USA spec vs blitzsafe vs other honda ipod connections - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > AUDIO - VIDEO - ELECTRONICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #1
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
USA spec vs blitzsafe vs other honda ipod connections

sorry to start another thread but all that i searched for didnt give enough info. i have 04 accord ex coupe and i dont care about XM but since all unit still let you keep that function and my fm transmiter craping out so i dont know what to get

I found that

USA spec
charges while pluged in
volume control from stearing wheel
back and forward control from stearing wheel
expencive(more then $90)

blitzsafe
charges while pluged in
volume control from stearing wheel
is a lot cheaper (under $50 on ebay new)
NO back and forward control from stearing wheel?

icelink is kinda old

HONDA music link?

any advise will be appreciated
if you selling one let me know too
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2
EliteCM.net

who has those things. what you recomend? i dont wana create separate play lists for usaspec. if i just navigate to artist or play list on ipod and then play it. can i control it with stearing wheel controls as forward or backward?
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #3
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i have icelink and it charges as well as lets me forwards songs thru the headunit.. yes it takes few secs but.. it works for me
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #4
EliteCM.net

can you use your stearing wheel contols to forward or go back?
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #5
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i dont have the controls on mine as i have a 4cyl lx but i think u would be able to
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #6
EliteCM.net

i found this on ebay. looks like it does what i need. i dont like how usa spec works.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008
i seen buslink for ipod but not sure, kinda looks like usa spec
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...MEWA:IT&ih=012

i might buy first one couse it looks like does it all and better then usa spec . not sure about buslink, dont look like it works with 03+, any thoughts?

Last edited by sy272004; September 30th, 2007 at 10:21 PM..
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7
EliteCM.net

i ordered grom ipod interface. sounds pretty good to me. lets see how it will work
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #8

I have a usa-spec one that has the ipod input, works with sterring wheel controls etc, and has an aux input for my laptop/computer for another input for those long road-trips.
if you want txt display and have an xm dash, you can get the dice unit which will display text, but costs a lot more.
benyaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #9

i've had a soundgate, usa spec and now a dice. they are doing a group buy for the dice for the 7gen owners. i would have to say that dice is the way to go since you even get text capability for the newer models of cars. usa-spec does everything that a dice does but no text display. the capability is out there so why not have it? it charges the ipod, you can forward and backward on the steering wheel control and also has an 3.5mm aux input as well. and did i mention you can have xm with dice unlike usa spec? can't say much about the blitzsafe...
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
i've had a soundgate, usa spec and now a dice. they are doing a group buy for the dice for the 7gen owners. i would have to say that dice is the way to go since you even get text capability for the newer models of cars. usa-spec does everything that a dice does but no text display. the capability is out there so why not have it? it charges the ipod, you can forward and backward on the steering wheel control and also has an 3.5mm aux input as well. and did i mention you can have xm with dice unlike usa spec? can't say much about the blitzsafe...
i decided against the dice becuase 1) i dont have xm and never plan on having it, 2) dont have txt display, so wont need it
other wise, they are just about the same. steering wheel controls, aux input (for my laptop for long road trips etc). never had a problem with it. just leave my ipod in the car hooked it, it charges, shuts down automatically, etc.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #11
Banned

Osam post
actoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM   #12
bex

sy272004: any info on the GROM iPod interface? I decided to order one based on the cost and my current needs. If it doesnt work how I want, i'll probably sell it and upgrade to another device. Just looking for feedback on the GROM.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #13
EliteCM.net

seen this by a chace. yeah i got it and installed it. works fine. i can use my stearing wheel controls and stuff and it charges as well. only problem is when you turn off the car it doesnt turn ipod off(i dont know if usaspec or others do that or not) and when you disconect ipod it doesnt puses the songs playing so if you forget to turn it off you ipod will keep playing. if you got questions then IM me
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #14

my usa-spec one, as far as i know, turns off the ipod after less than an hour of the car being off. not a big deal, since it also pauses the ipod once you turn the car off, so it just sits there really.
auto-resumes when you turn the car on again. the aux input is also great (plugging in laptop, etc for long trips).
all in all, great. only thing it doesnt have is txt display (which the dice does), but it doesnt matter to me, i just have a whole bunch of playlists and let it go. works good with steering wheel controls. can only fast-forward and rewind on HU though (not on steering wheel controls).
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #15
EliteCM.net

only function i wanted is charge and user back and forware from stearing wheel.
and you can controll ipod from ipod itself which i think usaspec doesnt let you do
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #16
bex

I have ordered the GROM iPod digital adapter for use with my iPhone actually. Have read in the iLounge forums that the iPhone doesnt have the issues the new ipod Touch has with the GROM and older adapters.

I appreciate your quick responses and am looking forward to the installation in my Accord.

Curious as to what mounting solution did you guys go with? I have ordered a TuneDok from belkin to drop into one of my drink holders since this would allow me to also use the phone feature as well as the ipod (didnt want it locked away in the armrest bin). Wondering if there was a way to route the cable from the GROM into the TuneDok from underneath without drilling too many holes or damaging stuff irreparably.

Dont know if the GROM will allow for handsfree phone use with the iPhone, curious whether this works or not. Will advise when I finish up my install.

Last edited by bex; December 2nd, 2007 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typos
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I have ordered the GROM iPod digital adapter for use with my iPhone actually. Read in the iLounge forums that the iPhone doesnt have the issues the new ipod Touch has with the GROM and older adapters.

