*Help Plz* Amp has Power, but still no Sound. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
same avatar since 03'

Send a message via AIM to kEyChAiN
*Help Plz* Amp has Power, but still no Sound.

Hello, I just finished wiring up my system today. The amp turns on, but the sub doesn't do anything. So i'm guessing it has to either be the settings on the amp are wrong or my Line Out Convertor is wired wrong or something else is wired wrong. I have no idea what to do with the settings on the amp. I've taken pictures of what the settings are and how I've hooked up my Line Out Converter.

System Specs:

Stock 6 disc HU

Stock Speakers

10" Infinity Reference
_dual 4-ohm voice coils
_sensitivity: 91db
_frequency response:25Hz-400Hz
_power handling, RMS: 250 watts
_power handing , Peak: 1,000 watts

BOSS GT1000 850 WATT MONO CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER
_850 watt mono high powered amplifier
_Signal-to-noise-ratio >105 dB
_THD 0.01%
_25 AMP Fuse rating
_Built in Low Pass Crossover Settings
_Soft Turn On Circuitry
_RCA / Speaker Level Inputs

The Settings:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Line Out Converter:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Line Out Converter Connected to the rear speakers:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Connections to Amp:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Power Wire:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Remote Wire Connected:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Thank you in advanced for your help.
kEyChAiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2

I dunno about that line converter... but I noticed the gain on the amp might be turned all the way down.

On the amp, it says INPUT LEVEL, turn that clockwise, see if that helps. Also, try changing the cross-over mode to FULL RANGE, just to see if that does anything, although it should be in LOW PASS.

If that doesn't help, I'm guessing it's the wiring on the line converter. Double check everything, did it come with instructions?

Also I would suggest you get a new headunit, as they have subwoofer output, so you don't have to monkey around with that line converter deal.

Last edited by Motley; July 27th, 2007 at 05:17 PM..
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3

Well, i would assume the 'Input Level' is turned all the way down. Your going to need to turn that up to where you want it to be, and the only control over the volume of the sub inside the car your going to have is adjusting the bass on the stock head unit.

Id say, set the stock HU to 0 on bass, then turn the input level on the amp to where you want it to be, and you can add or take some volume from inside the car by easily changing the bass.

Now, im not in the car, but i would assume the bass boost should be off, as there is no real need for it ever. Just change the input level to where you want it, and if you need more volume, turn the volumes on the line converter up, and if you still need more, then use the bass boost.

And the low pass frequency should probably be a bit higher on a single 10. You can adjust that to your liking, id say midway would be about right for most people, but where it is now, will work...

Eric
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #4
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
you shud turn the low pass up some to a desirable range, and your input up too

gluck keith
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to atanarus
Make sure the polarities on the inputs are correct. I have the exact same setup as you and when I initially installed mine, I reversed the polarity on the right speaker and basically the two speaker signals canceled each other out.
atanarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #6
same avatar since 03'

Thanks for all your help so far guys. The sub still hasn't responded yet. Did i hook up the Line out Converter wrong? (I took pictures of where i wired them to the back speakers.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #7
MASTER OF MAYHEM

Send a message via AIM to Joepro
1. def check polarity. I dont remember what stock colored wires are.......just make sure the correct polarity is going to the correct wire on the line converter. so if factory blue is right + make sure it goes to the right + on the line converser and so on...
2. make sure you that you have the line converter pluged into the input rca jacks if that amp has any outs. You dont have a pic of this....
3. Is the sub brand new? I have had friends try to wire up subs and dont work, so I throw them on my amp and it turns out they were junk. Same for the amp, it might power up, but does not mean the the outputs work...
4. Make sure those clips actually cut the wire casing, I have had them not before....best to spliced and solder.
5. Turn the gain the whole way up for testing and the crossover to about 63 hz and turn that dreaded bass boost off...
6. Are those those U shaped terminals you have the power and ground hooked up with, I cant tell...If so, make sure you amp is bolted down, I have had those suckers wiggle out when my amp was not mounted(in my young foolish days) With those terminals on the amp, Just part the bare wire around the screw, twist it and tighten the screw.

6. Get an after market deck, problem solved, I have tried wiring 2 cars like that and got nothing out of the subs.....I have been doing stereos for years and its just easier and better quality to go with an after market deck.

all I can think of for now...

Last edited by Joepro; July 27th, 2007 at 08:22 PM..
Joepro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #8
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
check to see if those tap are properly tapped to the wires. no connection, no sound.
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #9
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
Quote:
Originally Posted by kEyChAiN
BOSS GT1000 850 WATT MONO CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER
_850 watt mono high powered amplifier

_25 AMP Fuse rating

way OT, but am i the only one who finds these ratings funny?

i dont really have any new advice other than actually soldering that splice for the remote, or running a real remote from the fuse box instead of just tapping that other wire. maybe even just hooking up the remote to a constant source, turning the amp on for testing purposes to see if thats the issue...

and like the other guys said, adjust your gains. but im pretty sure you'd try that before posting... just put them all in the middle to see if you get ANY sound.

something else worth trying might be to grab and ipod or cd player or whatever you have with a headphone jack, get one of the mini to RCA adaptors from ratshack and plug that straight into the amp to see if its a signal issue or if its an amp issue.

the whole idea behind troubleshooting is isolating the problem and then diagnosing from there. so replace what you can, one at a time, and when you find out what was wrong you can fix that
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #10
... Honda is bliss ...

