Auto Amp Question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jc07accord
Auto Amp Question

Hello All, I am not sure if I post it in the correct section. If not, can the mod's move it for me. (moved)

I have a a question about amps for cars. I currently upgraded all my speakers and want to have 1 strong subwoofer in the back. Would it be better for me to get a 5 channel amp to power the 4 speakers and the subwoofer?
Or can I get a 2 channel amp to do that? I really don't want to get 2 amp cause I don't have the room for it in the truck.

Thank you for any kind of feedback
jc07accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #2
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
For the subwoofer, you need to power it off a monoblock amp, for the speakers if you plan to amp all 4 speakers, run it off a 4 channel, for just the fronts to be amped, then run a 2 channel. You have room for the amps in your car. Don't worry
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #3

Actually, there are amps that do exactly what you're looking for. Memphis makes a nice 5 channel amp: The Memphis Bell, they are actually very versatile. Here is the summary from their website:

Quote:
The Memphis Belle

All-in one. Designed to power an entire system, the Belle literally combines the power of a Class D amplifier with the range of Class AB. The bass section of the MCH600 offers 400 Watts @ 1 ohm on channel 5, and 55 Watts x 4 of Class AB full range power. The MCH1300 offers a massive 1100 Watts @ 1 ohm on channel 5, and 75 Watts x 4 of Class AB full range power.
The MCH1300 provides even more power for an entire system:
Front Stage / Subwoofer
75 watts x4 / 300 watts x1 in 4 ohms
115 watts x4 / 600 watts x1 in 2 ohms
230 watts x2 / 1100 watts x1 in 4 ohms bridged

Memphis Audio: http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/

I personally would rather a separate Class-D Mono Block sub amp. This is because 1-If the amp goes, you can just replace the sub amp rather than have the whole system down; 2-if you want to upgrade the sub amp, you just need to upgrade the one amp, and not the entire system amp; 3-You won't find really high power integrated 5 channel amps where the dedicated sub section will put out 2000 watts or more, so if you're planning on having significant powered subs, you would have to go with a separate amp eventually.

The obvious advantage of having a single amp is: less wiring, and no need for a distribution block.

I own a Memphis 16-MCA5004 4 channel (4x250) for my front stage and it is an awesome amplifier. For my subs, I'm using a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D, another under-rated powerhouse which is super efficient (the heat sinks are great, it hardly ever gets hot). So if I planned on upgrading, I could easily just replace the SAZ-1500D with a SAZ-3000D and keep the front stage Memphis, rather than having to replace both the front stage and the sub amp.
Zermelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in