Bringing back PS'ing! [Infiniti G37] - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > GRAPHIC DESIGN and ART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Bringing back PS'ing! [Infiniti G37]

Apparently photoshopping isn't cool anymore, lets bring it back

Gone but not forgotten:
  • 2013 Honda Accord 4dr EX-L
  • 2002 Honda Accord 4dr EX-V6
  • 1999 Honda Accord 4dr LX
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

wow grill bumper drop, and a lil touch up made that ***** car turn into a mans car.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Formerly VTEC-v6!

The flares are considerably bigger, but I made them subtle so it's hard to notice. You can tell by looking at the gap between the rear fender flare and the crease going down the body

Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4

Looks good!!! Is the front bumper from another car or did u just make it as you went?
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM   #5
*this space for rent*

Send a message via AIM to UrbanRocker
your grill looks a whole lot better! Nice Chop
UrbanRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
nice job on the chop!
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
Your exactly why there isnt a contest anymore LOL
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Accord4cyl View Post
Looks good!!! Is the front bumper from another car or did u just make it as you went?
Just did it by hand...I knew what I wanted and made it happen
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexsoN View Post
Your exactly why there isnt a contest anymore LOL
you're fired.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #10
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
hehe, June's rice it out contest got me 2 entries.
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #11

well i had to throw a chop out since i saw urs..any good?

Last edited by 00Accord4cyl; September 4th, 2007 at 01:23 PM..
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Formerly VTEC-v6!

You want some constructive feedback? I can tell you what you need to work on so that you can get better, but you have to promise not to get mad
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #13

^yeah that is what i need..and i know the front bumper needs it..i am having a horrible time with it
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Sweet, glad to help

Part One - Paint

It looks like you completely desaturated it for a silver look. What you need to remember is that silver cars still reflect color, so hitting the desaturate button is generally "not" a good idea. It makes the paint dull and lifeless.

I used my working PSD file and took a stab at making the car silver. Here's what I did:

First up, you need to look at the entire image before messing with paint colors, not just the body of the car. In the original pic for this car, note the orange sunlight washing out the front bumper. That irritated the piss out of me, and no matter what kind of changes I did the the paint, I always ended up with a big yellow spot all over the front bumper. I canned everything I did and started over on the paint. I used the eye dropped tool to pick a light shade of bluish silver off the hood of the car, switched to the brush tool, selected the color mode, and dropped the opacity down a bit from 100%, and repainted the front end. You have to remember that you can't just make the light go away though, this goes back to looking at the "big picture." You can see the orange light in everything around the car too, so you can't completely get rid of it, but there's nothing that says you can't tone it down. I did and now that I fixed that, I could move on

I used the color balance tool to neutralize the existing paint color as much as possible. Most silver cars have a hint of blue to them (well at least the attractive ones ). You really have to just play with the sliders to get the result you want, there is no definite formula or adjustment amount that will get the color perfect. Don't forget those three radio buttons, you can adjust the shadows, midtones, and highlights separately. You'll just have to play with this one until you get it right.

The next thing I did is opened up the levels tool, if you arent familiar with this, there are three sliders. The two on the ends pretty much control contrast, and the one in the middle controls the overall brightness. The one on the left will make your shift your dark colors even darker, and the one on the right does the opposite, it makes your brights brighter. What I did on my image, is I took the middle slider and moved it slightly to "brighten" up the paint. A good silver color is nice and bright.

Don't be afraid here if you lose some of the detail in reflections, it's important to remember realism (well, if thats your goal ) Most silver paints don't have deep reflections, so it will actually help out a bit losing some of that detail.

Up next is the curves tool, CS3 has a few presets to help you out, like Lighten, Darken, Increase Contrast etc. I know how to make my own custom curves but I have NO clue how to explain it

If you have CS3, you can play with the presets to find a result you like. Sometimes you won't find anything you like, that comes with the territory. I used the Linear Contrast curve on mine to even out the contrast a bit and enhance some of the detail I lost during the brightening of the paint.

Well, thats basically a quick run down on how I did the silver paint here...this is what I came up with:

I'll type up some more later, I'm hungry
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #15

thanks for the ideas..for the paint i used just levels actually..that is what i use if i want to adjust blacks/whites..but for colors i usually go to saturation/colorize..i need to try your idea about the orange..i noticed that when i tried to change the paint..which is why i just went for silver..but obviously i did too much like usual haha

I think the reason my paint came out to look kinda flat and what not is i put a light filter on it..the omni one, which made the sides way too dull..That silver looks really good though..i might have to mess around with curves some..every time i try to i usually just give up haha..

thanks for that write up..i will have to mess around later tonight when i have some more time..when you do paint do you manually select every area to paint or do you just duplicate the car and delete the areas you don't want to paint..also which brush setting do you use for painting, just the default one at a smaller size/opacity..for the front bumper i had it at around 10 for the size and the opacity and flow down to like 40% I suck at that though
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #16
Formerly VTEC-v6!

