Gen 7 AV6 Dyno Numbers - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > RACING and TUNING > DYNO
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Doc

Gen 7 AV6 Dyno Numbers

Quick thumbnail: I did an OEM rebuild of the top end with thermoblock spacers.

Couple months ago the heads had to come off due to low compression in several cylinders. I've learned running my fans using only the VAFC II to supplement the fuel fuel supply can burn up your exhaust valves.

The plan was to go through the entire engine with more durable forged/ hardened/ lightened pieces. The aftermarket would happily provide a Darton sleeved short block, filled with jewel-like, custom CNC machined moving parts, spin balanced and ready to be shipped for a full-pop price of $7800. If I don't get fresh sleeves, it'd be only $5000 (plus shipping) Oh yeah, lead time varied, typically in the 60 to 90 day range and I'd have to provide the spec protoype parts. This idea was was put on hiatus.

Top end(s) rebuild parts were ordered from Honda. The parts manager at that dealer is a great guy - he's been on my bottle-of-Chivas Christmas list for 4-5 yrs now. Unfortunately it was just last week when I learned of our CL/TL Brothers and Sisters using OEM, forged Odyssey lower end parts becuse the duplicate MDX bits cost tto much. I also found a shop online that may have had applicable trick valvetrain bits. I had to make a call and based on the info I had before learning this info, I committed myself to an OEM top end(s) rebuild. Parts arrived and the heads went to the machine shop.

Shifting my thinking, I wondered about porting on the heads. I reasoned that the machine shop would do the work and Honda service dept would slap them on. I rescued the car from the dealer with a tow truck and plastic sheeting covering the open cylinders. The car went to a respected tuner around the corner from my office with 8 second-twin turbo V8 mustang and 10 second Lightning builds under his belt. He does excellent work but charges big bucks. As it turned out I was advised against modifying the heads. What really happened, I think is \ it was beyond the machine shop's capabilities. I'm sure if it was an LT1 head...Keep in mind one of my clients was cool enough to let me take a Toyota Sienna off his lot to drive in the meantime and the meter was running. Plus, that van got postively spooky above 115MPH!

I had plans for the triple fan-cold air duct and ZEX wet, FI kit I had been waiting for the right time to install. I picked up the finished heads and dropped them to the shop that was doing the reassembly. I got a call informing me that while prepping for reassembly, indentations from valves were found on several piston-tops which could cause hot spots in the cumbustion chamber and detonation. Again, I listened to this tuner's advice and skipped the NO2 install. He also mentioned he would not tune it if I went that route.

I got it back last weekend and took it back for some loose ends and folowup work. Replaced was the passenger side engine mount that I've been driving with for a long time. This might be where that elusive tenth or two I had been trying to shave was. Engine oil changed to Roya Purple, new filter, four wheel alignment and dyno tuning. Current power mods, E-Shift Pro Cats, UR pully, Comptech cat-back, race pipe, Hyper ground kit, short ram intake, VAFC II, Thermoblock spacers.

We made five pulls with cool down time between each. VAFC II tuning result was negligable. Ambient air temps were high. It was friggin hot, but numbers are corrected. I'll see about getting a chart with an RPM scale this week.

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #2

Hey man, you need a tune, you're hittin an a/f of 15.5 at the vtec changover. That's bad news.
luckywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #3

What did your stock numbers look like?? Are you happy with the VAFCII?? Was it difficult making the custom harness for your car or not?
JHAWK13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #4
no, i dont drift..

Send a message via AIM to mondojackal
wow. is it just me, or is your write-up part of your post just completely erratic and all over the place?? i can't even understand or follow what you're trying to say. you mentioned sleeves and valves, and pistons and rotating assemblies, and a Honda shop, and an aftermarket shop, and LT1's and odyssey and mdx motors, and porting/polishing, and nitrous, and forced induction, etc. i have no idea what's going on with your car....
mondojackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondojackal
wow. is it just me, or is your write-up part of your post just completely erratic and all over the place?? i can't even understand or follow what you're trying to say. you mentioned sleeves and valves, and pistons and rotating assemblies, and a Honda shop, and an aftermarket shop, and LT1's and odyssey and mdx motors, and porting/polishing, and nitrous, and forced induction, etc. i have no idea what's going on with your car....
i was thinking the same thing. What exactly did you have done to your car when this dyno was performed.
JHAWK13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I think its just you guys. he was trying to explain what route he was thinking of going, but was advised against going that route by one of his local shops that works on LS1s, etc..

His mods are at the bottom of his post, right before the dyno was posted.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to BNut
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywilliam
Hey man, you need a tune, you're hittin an a/f of 15.5 at the vtec changover. That's bad news.
LOL, that's not the VTEC changeover. That dip is from changing gears on the dyno. If you look at the dyno graph you can see that the HP and Torque lines cross twice.
BNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in