Best All in 1 Screen/navi/dvd ect. unit for near 1k - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1

Best All in 1 Screen/navi/dvd ect. unit for near 1k

Hey all I was thinking about getting a screen for my 98 Accord coupe. I am trying to spend as close to 1,000 or under for the setup. I basically want a reputable brand that has good audio componants. I am looking for something that will fit in the stock location and has DVD playback (external drive would be fine), navigation ect. I was looking at the pioneer D3 and it seemed to have all of that stuff. Does anyone here have one and what do you think about it? Also does anyone recommend any other units?

I will be replacing this with it:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159496,00.html

Which is a very good audio unit but im looking for the visual goodies too. (By the way does anyone want to take it off my hands? its used but in new condition.)
PWNDLOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legendaryyaj
I have the eclipse avn5435 unit and its pretty good. I paid $1199 from Crutchfield.
I had been shopping around but I finally decided onthe Eclipse unit for several reason.

One being that it has a theft warranty for one year. If someone steals it, all you you need to do is get a police report and send it in. Of course you must buy and install from a Eclipse dealer though. I had mine done at Circuit City for $200 and it took like 3 hours. You have to send in the warranty card as well.

Two is that it is easily hackable. I read that newer dvd/ navi units have a gyroscope in it so hacking it is virtually impossible.

Third of all, the unit is used in Toyota's and Lexus'. I went to my local Auto show and indeed it is just about the same. The Dealer units are just a tad bit fancier with 3d visuals. You can step up units on the Eclipse but they get pricey.

My complaints about the system is that the screen savers are limited unless you get the newer updated map disc which allows you to use your own but thats like $300 for the disc plus its hard to find. You can have someone burn you a copy but I have yet to find anyone with one.

Secondly the touchscreen seems to lag or doest sense your touch when on Navi. I can be using the touchscreen to pan and sometimes it wont pan. I dont know if its loading or its just ****ed.

All in all I think its an ok buy. I really dont think any unit out there is really worth it. If I had to do it again, i probably woulda stuck to Yahoo map or google earth with a wireless laptop.
Legendaryyaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM   #3
4.0L

I was looking into these before I decide on the D3. I was going to wait for the new Eclipse 6610 (I think that's the model number)...but the D3 is a great package...has everything you need for the price you can afford.

I ge my D3 on Wednesday...but for now I've been reading all sorts of reviews from different places. The only real "con" for this unit is the fact that it only has 1 optical drive. I'm sure in your research you've come across this. I don't mind playing all my songs off of a 40gb iPod...but for DVDs and DivX discs...I would prefer to be able to play the movie and change/recalculate routes at the same time. I figure anywhere I go where I'll be popping in a movie or divx disc is gonna be a long stretch of "keep straight on...." so it won't be too much of a problem.

My vote is for the D3! It's still hackable too!
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #4
St. Louis!

D3 ftw. Hackable was the winning factor for me. CC has a great deal right now, $899.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to datboiroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
I was looking into these before I decide on the D3. I was going to wait for the new Eclipse 6610 (I think that's the model number)...but the D3 is a great package...has everything you need for the price you can afford.

I ge my D3 on Wednesday...but for now I've been reading all sorts of reviews from different places. The only real "con" for this unit is the fact that it only has 1 optical drive. I'm sure in your research you've come across this. I don't mind playing all my songs off of a 40gb iPod...but for DVDs and DivX discs...I would prefer to be able to play the movie and change/recalculate routes at the same time. I figure anywhere I go where I'll be popping in a movie or divx disc is gonna be a long stretch of "keep straight on...." so it won't be too much of a problem.

My vote is for the D3! It's still hackable too!
on the avics, dont they have like memory? so like you pop in the navi disc, put ur destination in, take the disc out and pop in ur movie, then u can go back n forth. thats wut my friend did on his N1, iono if the D3's have that.
datboiroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #6
St. Louis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboiroy
on the avics, dont they have like memory? so like you pop in the navi disc, put ur destination in, take the disc out and pop in ur movie, then u can go back n forth. thats wut my friend did on his N1, iono if the D3's have that.
Correct. The one big downside for alot of people is the lack of a dual optical drive. For me, I could care less, I'm not watchin movies while I drive, and all my tunes are on my ipod, or Sirius. No need for the disc drive other than navi.
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #7

What exactly do you mean by hackable? And do they have more than 1 input for video for maybe a back up camera and a external dvd drive for movies?
PWNDLOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #8
St. Louis!

Hackable as in it has an easy bypass. There are seperate inputs, yes, both video in, and camera input.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #9
k24/k20 Turbo coming soon

Send a message via AIM to telele
D3 for sure the eclipse units are just as good but I've always liked the AVIC line up really I've used the N1 and did the ebrake bypass but over all I like it better then any other units out there for around 1k.
telele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #10
4.0L

Check out the pics in the Avic D3 Installed thread...Friends via DivX FTW! haha
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #11

i've been researching on the Eclipse avn5500, give it a look, it has dual optical drive and seems to have everything that the D3 has plus a few more luxury... anyone recommend this?
UnIQuEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM   #12

get a video ipod and play your movies through your ipod. that's one of the reasons i got the d3. plus the ipod interface is much better on the d3 than the 5435. the eclipse uses the ipod as a cd changer which kind of blows. I've had the 5435, z1 and now the d3 in my car, and i'm pretty happy with the d3.
vicn77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Touch of CLaS

Send a message via AIM to importtigger
Hey bro I install at a circuit city and the d3 is a bad ass screen, with the best ipod controls I've seen! And on the bypass, I'm sure you can do it so don't let that discourage you
importtigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in