Sound completely cuts out at random - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24
Sound completely cuts out at random

I recently started experiencing a problem with my 2000 Honda Accord LX. The sound randomly cuts out (even though the head unit is on and still playing through the song) and then it will come back on later in time or sometimes cd or volume level is changed.

I have Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5's in the front and stock speakers in the rear. The CD Player is a Panasonic CQC7303 (i think...if not then it's one from that series). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this was happening.
Lemonade727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Blends No. 27
 
Vestax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade727
I recently started experiencing a problem with my 2000 Honda Accord LX. The sound randomly cuts out (even though the head unit is on and still playing through the song) and then it will come back on later in time or sometimes cd or volume level is changed.

I have Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5's in the front and stock speakers in the rear. The CD Player is a Panasonic CQC7303 (i think...if not then it's one from that series). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this was happening.

Either your speaker is grounding out or it's blown. Check your leads again or check the impedance on each speaker with a DMM.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestax
Either your speaker is grounding out or it's blown. Check your leads again or check the impedance on each speaker with a DMM.
I know the speaker's aren't blown because they all cut out at exactly the same time and there's absolutely NO response from them when it does this. I checked the all the wires from the head-unit and all the connections are solid. It's as if the internal amp on the head-unit craps out for a bit and then is back to normal at different times.

I never had a problem with these speakers for months and months so that's why I wasn't sure if that was the reason. Is the head-unit failing or is there another explanation?
Lemonade727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Blends No. 27
 
Vestax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade727
I know the speaker's aren't blown because they all cut out at exactly the same time and there's absolutely NO response from them when it does this. I checked the all the wires from the head-unit and all the connections are solid. It's as if the internal amp on the head-unit craps out for a bit and then is back to normal at different times.

I never had a problem with these speakers for months and months so that's why I wasn't sure if that was the reason. Is the head-unit failing or is there another explanation?
The only way to tell now is with a DMM, you can check the DC resistance on each speaker. If it falls below the nominal impedance, then the internal amp will shut down. If you have bad installation, a single strand of wire either touching the speaker basket or to the frame of a car is enough to shut down the internal amp. Again, check your connections.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Bobby Lane Racing
 
nighthawk04v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,679
does your headunit have a built in amp? if it does not, your amps might be shutting off due to heat... most amps now adays will shut off if it gets too hot. My system does the same thing when i bump loud for a long time. My deck has 8v output, no built in amp... my speakers get power from the amps only and not the deck.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestax
The only way to tell now is with a DMM, you can check the DC resistance on each speaker. If it falls below the nominal impedance, then the internal amp will shut down. If you have bad installation, a single strand of wire either touching the speaker basket or to the frame of a car is enough to shut down the internal amp. Again, check your connections.
Ok...I'll check the connections to the speakers when I have time to take the doors apart (storming outside right now). Thanks for the suggestions Vestax.

And nighthawk...I don't think it's shutting down because it's too hot because it happens sometimes after just 5-10 minutes of driving at a normal listening volume. And no I'm not running any amps, door speakers and rears are being powered by the head unit (which is why I was guessing it might be crapping out or something). But I'll check the connections from the speakers itself and see if it's a problem there like Vestax said.
Lemonade727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Blends No. 27
 
Vestax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade727
Ok...I'll check the connections to the speakers when I have time to take the doors apart (storming outside right now). Thanks for the suggestions Vestax.

And nighthawk...I don't think it's shutting down because it's too hot because it happens sometimes after just 5-10 minutes of driving at a normal listening volume. And no I'm not running any amps, door speakers and rears are being powered by the head unit (which is why I was guessing it might be crapping out or something). But I'll check the connections from the speakers itself and see if it's a problem there like Vestax said.
If you have an aftermarket deck, it's a lot easier to check that first. Sometimes soldered connections with bad electrical tape can cause issues as well.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On