Alarm!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BleakSpeaks69
Alarm!!

Ok here's the deal:

With my sister home from college, I need to park my car in a lot 3 blocks away because we can't fit my car in the driveway. I am always going to be parking out in the lot during the summer because my parents fear for the safety of my sister who comes home late at night (but not me who comes later and is younger, wtf??). I don't think that the stock alarm system on my 02 av6 is adequate enough to deal with threats in my neighborhood. Although I live in a relatively safe suburb, I am surrounded by worse towns and teenage vandals.

I fear that some crook will see my car parked in the lot (which happens to be the corner space right in plain view on a light-medium traveled street) and undermine all the money and effort I have/will put into it. Essentially, $3000 worth of time and money could go down the drain. I would like a system that cannot be easily disarmed (ie speaker in engine bay) but is still affordable (200-300?). It would need to be pretty loud and unique so that I can hear it (wake me and everybody else up). Because of this, it should also have a very low false alarm rate so that when it does go off and make a lot of noise it's serious. I have absolutely no idea what is a good alarm system for any car, specifically an accord. Does anybody have any ideas what might be good for me based on my situation+price?

thanks

Last edited by BleakSpeaks69; June 21st, 2007 at 11:04 PM..
BleakSpeaks69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #2
4.0L

Are you looking for $200-$300 installed?? That might be harder to pull off. I currently have an Omega Crime Guard 450ie -- 2-way pager, interior/exterior motion sensors, dual-stage shock sensors, proximity sensor, glass shatter sensor, cabin air pressure sensor and what they call their "psycho siren". It works great...sometimes I get no false alarms...sometimes I get a bunch. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

3 blocks is pretty far. I would suggest getting a 2-way system...but you will still probably be out of range for the remote to go off. If you were in range...this would save you from having to fight to hear the siren itself...I'm assumine you're not going to be on constant lookout for the sound while you're doing other things.

If you want maximum security with the alarm...you should have a second battery in a remote location in the car (usually in the trunk) that is designated for the alarm. That way if someone tries to disconnect your battery to shut it up...it won't work. Then you can lock the back seat, the trunk and the trunk lever and it'll be a lot harder for them to get to it if they bust into your car. That would probably freak them out because they wouldn't know where the alarm battery was.

I'm sure your parents fear for your sister more because she's a girl...yea yea...that's not right...but in the mind of a criminal females are easier victims. My parents do it all the time...I used to stay out all night and my dad wouldn't care...but my older sister had a curfew.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3

That alarm sounds great (but expensive). I tried a google search for it but nothing came up. I put out 200-300 as a ballpark figure, I'm not really sure how much money it takes to install/buy a sophisticated alarm system. 1000's maybe?

Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
4.0L

sorry...i got the model number wrong...it's the Omega CrimeGuard 850i4e

mine was $500 installed by a shop who was an authorized dealer and who kind of hooked it up...lik $50 off. mine was more expensive because it's 2-way and remote start.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #5

just get some hela horns and replace the factory ownes with them so when the alarm goes off, you got 118 db of honk, honk, honk, honk, and sooo on.
rekedevoate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #6
Blends No. 27

You're better off getting this: http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_....jsp?cid=40721

Then go to your local CC or BB, find a reputable installer, and have them do it for $100 an alarm + keyless.

You'll find more support for DEI products than any other brand.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #7
4.0L

DEI is a safe choice...it's well known...accessories will be easy to find (as well as support...like it was mentioned above). I personally wanted something a little higher on the food chain. I'm switching to a Compustar next year.

I would find a local (reputable) audio/alarm shop that can order you the alarm. Show them the website and see if they'll price match...usually authorized dealers can work with you on pricing. I would never have Bestbuy or Circuit City do any install work on my car. I've seen their work in my friends' cars...it's about the quality of work that could be done by anyone with a simple wiring diagram. As far as an alarm...make sure whoever does the install SOLDERS...BB uses connectors and I'm not sure about CC...but I would assume it's the same.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #8

After reading reviews, dei seems like a safe choice. Thanks for replying
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #9
4.0L

yea it's very mainstream, easy to find accessories and support for it. gl with the addition! are you getting remote start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in