Looking for new 6X9's...Recommendations? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Looking for new 6X9's...Recommendations?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace all four of my factory 6X9's (yes, four of them)

My AVIC-D3 pumps out 50w Peak, 22W RMS per channel, and I'm NOT looking to amp the new speakers.

I already have 2 12" subs in my trunk so I'm not too concerned about bass response as I have a high pass filter at 80Hz on the 6x9's front/rear anyway. What I'm looking for is mid and high range clarity. I have a decent set of JBL tweeters in the dash that fill the high end well already, so I have no need for separated component speakers.

Also, my front door speakers are 6x9's as well but I'm open to the idea of replacing them with 6.5's as well, so any recommendations are welcome.

Anybody have any good recommendations?
Gone but not forgotten:
  • 2013 Honda Accord 4dr EX-L
  • 2002 Honda Accord 4dr EX-V6
  • 1999 Honda Accord 4dr LX
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Blends No. 27

You'll be pressed to find 6x9's with clarity, especially when you have a surface area equivalent to almost an 8" and a tweeter that'll probably be filtered from 3,000hz and upwards. There will be very little midrange. Why dont' you go with a set of 6.5" components up front, then a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck for low end midbass. You can easily make 6x9 plate cutout for a 6.5" driver. You'll be better going this route especially when you're confined to a low mounting depth.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I'm fine with 6.5's up front, I can do that...but in the back, the Solara has a weird basket mount that even normal 6X9's won't bolt into. So some custom work would be required anyway.

As far as doing components up front, I already have a decent set of JBL tweeters in the dash for the high range, so 2-ways or 3-ways up front are more what I'm looking for, not components. So any recommendations on 6.5's are fine too

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #4

The only car audio speakers ive heard that auctually sounded nice, and werent built like crap would be the JM Labs focal's..

No, theyre not cheap, but theyre freeking awesome... Im looking for 4 6 1/2's for my car now... They wont handle tons of power, so you shouldnt be able to trash them with the little power your head unit puts out, but a good seperate amp would help out a bit...

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/stor...61d56c208c32fa
Thats basically what your looking for...

Last edited by ericspda; August 5th, 2007 at 11:55 PM..
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
Elemental Designs eu-650 if you dont want the tweeter. 6000s if you want the component set. you can mount them coaxially if you want it all in one package, or just make a trim ring and put the mid and the tweeter all in one panel.

www.edesignaudio.com

they also will make you the baffles you need to mount some quality 6.5s in the back instead of 6x9s.

or since you're in a coupe you could spend the money on better speakers up front and just leave out the rear all together like a lot of audio people will tell you to do (myself not included, i like my rear fill but a lot of people are convinced its bad for you)

OT, what do you have against getting an amp? you've got 2 12s in the trunk, so its obviously not about space?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hammer03; August 6th, 2007 at 12:13 AM..
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #6

^ the elemental designs are good speakers also from what i hear, but i never actually listened to them before...
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Formerly VTEC-v6!

^That's what I hear too
Gone but not forgotten:
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #8
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer03 View Post
or since you're in a coupe you could spend the money on better speakers up front and just leave out the rear all together like a lot of audio people will tell you to do (myself not included, i like my rear fill but a lot of people are convinced its bad for you)

OT, what do you have against getting an amp? you've got 2 12s in the trunk, so its obviously not about space?
I tend to have some passengers from time to time, so rear speakers are gonna have to stay

And I'd prefer not to have to amp all four of the other speakers cause it's a PAIN
Gone but not forgotten:
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #9
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
hahaha. ok. fair enough. i think its probably worth it.

but i've heard a couple sets of eD speakers, and they're a lot better than the alpines i've got in my car... and they're not very expensive.

hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in