amp in protection - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 1bLwN_AcCoRd
amp in protection

so like the title says my amp is in protection mode, i looked over all the wiring and its all good, the fuses are all good, the 1 thing i didnt check yet is the wiring inside the box. The damn thing weighs like almost 100 pounds lols.
so what i wanna know is has anyone ever had their wiring inside their box come loose? when i wired the sub i karate chopped the fcukin wire to make sure it wouldnt come loose haha and it was tight as hell. but these things hit like a mofo, so yea i guess thats the next place i'll have to look. juss wanted to know if anyone has ever had that problem.
1bLwN_AcCoRd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
hey! its beer o'clock!

Send a message via MSN to ryan s
its possible...if the wires touch or grounds themselves somehow it can do it.

for example: if a speaker (full range) wire touches metal, there will be no sound...personal experience

on the other hand, it is fully possible something went wrong inside the amp. some amps will go into protection when they lose their power "area" on the inside. hopefully this isnt the case.
ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
could be you have it wired too low an impedance, or there is a ground or one of the subs blew up or something.

just another thing worth checking.
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #4

i just hope the amp didnt get fried, cause that thing is an expensive puppy, the sub i would like to save, but i rather pay 200 or so rather than 500 haha. thanks for the input, i think it may have come loose and short.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bLwN_AcCoRd
i just hope the amp didnt get fried, cause that thing is an expensive puppy, the sub i would like to save, but i rather pay 200 or so rather than 500 haha. thanks for the input, i think it may have come loose and short.
Sorry man... But even if the wires did come loose (never happend to me or anyone i know) inside the box, its highly unlikely that it would cause the amp to go into continous protection, beacouse if the - wire came loose, it wouldnt do crap, unless it touched the + wire, and the chances you have a exposed section on the + wire and it touches it is stupidly unlikely. It would have to be a + wire (allready 50% less likely) and it would have to touch and come into prety decent contact with some sort of grounded metal like the basket. And if a wire came loose and didnt touch anything at all, the impedence would increase if it is a dual voice coil woofer, like most of them, and if you say it was $200 it likely is... And even if its a single voice coil sub, and a wire came loose, it would again have to short somehow for the amp to go into protection, and from hitting bumps and such, id say it would go away at some point.

amps only go into protection for about 3 reasons,

Amp is smoked (most likely)
Short somewhere (not too likely)
Overheat (it would cool in 20 mins)

Id say, open your box, and see whats going on. If its all good... Better hope you can scam your way into a new amp...

E
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM   #6
what's cracking?

also as stated earlier, your subs might be too low of an impedance for the amp. it would help if you told us what amp it is and your voice coil configuration of your subs.
vietmandomy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #7

well as for the impedance, im pretty sure nothings wrong with that, i have a dvc 2 ohm soundstream sub, wired to a sound stream tarantula 1000 watt amp so the load is 4 ohms. and for some reason the amp for my mids is also not working. Its not in protection, and the fuses aren't blown. now i have heard that sometimes those AUG fuses don't look blown but are blown so maybe i need to put in a new one and see how that works. but anyone know why 1 amp would be in protection and 1 amp not work at all? cause when the music cut out i had the volume at 2 bars, making a right turn and all of a sudden it cut out.

ericspda about the wiring coming loose inside the box, if the wiring from the sub to the box comes loose the sub would not get power no? because if you think about it the dual voice coils are wired for 4 ohm load which means 1 + goes the other - the other - goes straight to the box and the other + goes to the box. the box is then wired to the amp. so if 1 of the wires came loose then the impedance wouldnt increase would it? wouldnt it just not work? and could that cause an overload to the amp?
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #8
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
if you were turning and it came off, then its probably your wiring - check that you dont have any stripped wiring too
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in