Optima Red Top Battery reviews? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1

Optima Red Top Battery reviews?

Just wondering who has the red tops, and what kind of noticable positive/negative things did it contribute to the car? Googled and search forum, not too many people posting positive/negative reviews so I figure i try here before I buy it.

My current car battery is dying, so deciding whether or not to spend the bucks on this battery or just get something similar to stock.

No sound system in car yet, but eventually will drop in a 12 inch once I figure out how to save trunk space.

My car has a semi-rough start, sort of hoping this battery might solve that issue. A dealer here says the yellow's are no good, they are more for 2nd batteries that sit in the trunk for stereo applications (and has had many problems with them draining within a year or two if used in a car as primary)
$ilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2

i bought one, i have a 400 rms sub and even though my lights dim a little when it hits hard the voltage doesn't drop that much. i recommend it
rokov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #3

Its not like its going to really help out if your having dimming problems, but its a very solid battery. I know people who had them for over 10 years, and even in a harsh climate like buffalo, they still start the car when its below freezing outside...

I have one, and it saved me a few times... When i dont start my car for a few days, my carputer really drains it, and the car still starts... They will put out enough power to start the car even when the voltage is low, and its a much more rugged internal design compared to your average battery anyways...

Go get one
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #4

Bought mine at Costco for $99 ...I like it...It starts the car up right away..For our cars red top for the cold crank amps....For cars with voltage draining problems, ie.. Mazda Miata, then yellow top...

Rick
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #5
now drives a 7thgen V6

ive had mine for about 7 months now, didnt really notice any difference, i live in florida so i really dont have to worry about starting my car in freezing weather, but like people have said it will prolly help with that, i basically bought it for its long life, and tough design
6thgenaccord00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6
its my Religion

i bought the red to when my battery was giving hard starting and right off the bat it made a huge difference in how the car starts. kicks right over i highly reconmend
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #7

i noticed a difference in starting up the car. usually it would crank like 2 or 3 times with the battery just once and the engine fired up

the only thing is that i havent found a good thing to hold the battery higher, they gave me this plastic battery height thing but it slides around
madaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Dngrwillrobinson
Optima battery owners only respond to these questions pls.

Have you noticed any REAL difference in the red/yellow tops compared to other brands?
I know there are certian models, which one is best for AV6?
Is it worth the 120 something it costs?

Thanks people
Dngrwillrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #9
its my Religion

it is worth the cost you dont have to worry about a battery for 7+ years I've owned two red tops so far in two different cars one went bad on me in 2 years took it back and got a new one. the warrenty is great also
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #10
CG5

Send a message via AIM to ccordex00
wow...good thread I was wondering the same thing, so if i'm running with stock audio I should only go with the red top
ccordex00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #11
now drives a 7thgen V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccordex00 View Post
wow...good thread I was wondering the same thing, so if i'm running with stock audio I should only go with the red top
yeah stick with the red top, the yellow is more for cars with high powered systems,and is very expensive, **** the red top is also lol
6thgenaccord00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #12

Yes its worth it, no there isnt going to be a big difference between it and a average brand new battery, but the optima will hold its power for many years, where a average battery starts to get rougher after a few... Get a red top and call it a day..
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #13
CG5

Send a message via AIM to ccordex00
Really helpfull...i'll prob go with red top then
ccordex00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #14

cool red top it is, i heard they're weight savers.....its that true?
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrwillrobinson View Post
cool red top it is, i heard they're weight savers.....its that true?
I doubt it.. Theyre heavy as ****.... Maybie a few pounds lighter, but i dont think theyre heaver...
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilverbullet View Post
Just wondering who has the red tops, and what kind of noticable positive/negative things did it contribute to the car? Googled and search forum, not too many people posting positive/negative reviews so I figure i try here before I buy it.

My current car battery is dying, so deciding whether or not to spend the bucks on this battery or just get something similar to stock.

No sound system in car yet, but eventually will drop in a 12 inch once I figure out how to save trunk space.