Send a message via AIM to iLLmAT1k
Make your life easier...

www.realmofexcursion.com
iLLmAT1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #11
MASTER OF MAYHEM

Send a message via AIM to Joepro
probably doesnt push more that 200 rms, mine pushes 600 and has 2 30 watt fuses, but its also a jbl.
Joepro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #12
KT!

Send a message via AIM to icantsleeps
try and get a 40 watt fuse maybe it'll work :]
icantsleeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #13
constantly in pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantsleeps
or maybe it will just fry the inside of the amp
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to atanarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantsleeps
You mean 40 amp?
atanarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #15
KT!

Send a message via AIM to icantsleeps
hahah iono but i run a 30 watt fuse hahaha
icantsleeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #16
... Honda is bliss ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepro
probably doesnt push more that 200 rms, mine pushes 600 and has 2 30 watt fuses, but its also a jbl.

thats 864 watts at 14.4v. ur pushin maybe ...... 450-500... depends on the amp tho and what load ur running.
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #17
... Honda is bliss ...

and do not insert a fuse that isnt made for the amp. if u put a bigger fuse in, good luck. lol. ur jus goin to let more power thru and fry ur circuits.

FUSES REGULATE POWER!!!
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #18

Are you sure the amp has power and is on? The +12 and Ground are well connected, and there is +12v on the rem? Any lights on the amp?

If the amp has power, and is powered on, do you have a ipod or external audio source to hook up to it? If not, borrow one. Hook that up to the inputs. Turn the volume on full, and use the following settings on the amp...

Bass boost - +18
Low pass - Full right (clockwise)
Crossover mode - Full range
Input level - Max (clockwise)
Input sensitivity - 2-8v

You should get audio if you have power, its on, and getting a signal from a ipod or whatnot...
If you dont, get a 9v battery, and connect it to the + and - wires coming off the sub, it should pop. If it does, the sub is wired up and working. If not, check the wireing.

if the sub works, and there is power going into the amp, its on, and you have a signal going into it, its a bad amp. Get a new one, and this time make it a real one

It looks like you have a really cheap amp.. Your '850W' amp Cannot draw more than 300w physically due to the 25A fuse, and assuming average inefficiencies, you have around 250 RMS watts left to push the sub... Thats great if all you want is a little bump, to add on to your stock system. Dont expect much at all...

Tell me how it goes...
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Champaned_out
Quote:
Thanks for all your help so far guys. The sub still hasn't responded yet. Did i hook up the Line out Converter wrong? (I took pictures of where i wired them to the back speakers.
have you checked your sub connections? whats your voice coil configuration and how did you wire it? series or parallel

let me know if you still need help, i can take pictures of my LOC connects... i have a aftermarket HU now but my LOC is still connected to my 6x9s from when i was running it off my stock deck so if you need pics give me a pm and ill try to get em to you

edit:
forgot to mention, check your dials on your LOC as well.. make sure you set them correctly
you should check all those and recheck all your connections

Quote:
Power Wire:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
how much rms watts are you running? your power wire from your amp and your power wire from your batt to your ANL fuse look like there different guages

Last edited by Champaned_out; July 28th, 2007 at 05:52 PM..
Champaned_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #20
... Honda is bliss ...

OMG...

WWW.REALMOFEXCURSION.COM. ..!!!!!!!!!!! the best place on the net for car audio. and its a forum!!!
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #21

I would try putting your input gain sensitivity switch on the amp to 100mv-2v. I doubt that line output converter is putting out more than 2volts, thereby your amp cannot get enough signal to amplify as it is currently set-up.

Also, make sure the loc output level is turned up. Spin the output levels to see if it helps.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaPod
I would try putting your input gain sensitivity switch on the amp to 100mv-2v. I doubt that line output converter is putting out more than 2volts, thereby your amp cannot get enough signal to amplify as it is currently set-up.

Also, make sure the loc output level is turned up. Spin the output levels to see if it helps.
I Know mine will put out well into 4-6v...

Just get a external audio source and test to see if the amp is at fault, or the LOC... It should be real simple...
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to 1bLwN_AcCoRd
first off i think its your amp, no offense but thats a flea market brand amp there. no way that thing has 850 watts.

second what OHM is your sub wired in 2 or 8?, and whats the minimum ohm rating that the amp can accept?

three, check your ground, make sure you scrape off any paint from the surface and make sure its bare metal.

also, i'd say forget the tuning right now, just get it to work and tune later.

check the wiring, for correct polarities, check the wiring of the sub (what ohm), the minimum ohm rating of the amp and check the ground.

Last edited by 1bLwN_AcCoRd; July 30th, 2007 at 11:45 PM..
1bLwN_AcCoRd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #24
constantly in pursuit

i bet he already fixed it and thats why he hasnt checked the thread....
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:37 AM   #25
same avatar since 03'

Just fixed it. Sub was wired wrong.... Thanks for all the replies and for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in