I appreciate your response and am looking forward to the installation.

What mounting solution did you guys go with? I have ordered a TuneDok from belkin to drop into one of my drink holders since this would allow me to also use the phone feature as well as the ipod (didnt want it locked away in the armrest bin). Wondering if there was a way to route the cable from the GROM into the TuneDok from underneath without drilling and holes or damaging stuff irreparably.

i just have mine in the armrest (ipod that is). wont be using my iphone like that. however, what you can probably do is when you have the cup holders out, take out of the of the spring loaded holders. then you can route the wire through that, then up to the iphone (not sure how the adapter you are using is, but you can just dirll a hole in the bottom of that if needed.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM   #18
bex

Here is the mount that I bought, said it should also fit the iPhone...we shall see!

http://images.belkin.com/F8E467/FUL1_F8E467.jpg

looking to route the cable thru the little hole in the middle, but I dont have my sedan with me yet to fully see how its gonna be done. Dont want a cable mess, or a sloppy looking install.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM   #19

yea so just take out your cup holder piece, then remove one on the tabs (on springs). route the cable through that, and then up through the bottom of that belkin thing. (if there is a hole, great, if not, just drill one in that thing instead of one if your cup holders.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM   #20
EliteCM.net

i have it in leather case and it hooks in nicely in air went
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #21
bex

Great idea, the TuneDok should have a hole, but if not the Dremel will take care of it. Thanks for keeping the thread alive guys...appreciate it!

Will post a full set of pics of my install in about 10 days so you guys can see how it works on the iphone and how the mount looks in the cup holders! Stay tuned!
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #22
bex

Looking for ideas on routing cable to iPhone from factory HU...

Here are pictures of the iPhone in the Belkin TuneDok car mount. Looking to install the GROM iPod Digital Adapter over the weekend was looking for some ideas to route the dock connector cable to ensure a clean look. Dont want any hanging or dangling wires.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Trying to minimize drilling holes but wont rule it out if I can fill the hole with a rubber grommet or something else for a crisp look!

Thanks in advance!
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #23
bex

Cable routing from HU to iPhone

Had a post restriction, here are the images:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/...bc070d.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2113/...f81be0.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/...35d359.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/...6939dd.jpg?v=0
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #24

your best bet is probably what i said before.
take out one of the spring loaded holders on the side of the cup holder.
route the wire up through that, and then through a hole in the side of the GROM adapter. zip tip the nicely to the post that holds the whole thing, and then into the bottom of the iphone.
the only little bit of wire that you are going to see then is going from the post to the side of the cup holder, through a hole (put a grommet there) to underneath the cup holder.
Aside from that, your choices are basically to buy the ends that are the ipod adapter (male and female), make and mount your own port onto somewhere near there, and just have a little 6" cable form the iphone to your custom port. the only problem is then that you need ot find out what wire on the clip that you are going to need to use (there are something like 20 wires, and you dont want a cable that big).

[these are the connectors I am talking about]
http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm

and personally, i think that is ugly.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #25

I have a question about text display for those who have the GROM unit:
The ebay description reads "The following information is displayed: Disk #, Track #, time etc"

So basically the info it displays on the radio is useless ... When you play a song it just says something like: "Disk 1, Track 5, 1:26" right?

Is there an ipod unit that displays artist and title information?
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #26
EliteCM.net

it doesnt display artist or song info. i dont even look at it. my ipod is right there near radio anyway so i see whats playing. ill take pic tonight
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #27

I was thinking of keeping it in the center console b/c I want to avoid the temptation to play with it while driving. In the install on the GROM, you just plug in the radio connector to the center part in the back of the radio right?
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #28
EliteCM.net

yeah its plug and play but your XM will be disabled
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #29
bex

Finished the GROM install. I think its pretty tite, will post some pics later on to show how the final finished product looks. I contemplated other mounts but stuck with the TuneDok and to be honest, it serves its purpose since I use the steering wheel controls to skip thru tracks anyway, and I get a clean, no wires OEM look that I wanted!

The GROM is cool, like someone said it is a cheaper knockoff of a peripheral product, its a bit funky on startup, I have to skip discs a few times to get to the playlists that I have in my iPhone, but once I get started, I can recognize my playlists and enjoy my music and as a bonus it does charge the iPhone, so you can scrap the need for an extra car charger.

Bad part is though, it doesnt stop playing if you turn the car off, it will just keep on playing silently. Phonecalls auto lower the in car volume, but its NOT handsfree fone operation and you have to either select speaker or pickup the handset to use it. Dont know how it would work if you have a bluetooth headset on in car, could be a possibility, I am still looking for a handsfree option for the iPhone.

I do not have the XM option on my HU so I didnt go for the DICE or other more expensive options. Install is a breeze, and would rate it a 3/5 in terms of a DIY rating of difficulty.

Thanks for the input from everyone, and I am pleased with my iPhone integration with the stock HU using the GROM!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM   #30
fit freak

Send a message via AIM to HondaMatic
okay ive been searching and id want to hear from anyone that has the same combo as me..
i live in hawaii, so sat radio doesnt matter,
our accord is an 07 LX V6 4door with the 6disc but no XM button, but there is an AUX one
what ipod or USB audio adapter would work best, and is it possible to have text as well? if not ill install musiclink (employee price)
thanks in advance
HondaMatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in