My car has a semi-rough start, sort of hoping this battery might solve that issue. A dealer here says the yellow's are no good, they are more for 2nd batteries that sit in the trunk for stereo applications (and has had many problems with them draining within a year or two if used in a car as primary)
If you are planning on a system than go yellowtop or bluetop the difference is big plus they charge easier when run down. Sometimes if you run it down let it sit without load and it will build up enough to start the car on its own.
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #17

The Kinetik HC batteries are really good too. I just ordered a KHC800 off of ebay for $108.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #18
Derek

Go with the red top, if you aren't doing any audio upgrades, then the red top is more than enough.

You can still get a decent price for it if you decide to sell it down the road and upgrade/change to a different battery.
damage2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM   #19

Got the red top, you can really hear the difference when you start up, lots of power, 800-1000 amps of crank'n power.

$199 tho, locally, ouch!

Weight: same as stock roughly, heavy , your not going to be saving weight, but it's not as bulky as stock, cleared out a little engine room left of the battery. I had to put the extra extension high adapter (red cover) since it's not as high as a stock battery.

It also has a side adapter for a 2nd Positive/Negative outlet, going to re-do my groudn wire kit and put it onto this extension, with my soon to be power wire for my sub. (I didn't get yellow, cause I don't plan to pound my system for hours end with the car off, maybe 15-30 minutes at most, but the red supposily can handle that no problem). Yellow = trunk battery from what i researched and talked to other audio reps.

Note: stock battery specs was only 400 amps , this battery is twice of that. 800 ams cold start i think, or something along the lines of that.

Last edited by $ilverbullet; August 22nd, 2007 at 12:45 PM..
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
The Kinetik HC batteries are really good too. I just ordered a KHC800 off of ebay for $108.
That was a really good deal.
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Got the red top, you can really hear the difference when you start up, lots of power, 800-1000 amps of crank'n power.

$199 tho, locally, ouch!

Weight: same as stock roughly, heavy , your not going to be saving weight, but it's not as bulky as stock, cleared out a little engine room left of the battery. I had to put the extra extension high adapter (red cover) since it's not as high as a stock battery.

It also has a side adapter for a 2nd Positive/Negative outlet, going to re-do my groudn wire kit and put it onto this extension, with my soon to be power wire for my sub. (I didn't get yellow, cause I don't plan to pound my system for hours end with the car off, maybe 15-30 minutes at most, but the red supposily can handle that no problem). Yellow = trunk battery from what i researched and talked to other audio reps.

Note: stock battery specs was only 400 amps , this battery is twice of that. 800 ams cold start i think, or something along the lines of that.

Yea, i put in a red top and ran 1/0 to my starter and put in a ground wire kit and DAM the thing sounds like it has some serious power behind its starts. It dosent really start any quicker, maybie slightly, but im sure it would be the same with any new battery. But it sounds like it means it when it cranks over.

And yea, the unused side terminals are awesome compared to cramming a ring terminal on the oem + side bolt or something.. lol
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspda View Post
Yea, i put in a red top and ran 1/0 to my starter and put in a ground wire kit and DAM the thing sounds like it has some serious power behind its starts. It dosent really start any quicker, maybie slightly, but im sure it would be the same with any new battery. But it sounds like it means it when it cranks over.

And yea, the unused side terminals are awesome compared to cramming a ring terminal on the oem + side bolt or something.. lol
Yah, it's so much cleaner and easier to work with, with the extra negative/positive outlets on the side.

You made a good point, you dont' see really any significant gains in starting the car, maybe 1/2 a second if anything and that's being optimistic. I atleast feel confident in my battery during starts, the power running through the starter is a significantly higher pitch tonite when starting indicating sufficient power.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #23

nice, thnx for the input
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #24

side note: I drove a Grand Am as a rental car today v6, that sucker starts INSTANTLY when you turn on the key! Maybe our starters are weak...cause mine takes atleast 1-2 seconds to start.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
side note: I drove a Grand Am as a rental car today v6, that sucker starts INSTANTLY when you turn on the key! Maybe our starters are weak...cause mine takes atleast 1-2 seconds to start.
Some cars just start fast, but the grand am's sure do sound like crap when they start and they sometimes take FOREVER to start.. But yea, they usually start real quick...
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #26

I ran an optima red top in my f150 for 3 years.. could handle the 1000 watt sub for a couple hours on accessory easy. I pulled it out after it got totaled.. haven't checked to see if it will fit my '02 yet.....

Mike
headinahole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in