noob questions about amp - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1

noob questions about amp

OK....everyone will now know my ignorance...So here's the question...
What's the big deal with having a amp on a radio ? Just loudness ? Arent 7th gen. radios loud enough allready ?

Rick
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Supernova m33

Send a message via AIM to ngc604
CLAIRITY. and external amp is quite big but the amp in the headunit is about the size of a pack of ciggs. that size allows for more power. if you get a good amp you will be more quality. your speakers will hit music notes you didn't know were in the music your listening to.
ngc604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc604
CLAIRITY. and external amp is quite big but the amp in the headunit is about the size of a pack of ciggs. that size allows for more power. if you get a good amp you will be more quality. your speakers will hit music notes you didn't know were in the music your listening to.

Thanks.....any suggestions on different amps ? I have upgraded to Pioneer extreme speakers. Should I stick to Pioneer brand ?

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to datboiroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by THERUIZFAMILY
Thanks.....any suggestions on different amps ? I have upgraded to Pioneer extreme speakers. Should I stick to Pioneer brand ?
depends on your budget and how much power you want.
datboiroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Bobby Lane Racing

once you get amps/speakers/subs you'll never go back. you hit every beat on every song, hear every instrument on every acoustic beat.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Alan N

Send a message via AIM to 02AEMAccord
this i have to agree with, i thought that the stock system was good enough, then i wanted more bass, then the bass was overpowering the internal speakers, so went out and got a four channel, it sounds great and the stock hu can handle it and soots my liking, 6cd in-dash,plus an oem look for those ****ing theives.
02AEMAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #7

For hooking up a mono amp and a 4 channel, what type of LOC do I need to use the factory HU?
1BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Alan N

i went to walmart beleive it or not and got scosche loc, it is a 4 channel loc and i then got a splitter that i would be able to have the 4 channel amp and the sub amp. if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AEMAccord
i went to walmart beleive it or not and got scosche loc, it is a 4 channel loc and i then got a splitter that i would be able to have the 4 channel amp and the sub amp. if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
So I just need a 4 channel loc and 1 Y RCA?

Is this a good one?

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...usereferrer=1&

Last edited by 1BADSS; April 6th, 2007 at 04:58 PM..
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Alan N

yes that looks like a good one just make sure that you tell them what year,model, make, that you need, also going with a loc set-up there is always the case of alternator whine, so just to put it out there, you might have to look for a noise filter.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #11

OK...I have a 7th gen...any suggestions on a good amp ? What should i be looking for ?
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Alan N

well if you want more bass, a sub and 2 channel amp are the way to go, infinity basslink i have heard work very well with a factory system and do not take up that much space and it is a sub and amp in a compact package. if you want a cleaner more pronounced sound then you should get all new internal speakers and a 4 channel amp, i recommend no less than 1000 watt x 4 but that is just me, i dont know your income. now if you want the whole package and money really is not the issue, then get a 1000 watt 4 channel amp, 6x9 4way rear speakers, 6.5 inch 3- way front speakers, a basslink or at least a 10inch sub in a sealed enclosure. this is kind of the system i have and it really pounds and the sound it so crisp and clear, and the bass is handled by the sub so the interior speakers wont start cracking. also i have the oem radio, and it still pounds.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
well if you want more bass, a sub and 2 channel amp are the way to go, infinity basslink i have heard work very well with a factory system and do not take up that much space and it is a sub and amp in a compact package. if you want a cleaner more pronounced sound then you should get all new internal speakers and a 4 channel amp, i recommend no less than 1000 watt x 4 but that is just me, i dont know your income. now if you want the whole package and money really is not the issue, then get a 1000 watt 4 channel amp, 6x9 4way rear speakers, 6.5 inch 3- way front speakers, a basslink or at least a 10inch sub in a sealed enclosure. this is kind of the system i have and it really pounds and the sound it so crisp and clear, and the bass is handled by the sub so the interior speakers wont start cracking. also i have the oem radio, and it still pounds.

OK....I want a cleaner crisp sound...So, a 4 way amp seems like the way to go...I all ready have new Pioneer 3 way speaker all around but why 1000 watt ?...Isnt that over kill ? ...Maybe a small sub to get good base...I dont know how much these cost. What can I get for 300 dollars or so?
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #14
Alan N

$300 should get you a decent amp, 1000 watts is not really overkill, you have to consider that you really wont be running the full 1000 watts, most likely 750 max, then you have to divide that by your 4 interior speakers, plus since you have better speakers they will require more wattage to perform to their proper specs, plus more watts will help get that crisper sound that you want for those better speakers. looking for an amp is like shopping for a new car, i myself really dont care about the name, if the amp performs then it will be just as good as a name brand, that is my opinion, i have a pyple 1000x4 amp and a pyle 800x2 amp for my sub(bridged of course). there are tons of websites that sell discount car stereo equipment you just have to search, and NEVER by anything off ebay or anything used, ALWAYS buy NEW.
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Champaned_out
Quote:
Originally Posted by THERUIZFAMILY
OK....I want a cleaner crisp sound...So, a 4 way amp seems like the way to go...I all ready have new Pioneer 3 way speaker all around but why 1000 watt ?...Isnt that over kill ? ...Maybe a small sub to get good base...I dont know how much these cost. What can I get for 300 dollars or so?
too lazy to read from the start, but could you give a summary of your audio setup?
if your looking for nice amps for around $300 look into
Elemental Designs
Diamond Audio
Rockforge Fosgate
Kicker

