Help me make sense of this dyno - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > RACING and TUNING > DYNO
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #1

Help me make sense of this dyno

I got my car dyno'd today. I may not have the right chart to show you, but this is what I grabbed (Ill try to get another copy tommorrow). I was primarily there to dyno tune my VAFC so that is why the chart shows in A/F Ratio and not torque. It shows 191.8whp after tuning, but 189.3 before the tuning. I did however gain about 10hp in the mid and high end range but didnt increase my Max Power very much. What can you tell me about this dyno? The dyno guys said that the Max power doesnt really mean squat anyway, but isnt that what everyone else uses to determine the hp? After searching for A/F ratio posts, it seems that a lot of you are sayin stay in the 14ish range. How come mine is 17.5? Of course as the graph goes, it does drop to the 13-mid 11 range.

This is a DynoJet and the numbers are SAE corrected. Both the tuner and the dyno man seemed pretty happy with the numbers it was doing. The dyno guy mande me feel pretty good when he said that I was putting down the same numbers as stock V8 auto Mustangs were, so that was cool. Of course Im sure torque has the final say, and thats why I need to get a different graph.
Sorry for the ramble, but it was my first dyno time. Can you help me figure this action out?
Thanks.

http://www.v6performance.net/gallery...sort=1&cat=500
r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
AV6 OG

Send a message via AIM to HIREN
were you spraying on this run?
looks like bottle pressure got to ya!
my nitrous dyno had a bunch of spikes as well

that a/f ratio is dangerously lean! how big a shot did you spray?

2004 STi
[email protected]
2010 335d
[email protected]
HIREN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #3

no nitrous, couldnt get the bottle filled on time

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
It's really hard to determine what your actual hp is since the graph was done at speed (MPH) instead of RPM. A lot of time we spikes that fool the computer into thinking you dynoed higher than what it says. Sometimes the spike is at 6500rpm but our car shifts at 6250 so that might not count.

You gotta remember that when you floor your car it's not at "peak" horsepower at that instant. Say you floor the car and it downshifts to 2nd and it's at 4000 RPM, your power is 10hp higher than before at that rpm. That means at that particular point your car will have more horsepower. Will it be faster? Probably but that also depends on your torque which wasn't given. So don't always go by peak hp. You might need the lower rpm speed in a race or in everyday driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:21 AM   #5

Your max HP on the first run looks to be 162 HP. The 2nd run looks to be 173HP.

But as Doom said this isn't a very good dyno. A good dyno should show HP/Torque vs RPM. The scales for HP and Torque should be the same. As for the A/F ratio I think it is better to have a smaller graph at the bottom.
99%StockAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:56 PM   #6

Like this one? EDIT*(NOt quite like this one, this is a graph for torque)

Ok, so after talking to the dyno again, he said that the real hp is 175, not 191. Torque at 158. He said the same thing about the spike...that it doesnt count. Compared to some of the dyno's in the Top Dyno thread, I am kinda where everyone else is, but (not to single anyone out) isnt SoCalV6s dyno a measure of the peak hp? I mean, how in the heck can someone break 200? (I know you arent the only one, it was just that yours is the first one I came to!) The dyno said that 200 shouldnt be happening unless you are counting the shouldnt-count-anyways peak hp. I have just about all the bolt-ons short of cams and ignition so how can both of those get 25 more hp than what I have now?

My mods:
AEM SR w/ AEM filter
OBX headers
UR SS pullies
Thermal R/D axleback exhaust
Zex plugs
TUNED VAFC

Last edited by r.j-lo; January 21st, 2004 at 05:38 PM..
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:59 PM   #7

uh, a CAI will get you a little better #'s, along w/ a test pipe instead of a cat, and get some bigger piping for your exhaust and some more tuning w/ the VAFC...

also did you reset the ECU? j/w
AF_BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by AF_BRYAN
uh, a CAI will get you a little better #'s, along w/ a test pipe instead of a cat, and get some bigger piping for your exhaust and some more tuning w/ the VAFC...

also did you reset the ECU? j/w
There hasnt been any proof that a CAI actually has more Hp than a SR does. Not sure about the test pipe. Bigger exhaust piping? Wasnt there a huge deal on how that would LOSE power on a NA car? More tuning with the AFC? Damn, I got 10hp out of it!
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:31 PM   #9

That dyno looks better. There are two things I don't like about it. One thing is the HP and Torque scales are not the same. The line for 170 HP is the same line for 160 Torque. The other is the dyno starts at 4200 RPM. Even with 3rd gear the dyno should start lower than that.

For that dyno the max HP is 163 and the max Torque is 158.

