Sub + Amp combo - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1
- Leo

Sub + Amp combo

Yo, i just got a 12" MTX thunder 8000 4 ohm dual coil sub and need an amp to power it. The thing im confused about is which one i need, in terms of power. The sub is 400 rms and 800 peak. So what i wanna know is what amp i can get. I was told i need to get XXX rms @ 4 ohms bridged. Is that correct? I was looking into buying a Hifonics zxi6006. Would that be the correct amp for this setup?
03_AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Champaned_out
you only need a amp to power one sub correct? then stick to a D-Class mono amp

what your looking for is a amp that puts out anywhere from 400+rms @ 2ohms
since your sub is dual 4 you two options in terms of wiring... you can wire it to either 8 or 2ohms... and since most amps wont give out much power at 8ohms your gonna wanna go Parallel down to 2ohms

remember most manufactor's specs are overrated unless you stick with a true namebrand amp... so if your sub's rms is 400 look for a amp with slightly higher specs
Champaned_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3
hey! its beer o'clock!

Send a message via MSN to ryan s
actually, if you wire it at 8 ohms both the amp and sub are more efficient. i wired up my dual 4 to series last week and wheeew...it sounds so much better. if all you want is "bump" and dont care how it sounds, then go for parallel.

if you decide to go for parallel, make sure the amp is stable to 2 ohms.

the best name brand amps are actually underrated. depending on what you get, there are some which make more power than advertised.

the zxi6006 is rated at 300x2rms @ 2 but only 600x1rms @ 4 which leads me to believe its only stable to 2 ohms in 2 channel mode. maybe email them and ask if its stable to 2 ohms bridged...
ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4

wiring a sub at 8ohms will mean you wont be seeing much power at all... its true it wont be as efficient... but 400wrms isnt anything siginificant and shouldnt be a problem to power as long as he uses all the right wirings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan s
the zxi6006 is rated at 300x2rms @ 2 but only 600x1rms @ 4 which leads me to believe its only stable to 2 ohms in 2 channel mode. maybe email them and ask if its stable to 2 ohms bridged...
thats why i would recommend a D-Class mono amp instead of a 2ch amp... you get more bang for your buck out of a mono amp and so far 99% of the mono amps are all 2ohm stable so he shouldnt have a problem with that
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #5
- Leo

Thanks for the help. I emailed 3 sellers of that amp and all three responses were different. I got "yes, it will run fine", "[email protected]" and " im not sure". So now i dont know whether its safe or not. As far as getting a mono instead of 2 channel, i dont think its cheaper. Hifonics for example has cheaper 2 channel amps with more wattage than a mono. So i think i will go with that zxi6006 if i can confirm it will work fine. Also, i wanna make sure, i cant do a 4 ohm setup because its a dual coil? So i would run 2 ohms to each coil to make the 4 ohms necessary?
03_AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #6

i guess you can say it depends on your setup... for example i have a Hifonics TXi7506 mono amp and the specs are
# RMS @ 4-Ohms: 1 x 325-Watts
# RMS @ 2-Ohms: 1 x 500-Watts
# RMS @ 1-Ohms: 1 x 750-Watts
costs $154shipped on ebay

and heres the specs of a 2ch amp within its price range
HIFONICS ZXi600
2 x 150-WattsRMS @ 4-Ohms
2 x 300-WattsRMS @ 2-Ohms
1 x 600-WattsRMS @ 4-Ohms
costs $155shipped

you could run either 500wrms @ 2ohms (and keep the gains down) on the mono amp or you could run one channel at 300wrms @ 2ohms on the HIFONICS ZXi600... the obvious choice here would be the mono amp.. it gives you more options for the future as well... for example if you were to buy another sub and run 2 subs, you could wire them Parallel @ 1ohm and feed your subs 750wrms which the subs will split the power equally at 325wrms

you could do the same with the ch2 amp and wire them indivually to 2ohms into each channel but they'll only be seeing 300wrms each

and yea you cant run 4ohms... you only have 2options... 2 or 8ohms
if you had 2 subs and both were dual 4s, they can be only wired to either 1ohm or 4ohms.... unless your running one sub to one amp

this picture should help you

1 DVC driver with Voice Coils in Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of the driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

Last edited by Champaned_out; June 5th, 2007 at 01:14 AM..
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #7
hey! its beer o'clock!

Send a message via MSN to ryan s
i dont mean to argue with you eugene (and thats not where im going with this by any means), but 8 ohms does have its advantages. for example, s/n ratios are normally given at 1v @ 1ft or at 2.83v @ 1ft. since an 8 ohm configuration is more efficient (read: run "less hard") they can and do achieve either the same s/n or better than measured at 2 ohms. lets also not forget that an amp run "less hard" will last longer.

its like a turbo: you can run it at its max efficiency if you please. but if you have one with more headroom (run "less hard") it will act just the same and have the same power.

theres no way id run subs at 1 ohm for music...if you just want to be loud, ok. but if you want a musical sub consider an 8 ohm configuration. i challenge anyone to hear the difference of 25rms per sub. remember the addage: a doubling of power will gain 3dBs.

also gains are meant to match what your headunit is putting out. my eclipse amp for my speakers goes from .2v to 8v and they should be set according to how many volts the preamps provide.
ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champaned_out
i guess you can say it depends on your setup... for example i have a Hifonics TXi7506 mono amp and the specs are
# RMS @ 4-Ohms: 1 x 325-Watts
# RMS @ 2-Ohms: 1 x 500-Watts
# RMS @ 1-Ohms: 1 x 750-Watts
costs $154shipped on ebay

and heres the specs of a 2ch amp within its price range
HIFONICS ZXi600
2 x 150-WattsRMS @ 4-Ohms
2 x 300-WattsRMS @ 2-Ohms
1 x 600-WattsRMS @ 4-Ohms
costs $155shipped

you could run either 500wrms @ 2ohms (and keep the gains down) on the mono amp or you could run one channel at 300wrms @ 2ohms on the HIFONICS ZXi600... the obvious choice here would be the mono amp.. it gives you more options for the future as well... for example if you were to buy another sub and run 2 subs, you could wire them Parallel @ 1ohm and feed your subs 750wrms which the subs will split the power equally at 325wrms

you could do the same with the ch2 amp and wire them indivually to 2ohms into each channel but they'll only be seeing 300wrms each

and yea you cant run 4ohms... you only have 2options... 2 or 8ohms
if you had 2 subs and both were dual 4s, they can be only wired to either 1ohm or 4ohms.... unless your running one sub to one amp

this picture should help you

1 DVC driver with Voice Coils in Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of the driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!! THATS WHAT I DID. WITH THE 1606D.
rekedevoate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in