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #19

Just tried a clip on ferrite bead (stole it from a USB cable here).
It MAYBE decreased the noise a little bit when I had it on the power lead to the charger. (12V - not the ground - would not fit around both)
So basically that didnt do much.
Should I try wiring the 12V directly from the fuse panel by the drivers door (ACC)?
I also just noticed that this noise causes lines on the screen, and there may be some on the screen itself (without the ps2 plugged in - so they both might be causing some of the problem).
But I am sure it is the power the ps2 that is causing the whine (cause plugged into the wall, there is no problem)

capnff: it is running off a DC-DC (12-8.5V) converter. No inverter. As far as I can tell, the charger itself is fine (when plugged into another car, while the ps2 is hooked up to my car, everything is fine. The noise only happens when the charger is hooked up to my car.

Last edited by benyaki; June 11th, 2008 at 12:26 PM..
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #20

Ok. I spent a little more time today looking at this.
Took the screen and the ps2 (+12V) and powered them directly from the battery. There was still noise.
I am pretty sure it is just the ****ty converter.

I have been reading a bit today on this, and it sounds like some people just run 12V straight to the DC port on the ps2 (even though it is supposed to be 8.5V). Not the best.
I am also thinking of getting a DC noise filter. - dont know much about them, but i guess ill read up on them today/tomorrow
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #21
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^ The other problem with that is that the 12V is not really 12V when the engine is running, if you check with a meter it is much closer to 13.5-14.5V, although it may work, it is working the hell out of the internal regulators of the PS2 and will cause premature failure. It still sounds like a ground loop is being created somewhere in the system (possibly $hity converter). Another thing to try for $hits and giggles is another PS2 if a friend has one you can try with.

Also there are two screw holes on the back of the PS2, one right net to the power port and the other on the opasite side of the back, they look like M3 screws and will give a good chassis ground point for the PS2.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #22

Yea thats the other thing to worry about is that 12V isnt really 12V when the car is running.
I am almost sure the source of the problem is the converter. I am going to see if there is a DC noise filter that I can pick up locally.
I also tried a ground loop isolator (RCA cables) but that didnt help much - kinda dealing with the problem after the fact, where a DC noise filter would happen before the converter.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #23

Just and update, if anyone ever is searching through and is wondering how to fix this ...

Anyways. I took out the 12VDC-8.5VDC converter ($20 bestbuy piece). Then hit that with a hammer, and threw it in the garbage.
Took a small 75W AC/DC inverter and hooked that up to my 12V behind-the-dash source that I put in, plugged in the PS2's AC adapter.

ALL IS GOOD.
Got rid of the high pitch wine, the optical drive noise, and the usb hard drive noise.
I know it is not the most efficient (12V to 120V back down to 8.5V) but it works. I am getting a DC-line noise filter in sometime next week (everywhere in the city was out of stock, ordered a couple in) just to try out for fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in