what kind of switch to use for this.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
what kind of switch to use for this....

I soon plan on installing led stripes under the dash in the foot areas and probably a coupe leds in the cubby area under the radio. i already know that i can tap into the courtesy lights to get them to turn on when my doors are open but i also want the ability to turn them on myself whenever i want..

the best way to explain it is, i basically want a swithc exactly like the dome light switch where there are 3 settings... (ON manually)(ON via courtesy light)(OFF)

any suggestions on what switch to use, how to wire it up and where to get the power from? i plan in installing this switch in the blank spot next to my cruise control main button.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2

Wow talk about coincedence! I just tackled this project this past weekend, or should i say attempted to tackle this project. Well here it goes:

1.In order for the lights to come on when you open your doors, you are either:
A.Going to need to tap into your drivers side door light or
B.Going to need to tap into the map/dome lights.

The reason for this is because the doors are each run on different circuits, therefore if you tap the courtesy lights from the drivers side, the LEDS or Cold Cathodes (whatever you end up using) will only come on when you open your drivers door. Vice versa with the passenger door, if you tap into your passenger door they will only come on when you open your passenger door.

As for the switch, you will need a switch with 6 pins in order to get the effect that you want. Basically if you tap off the passenger door (just an example) you will want to extend the original power/negative for the light into the car as well as run wires from the actual vehicle harness (wires that lead into the socket/light) and connect these to a switch along with the power/negative from the LEDS or Cold Cathodes.

Switch will have 2 ins and 4 outs. The power/negative from the harness will go into the 2 in pins and the rest go to the out pins.

You can use this thread for some picture reference:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...t=diy+cathodes

So basically in the end, i ended up just running the lights off a switch with a remote wire going to fuse #32 so that when i put the key in the ignition i can turn on/off the lights as i please. I still have an extended wire coming into the car that i tapped in the passenger door (because its much easier than the drivers door) that i will probably use later on to just wire some 6" CC's so that when the g/f gets in the car they light up...lol..sorta like a red carpet..j/k.

Let me know if i can help with anything else.
StreetRacer4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
can u show me where to buy that switch, the pics of the switch in that thread a blurry so i cant really tell whats he's working with.

btw, why'd that guy put a switch for his trunk lights? i did the same thing with cathode lights and just spliced off the wire going to the stock light in the trunk and it works fine.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4

you could try a 3 position, 4 pole switch. (if you are just interrupting +12v).

ON-OFF-ON switch.

on the first two poles (position 1) you will have 12V acc in, and power out to the LEDs.
on the other two poles (position 3) you will have courtesy (switched 12V) and power out to the LEDs.
You will need to isolate them from each other with diodes so there is no crossover (on the output).
benyaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #5

Radioshack is where i bought my switches. You can try walmart also.
StreetRacer4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in