The paint is usually the last thing I do on a car. I do all the body work, drop, rims, etc. I do a save-as to a second PSD file, and flatten the image. Then I take the poly lasso tool and select each and every part that has paint. Usually I'll go around the entire car, then go back and subtract (ctrl-click w/ the poly lasso i think) things like headlights, grilles, windows, etc.

When I went and painted the bumper up with the brush, I had to go way bigger than 10. I always work with the image at full size, and then reduce it when I'm done. That way if you screw up on the big one, its less noticeable on the smaller copy. My original size for this image was 4288 X 2848, so you do the math what size brush I used, cause I don't remember

Usually when doing a large area like that, I'll just pick a big brush and be careful not to let it overlap to the hood or doors and what not. If it's over shooting your target area, hit undo, go smaller and try again. Most of this stuff is all about trying 10 different things, and picking the one that works the best for you.

Probably not going to have alot of time to do another detailed write-up for quite a while, took the day off work today since I'll basically be doing the "IT Project Death March" for the next few weeks. So here's a quick run down:

My other points were going to focus on attention to detail, the little things make the difference.

Example, when you made your rear rim bigger, you added in negative camber. Thats fine, but you needed to correct for the INSIDE of the tire too. Your rear tire looks more like a cone shape than a cylinder. Not realistic = looks bad

Other things, if you're going to crank up the contrast of the background, your car had better match...no exceptions, unless you're trying to emulate some weird artsy fartsy technique, in which case, it's not going to look real anyway.

Spend a little more time on the little stuff, the grille is blurry and uneven where you erased the infiniti logo, and although the drop you did was decent, its important to remember lighting direction and shadows. If you're gonna slam the car, you need to "make" some shadows on the rims where they are tucked up into the wheel wells, especially on a shot with the front wheels turned. On your side skirt, its angle faces the ground, the part that faces the ground needs to be darker since it's not reflecting sunlight back to the camera. Most of the painting process in PS'ing is getting the lighting right. That will take the longest to get decent at, it takes a good amount of practice, curiosity, and patience. I suggest holding out on paint for the time being and working on the other stuff.

As far as the body work goes, there's many ways to do things. When you start with a very high resolution image, you have a good amount of "parts" to play with that are already on the car. For example, I created the lower grille on my chop by taking the individual parts of the OEM lower grilles (top, left, right, bottom, mesh, etc) and transforming them to fit whatever you have in mind. Stretch em, warp em, copy/paste em...just be creative.

I had originally played with putting an M5 bumper on this car, but one thing you will quickly learn with full-on bumper transplants like that, is that if the picture you're taking the parts from isn't almost the exact same angle, it ain't gonna work

Like I said before, I'm going to be real busy for a while, but I'll try to put up some more later

Anyways, I'm not sure how you did your body work...if you let me know what technique you used, I might be able to help you improve it a bit. But as of that last pic, the front bumper isn't uniformly shaped and it's far too blurry to match the rest of the paint. Either it's reflective, or its not. "Blurry" paint almost never looks good in a photoshop, unless its a studio shot of a car with no sharp lines at all, but even then *bleh*
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #17
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
do you have one in a MUCH higher resolution so i can use it as wallapaper?
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Name your resolution and I'll resize it
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #19
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexsoN View Post
hehe, June's rice it out contest got me 2 entries.
No you're fired for your misuse of the word YOUR. How hard is it really? They don't mean the same thing, one practically gives you the second word of its meaning
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #20

Woo!! thanks for the help..i am going to have to get some practice going..and to tell you the truth, paint is usually the first thing i do..well after i lower the car...i guess i have my priorities set wrong haha.

As for the body work...all i did was add a new layer select an area for what the new body work would look like and just start painting..start out with the light shades and just work to the dark..then once i am done i try and blend them together more..but i have a hard timing making the body work look shiney...but that is probably just practice
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #21
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Basically you're trying to airbrush and it's a pretty advanced technique...start small and work up from there. For now, practice taking existing parts of the car, and from other cars and transforming them to what you want to look like.

Airbrushing is deep magic
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #22

Very nice PS VTEC-V6... Props... Now find a black g37 and photoshop it so I can use it as my wallpaper..

Will most likely buy one next year ....
drive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #23
Formerly VTEC-v6!

PS'ing black cars is a nightmare. You'll spend 90% of your time trying to fix the reflections you screwed up
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM   #24
-Maninder

I guess the photoshop section really is dead on V6P...:-\
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Teirs
whatever happened to those monthly photoshop contests anyways
Teirs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM   #26

haha yeah it is kinda dead...i personally just don't have time to do it anymore
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #27
-Maninder

Sorry to bump such an old thread...but I ps'd same car so I wanted to show it.
I'm only 17 and have been using photoshop for about 3 years, so my skills arent as great as others. This isn't my greatest chop either, it's a bit ehhh.

Old December 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #28
Destroyer of Tires

Looks pretty clean I'd say. I like the color of the car.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #29
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Looks pretty clean I'd say. I like the color of the car.
Thanks Kevin.
I like the color too.
Usually color changes don't come out too nice but i say it came out fairly well this time.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #30
hellaSLAMMED,

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=415793

this is from when i went through my airbrushing stage lol
joshgilley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in