Remote start & Alarms : Need some inputs. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
XCLUSV

Send a message via Yahoo to R-w00dickz
Remote start & Alarms : Need some inputs.

Hey fellow V6P'ers, Im shopping for an alarm & remote start. I need your guys suggetions or any experience with the product would be nice (pros & cons). I have come down to these two; Viper 5900 and Compustar Pro P2W9000FMR. I read some threads about these two brands but I want to hear more about it especially from this site. Price w/ installations is around $500 more or less. TIA.

Viper 5900

Compustar Pro
R-w00dickz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
PSI Tuning /////

imo, i think both compustar and viper security performs the same. i got both of them system in my maxima and my civic hb. if you want longer range, then go for he viper 5900. i got both my compustar and viper at the same price including installation, which was $350.00 each.

Last edited by xxvietside; February 23rd, 2007 at 09:35 PM..
xxvietside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #3
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
I have a compustar and love it!
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4
^_________^

Send a message via AIM to stevent
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxvietside
imo, i think both compustar and viper security performs the same. i got both of them system in my maxima and my civic hb. if you want longer range, then go for he viper 5900. i got both my compustar and viper at the same price including installation, which was $350.00.
wait you got both for 350?
nvm, i read it wrong
stevent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM   #5
XCLUSV

is that $350 for the same model i was looking at? that's a very good deal.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #6
PSI Tuning /////

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-w00****z
is that $350 for the same model i was looking at? that's a very good deal.
yeah its the same model your looking at.
xxvietside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #7
XCLUSV

Quote:
yeah its the same model your looking at.
do you have a hook-up to get that price?
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Shes like the wind

Send a message via AIM to xi0utlawstarix
Quote:
imo, i think both compustar and viper security performs the same. i got both of them system in my maxima and my civic hb. if you want longer range, then go for he viper 5900. i got both my compustar and viper at the same price including installation, which was $350.00 each.
wheres the place that you got it installed?
xi0utlawstarix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM   #9

5900 since there is more support for DEI products in the US.
egprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Blends No. 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by egprelude
That is very true, since you have several options when it comes to warranty, adding accessories or replacing parts for DEI, which both big retail chain stores like BB and CC carries.

Have a malfunctioning Viper remote? No problem, you can replace it with a Python, Clifford, or Hornet remote.

Have a malfunctioning Compustar remote? Good luck.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #11
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
Circuit City doesn't carry Viper, they carry Python exclusively.... not sure why... only Best buy carries viper. Python=viper so yea.. lol

I tried swapping between python and viper remotes... it doesn't work...... so I ended up paying retail for a replacement python remote

and clifford is just an oddodity that's out there. I think it's considered the lowest line in DEI
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Blends No. 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
Circuit City doesn't carry Viper, they carry Python exclusively.... not sure why... only Best buy carries viper. Python=viper so yea.. lol

I tried swapping between python and viper remotes... it doesn't work...... so I ended up paying retail for a replacement python remote

and clifford is just an oddodity that's out there. I think it's considered the lowest line in DEI
It's only been 2 years since CC dropped Viper. They dropped it for a short bit because CC tried out a new contract with Audiovox/Code Alarm that failed miserably. DEI is the umbrella corp for Viper, Python, Hornet, Clifford, Avital, and a couple of others.

Depending on which model you tried swapping and if you knew what you were doing, you can swap the remotes on a Clifford RSX 2.5, RSX 3.5, Python 881xp, Viper 790xv, Viper 791xv, Hornet 564t. I'm currenty running a Viper 791xv brain with a Python 881xp remote.

Actually Clifford is DEI's highest line. Although most of the lines share the same parts, Clifford actually uses exclusive parts for their models. Their shock sensors and sirens can only be found in their line of products. Additionally, a few of their models features window mods, headlight automation, and proximity sensors as part of the alarm, like the IntelliGuard9000, which was only offerered exclusively to dealers. It's rare to find these in an alarm.

