Need some help making a decision on amp install - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1

Need some help making a decision on amp install

The run down is a 04 6-speed with the stock hu, upgraded front and rear speakers in door and rear deck. They are sony's. Bought a pioneer 4-Channel Amplifier (GM6300F) cause I got a good deal on it. It has speaker level inputs built onto the amp. However I keep hearing about using an loc and running rca's to the amp. I am not sure which one I should do. I am not going to get it pro installed. I would rather do the work myself and know that I am doing it correctly. No matter how long it takes me. The amp will be powering the Sony's. I don't want a sub or any big bass. I have a 10 month old little girl that rides with me and a little boy that will be here in a few months. The reason for me doing the amp is because I want more sound out of the speakers. When I am driving on the interstate with the windows down I cant hear it as well as I want to. Back to the matter, I can easily tap into the rear speaker wires from the 6x9's. I then want to run new 16 guage wire to the speakers in the front and the rear. I also want to take and get some new dome tweeters(not decided on brand yet. Your opinions would help) and mount them on the door pointing my direction and disconnect the POS factory tweeters that barely make any sound. The new dome tweeters would be hooked to the stock hu. What would you do with the install? Getting a new hu is out of the question and budget. Kids taking all my damn money already.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Blends No. 27

In order to get signal out to the amps using a stock deck, you have to convert high level outputs (speaker output leads) from your stock deck using a LOC, which then converts to low level RCA which goes to your amps inputs. From the amps, you want to connect your new speakers to it. The alternative to the LOC is utilizing the high level input plug on your aftermarket amp, if it has one (you'll need to check for this).

There are several ways you can go about doing this, including a couple of short cuts (assuming you're installing the amp in trunk).

Conventional way: At the head unit location, you'll sever the connections for all 4 speakers. The ones coming out of the deck will be connected to a 4channel LOC. The other side (that you severed) will be connected to the amp's speaker outputs. You'll need to run 2 pairs of RCAs, a remote turn on lead, and 4 pairs of speaker wire from front to back.

Short Cut without running speaker wires: Connect LOC/RCA as usual, but instead of running speaker wires, you can loop the front speakers with the rear speakers so that when you reach to the back, your rear speaker leads are now your front speakers. All you have to do is run a short run from the amps to the rear speakers.

If you don't care about fading: You can connect the LOC from the back using rear speaker leads. You'll still need to run the RTOL and front speakers from the deck.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The amp does have the high level speaker inputs. I was planning on using those but I am constantly hearing about how you should use a loc. I have not decided if I am going to be lazy and just tap into the back speakers or if I am going to actually run wire to the amps high level inputs for the front and rear so I can control the fading from the hu.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in