all those listed do more watts than their specs... there all really good/top quaility amps

hifonics is a cheap alternative however... build quality is very nice for their prices but they are slightly overrated on specs.. for example if they say 1200rms @ 1ohm its really more like 900-1000wrms
but other than that they really are the best bang for the buck
Champaned_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champaned_out
too lazy to read from the start, but could you give a summary of your audio setup?
if your looking for nice amps for around $300 look into
Elemental Designs
Diamond Audio
Rockforge Fosgate
Kicker

all those listed do more watts than their specs... there all really good/top quaility amps

hifonics is a cheap alternative however... build quality is very nice for their prices but they are slightly overrated on specs.. for example if they say 1200rms @ 1ohm its really more like 900-1000wrms
but other than that they really are the best bang for the buck

Currently have stock 7gen. Accord radio with oem mp3 play...3 way Pioneer extreme speakers all the way around except tweeters..
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
$300 should get you a decent amp, 1000 watts is not really overkill, you have to consider that you really wont be running the full 1000 watts, most likely 750 max, then you have to divide that by your 4 interior speakers, plus since you have better speakers they will require more wattage to perform to their proper specs, plus more watts will help get that crisper sound that you want for those better speakers. looking for an amp is like shopping for a new car, i myself really dont care about the name, if the amp performs then it will be just as good as a name brand, that is my opinion, i have a pyple 1000x4 amp and a pyle 800x2 amp for my sub(bridged of course). there are tons of websites that sell discount car stereo equipment you just have to search, and NEVER by anything off ebay or anything used, ALWAYS buy NEW.
You don't need a 1000 x4 for highs. If you think your Pyle is 1000x4 you're dreaming.

All you need is something 75-100 watts RMS X 4 for the interior and a mono sub amp around 500 watts RMS running 1 12" sub. Or something 600+watts RMS running 2 10's or 12's. Alpine, Rockford, MTX, JL Audio. You can't go wrong with any of those. Pyle, BOSS, Pyramid are junk and there price reflects it.
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADSS
You don't need a 1000 x4 for highs. If you think your Pyle is 1000x4 you're dreaming. All you need is something 75-100 watts RMS X
+1
i see that you arent running a sub so i dunno why people are suggesting 1000watts or even 500watts...
ive yet to see a 1000x4rms amp for under $300...

for your front stage (6.5) and your rear fill (6x9) they only need 50-125wrms
500watts on your front and rear fill will blow the cone right off the mounts

pyle is a pyle of shiet... stay away from those

i'd suggest a 4ch amp like this... ive heard and seen mulitple reviews on this amp and they were all positive feedback... and it pulls out more power than the specs say
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=46

Last edited by Champaned_out; April 7th, 2007 at 03:33 PM..
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Alan N

gentlemen like i stated above, it was my opinion, and i think that pyle is just fine, for what i want, so harping on the product really isn't very fair, plus i was just trying to help out with examples. good luck theruizfamily. i hope that you get all your questions answered, and don't diss it until you have heard and experienced the product
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #20

Quote:
gentlemen like i stated above, it was my opinion, and i think that pyle is just fine, for what i want, so harping on the product really isn't very fair, plus i was just trying to help out with examples. good luck theruizfamily. i hope that you get all your questions answered, and don't diss it until you have heard and experienced the product
i was just trying to come across a point... im just saying that pyle in my opinion after research, feedback, and other people's experience with that product isnt worth the money.. and that you should stay away from products like that and also from sony expliod products as well

its like recommending ebay springs or coilovers when you could get brand names like tein or apexi coilovers

pyle might be fine for you but im sure that if you tested a brand name amp like the ones listed above for one day with the same audio setup, you wouldnt want to go back to pyle
you'd notice the difference in clean undistorted power
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #21
7th Gen ACcord

just get a JL 300/4. i have seen them go for 200 used.
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #22
... Honda is bliss ...

Send a message via AIM to iLLmAT1k
Now your talking money over quality. You get what you paid for. Stay away from BXi line of Hifonics as it is overrated. If you are on a budget and want sufficient power get Performance Teknique. If you want quality amplifiers, look into Soundstream, Diamond Audio, Phoenix Gold (i have 4-channel and mono block from them), Eclipse, MB Quart. If you want something really good... get Memphis Audio. It pays itself off if you buy through a dealer because it has LIFETIME WARRANTY on it. You will know true power... multiply the fuse rating by voltage... usually with car on its 13.8 - 14.4 x (lets say it was my mono block, 40A).. which is 576 watts. That is your accurate total amplifier power. So look at all the power info and how much power it puts out at certain ohms. then check what your subs and speakers are rated for at RMS power. Its ok to be 10-30 watts overpowered on main speakers, and 100-200 watts overpowered to subs.

JL Audio btw, is not compared to many things anymore. Although they are really great, there's better, and sometimes they are cheaper. Amplifiers are something you dont want to buy used since its a high electrical component item. BEWARE.
iLLmAT1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #23
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
what speakers do u guys recommend for the 7gen?
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in