Last edited by Vestax; March 5th, 2007 at 06:49 PM..
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM   #13
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
I currently have the python 990, and i tried doing a remote swap and it doesn't seem to work even after programming.... so i'm kinda stumped...

yea, i retract the statement about clifford, I remember doing some reaseach on them a year ago when i was getting my alarm installed, and it seemed though they had the least options. But after checking their website just now, it seems they got some new stuff. More fancy stuff actually... lol

Which alarm remote will work with the Python 990? Is there some mods that I gotta do?
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #14
XCLUSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by egprelude
yea i'm goin for the 5900 next wk since it has more range and the SST feature than the compustar.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
I currently have the python 990, and i tried doing a remote swap and it doesn't seem to work even after programming.... so i'm kinda stumped...

yea, i retract the statement about clifford, I remember doing some reaseach on them a year ago when i was getting my alarm installed, and it seemed though they had the least options. But after checking their website just now, it seems they got some new stuff. More fancy stuff actually... lol

Which alarm remote will work with the Python 990? Is there some mods that I gotta do?

You have to use the 7701 Viper LCD remote. You can't use the old 791XV remotes with your new Python 990 because they use different frequencies.

Your model uses the newer 7701 remote and those have the 1 mile range. That is probably why it didn't work for you. Also, you probably couldn't pick up a cheap 7701 Viper remote anyway cause they are still very very new.

You probably got your hands on the older remote that can go as low as $20 now on ebay. I think one visual difference between the remotes is that the newer one has a slightly longer black antenna on the top of the remote. If you put them up against one another, you probably would notice it.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #16
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
im looking into the Clifford RSX3.5 and it looks pretty convincing and its only for $200+installation...

i cant vouch for it yet, but i wonder if anybody has that on their car?
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidaznmunkey
im looking into the Clifford RSX3.5 and it looks pretty convincing and its only for $200+installation...

i cant vouch for it yet, but i wonder if anybody has that on their car?

That is basically the exact same model as the Viper 791XV, Python 881xp.

It's really nice alarm. The only downside is the range on the unit. Rated at only a 1/4 mile, it usually doesn't get near that.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #18
Blends No. 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8

egprelude is right, sorry about the confusion. All the new SST remotes will not be compatible with the alarms that used the older remotes (479's). If you know somebody that works at CC or BB, they could get you the older pager remotes for around $60 to $70.
Old March 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #19
XCLUSV

where is the best place to put horn of the alarm?
Old March 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #20
original member!

i have mine in the engine bay, i would put it somewhere in the rear personally. It will be harder to find to cut if anyone tries to cut the wires to the siren.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #21
XCLUSV

is it close to the hood or in the lower level of the engine bay?
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #22
original member!

mine is right next to my battery, i asked them to put in in the rear of the car but they wanted to chage me more for that so i tolded them whatever....
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #23

i've had both the prestige platinum 996A pager alarm and the viper 791xv and they both perform about the same, prestige was cheaper (280 bucks installed) and it came with two remotes. Viper only came with one remote. I think the range on the viper seemed a little better, but it's battery in the remote drained like crazy, changing it every ~5-6 weeks. Where i can easily go three months on the remote my prestige has

either way, i liked both alarms, go for the viper if u got the money, prestige if you want all the same features at a lower cost
disgookonfiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #24
XCLUSV

Same thing where they put the horn on mine and im not happy as soon as i see it. i'm goin back to tell em to put it in the lower part of the engine bay like behind the engine so it will be harder to reach to cut the wires or liek you said in the back.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #25
...noob in need...

Send a message via AIM to xCrayZ_one2NVx
opinions on clifford 50.5x?
xCrayZ_one2NVx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #26
Blends No. 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrayZ_one2NVx View Post
opinions on clifford 50.5x?
Installed some a couple of months ago on a 350z and S2k. Same thing as a Clifford RSX or Viper, Python, just longer range.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to aceofspades626
I've had a 2.5x for about 4 years now, and it's been great. If the 50.5 has longer range or is more likely to work with various things between you and your car, I'd highly recommend it.

BTW, my remote is going out. Anyone know a good cheap place to get one, or should I just go with the $80 e-bay? Seems a little pricey for just the remote to a $200 system.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #28

I've got a Viper771 that I'm happy with. Unfortunatley since I move around every couple of years, I got it at BB (their prices let you know how proud they are of their work) so I could get a nationwide warranty on the labor incase anything craps out down the road.
JimiJam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #29
Official V6P Retro Whore

Quote:
Have a malfunctioning Compustar remote? Good luck.

Order one. Not hard.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #30
Official V6P Retro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8 View Post

Clifford isn't the lowest line on DEI. It's actually one of their premiere lines. However, finding a shop to install one is tough.

Last edited by dreamer; June 8th, 2008 at 01:49 AM..
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in