As for SoCalV6's dynos they are very weird. Some of that is caused by his CL-S intake manifold.
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:34 PM   #10

It is a little funny to read.

Would an intake manifold get 25hp? There are others though that are in this infamous 200hp NA club that dont have that manifold. Isnt his dyno showing the peak output though anyhow?

Last edited by r.j-lo; January 21st, 2004 at 06:38 PM..
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM   #11

No, but a CL-S intake manifold, CL-S throttlebody, and CL-S cams might.
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM   #12

Oh, I didnt know he had all that.
I dont know why the graph starts at 4200. Ill have to go again armed with all my questions.

I kinda feel that my run wasnt really that good though.....
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM   #13

It can be done lower.

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM   #14

your graph is off just like mine was (hp and tq lines)
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:14 PM   #15

Yeah, I didn't say it was a good dyno
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:31 PM   #16

What are the setting on your V-AFC? (I will not use them, just curious how they set it up.)

Mostly curious about the narrow throttle settings, and the throttle points.
Entcee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:21 PM   #17

Entcee:
Ill have to check tommorrow. Im not too sure. The narrow throttle really cant be 'tuned' per say since the ratio fluctuates (?sp?) so much. I think he set it at -5% across the board for the NT. I will post all the settings tommorrow
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by 99%StockAV6 on January 21st, 2004 at 08:31 PM

That dyno looks better. There are two things I don't like about it. One thing is the HP and Torque scales are not the same. The line for 170 HP is the same line for 160 Torque. The other is the dyno starts at 4200 RPM. Even with 3rd gear the dyno should start lower than that.
Why is that weird? As long as the hp line matches up with the hp figure and the torque does the same then it shouldn't matter if the hp and tq scale are in the same line.

Yeah I think the dyno shops are using the higher rpm since Hondas are known for 5xxx VTEC and 7000+ redlines.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:52 AM   #19

When the scales are not the same it can make it harder to compare dynos. I entered the info from my dyno into Excel and made this graph.

I think it is easier to read and understand.

Edit: Also HP should be equal to Torque at 5252 RPM. The easiest way to check that is if the scales are the same.

Last edited by 99%StockAV6; January 22nd, 2004 at 09:03 AM..
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:40 PM   #20

man 175 whp for those mods? i would've sworn that would get you to at least 185whp, if my memory of other people's car's with similar mods is right
lengjai223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:31 PM   #21

ECU sux it up.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:04 PM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to BNut
I got 5 bucks that says you had some 17" or larger rims on your car when you did this dyno. Put on the stock 15's or 16's and I betcha you pick up b/w 5 to 10 more HP and TQ.

When I put on my 17" CP-035's it killed my torque all the way across which of course hurts the HP.

When I put back the stock 15's the TQ and HP came back!
- 14.6 @ 95 mph (Track bone stock)
2006 STI (SOLD)

- Cobb Access Port v2 Stage 1 w/ custom tune
2003 530i A/T
- Kid Hauler
BNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #23

5 bucks says you are right!

I had my 18" Tantrums on when we did this. There seems to be some talk of the rims size making a lot of difference, but I still dont see how. I compared overall size and they are the same as stock.....I dont dont know the weight however. The purpose of the dyno was really for me to get the AFC tuned, and not really max power, that was just going to be a bonus. Next time I will try swapping the rims out to see the difference.

Honestly I thought 175 was kinda low too, but after going through some old posts that is pretty much the same numbers that people with similar mods are running also. Honestly, I was expecting the 200 mark from what I read before I did it.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:42 PM   #24

I've seen in magazines where people have gained ~2-3 hp more w/ a CAI instead of a SR....with the test pipe it will let more air flow through creating more hp, trust me it made a BIG dif. w/ my car!.......bigger piping you will loose some on the low end, but will gain more on the top end and since dyno's are top end, it will help you out more.........then w/ those mod's you will need to tune again and might get 2-3 more hp from the VAFC......and after all that RESET THE ECU!!
AF_BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM   #25
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by r.j-lo on January 22nd, 2004 at 06:23 PM

5 bucks says you are right!

I had my 18" Tantrums on when we did this. There seems to be some talk of the rims size making a lot of difference, but I still dont see how. I compared overall size and they are the same as stock.....I dont dont know the weight however.
The 18s can weigh the same as the stock rims and still create more rolling resistance. Larger rims have more of their weight towards the outside edges of the wheel/tire combo than smaller rims. This means that the engine has to turn the wheel+tire weight a greater distance per wheel revolution, increasing the rolling resistance.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:55 PM   #26

Well said
Entcee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in