Gauging Interest: 6th gen Skid Plates - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > V6P MARKETPLACE > CLASSIFIEDS > GROUP BUYS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

Gauging Interest: 6th gen Skid Plates

I noticed the other night when I had my car on the lift that my oil pan and flex pipe were pretty scraped up from being so low all summer. So sometime before spring, I'll be having a machine shop fab me up a skid plate to protect my oilpan and exhaust. Just wondering if theres any interest out here for any other 6th geners?

As for material, I'll be checking out both 1/4" steel and 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum. Pricing is rough because I haven't talked to him yet, but probably in the vicinity of $200-350, which, if you think about it is nothing compared to what a new engine would be when you break your oil pan.

Anyway, let me know if any of you guys are interested, I'll be talking to the machinist first of the week to finalize a price/material etc. and then if theres enough interest, I'll talk to the mods about setting up some kind of group buy.
Jerkzack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2

sounds good keep us updated
CyN13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
4.0L

if you break your oil pan...you could just get a new oil pan. i'm interested...and i actually wanted to try making something myself...but for $200 that's a bit steep for sheet metal.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1 View Post
if you break your oil pan...you could just get a new oil pan. i'm interested...and i actually wanted to try making something myself...but for $200 that's a bit steep for sheet metal.
If you break your oil pan, you lose all your oil and if its not caught within 10 seconds of this happening, kiss those engine bearings and rings goodbye.

And just for clarification, this isn't going to be sheet metal, this will be made out of thick hardened steel (same stuff aftermarket truck skid-plates are made from) or aluminum. I'm hopefully going to go with aluminum simply for light-weight and strength but I'll keep you updated.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #5
same avatar since 03'

Send a message via AIM to kEyChAiN
I'm pretty interested. Keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kEyChAiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Car Person Wanna-Be

Send a message via AIM to X-IceMurder-X
in for information
X-IceMurder-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #7
b20vem1

very interested. keep us updated
CG_TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Team Street Geekz

Send a message via AIM to CG2_MANG
interested as well KEEP US UPDATED!!
CG2_MANG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Dngrwillrobinson
**clap clap** im interested
Dngrwillrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #10
CG1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ATran Send a message via MSN to ATran
hell yes im interested. my flex pipe of my header is leaking oh well its worth the slam haha. i hate my friends drive way.

i wonder if i put the skid plate on the flex pipe the sound will go away ... i have a small hole in my flex pipe
ATran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #11
Car Person Wanna-Be

Send a message via AIM to X-IceMurder-X
yea id prefer aluminum...i dont want something heavy under my front end dragging my car down closer to the road, lol.
X-IceMurder-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #12
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
what the hell do you plan on doing??? taking speed bumps at 40 mph? i ride pretty low and i dont scrape up my header pipe/oil pan at all.

how much will this plate weigh? i heard they add a lot of weight onto the car
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Supernova m33

Send a message via AIM to ngc604
great solution.... go slow over speed bumps. if people yell at you pull out the shotgun(which you bought instead of the skid plate) and ask if they have a problem. you can kinda go to their car(w/ shotgun) and explain that you have lowered your car and that they are not going to have to pay for engine work if you mess it up. or you can skip the whole shotgun thing and just flip them off as you take you jolly ole sideways moving a$$ over the speed bumps.

also, if you know your going to scrape somewhere why the fu*k are you going there? within all the cities i drive on a normal basis i know exactly where i am going to scrape so i do not go to those establishments or houses. that is one reason why i cannot go to KFC in corona anymore. i have a friend that is lowered and hits driveways and speed bumps wrong and he b|tches all the time about how bad that is for the engine. all i can tell him is, "well.... don't do that then..."

on a positive note. you can make the skid plate real heavy and maybe that will make my front fender gap equal to my rear.....
ngc604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc604 View Post
great solution.... go slow over speed bumps. if people yell at you pull out the shotgun(which you bought instead of the skid plate) and ask if they have a problem. you can kinda go to their car(w/ shotgun) and explain that you have lowered your car and that they are not going to have to pay for engine work if you mess it up. or you can skip the whole shotgun thing and just flip them off as you take you jolly ole sideways moving a$$ over the speed bumps.

also, if you know your going to scrape somewhere why the fu*k are you going there? within all the cities i drive on a normal basis i know exactly where i am going to scrape so i do not go to those establishments or houses. that is one reason why i cannot go to KFC in corona anymore. i have a friend that is lowered and hits driveways and speed bumps wrong and he b|tches all the time about how bad that is for the engine. all i can tell him is, "well.... don't do that then..."

on a positive note. you can make the skid plate real heavy and maybe that will make my front fender gap equal to my rear.....
Do you honestly think these are going to be heavy enough to even lower your car 1/16" of an inch?! Have you ever lifted a sheet of 3/16" aluminum?? If I'm successful in getting these made out of aluminum, they wont weigh any more than 25lbs, steel- maybe 35-40. Don't know if youre trying to be smart or something, but I can almost guarantee you won't notice a difference ride height/driveability.

I see your point though, if you know somewhere you're going to bottom out, don't drive there...but thats pretty much a given. But what about sometime you're driving down the freeway and theres a huge rock in the middle of the road and you have ZERO time to react? Or sometime youre cruising around in an unfamiliar territory, you gonna scout it out first? Or that speedbump you advised me to drive over slowly. I've tried that, slower than a walk, at an angle, everything...and I still bottom out, as I'm sure many other people do. This is something that will not only protect from the everyday speedbumps and potholes you already know and try to avoid, but the inevitable rocks, debris and other things that could really bust your engine up.

And stupidaznmunkey, I realize a lot of you guys are from Socal, or other surrounding areas where the roads are endlessly smooth. I am not, I come from the east coast of Canada where our roads can get pretty brutal sometimes... Personally, thats why I'm getting mine made, because the roads are just too hard on my oilpan.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #15
Supernova m33

if you made it out of cast iron.....

yes i was being a smart a$$

also. if you think cali roads are "endlessly smooth" then you need to take a trip out here. our roads are fu*ked! drive around LA and you'll feel right at home. that is another reason i dont go to LA.

and what kind of sh|t happens out there where you have huge rocks just laying around?

and one more thing... if you live in a country with roads from hell then why are you lowered so much?

and theres always time to react. just depends on how well you watch the road.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #16
b20vem1

^ you need to get out of here wit that sh!t. everyone here is interested for a reason. just because you cant hang wit a dumped car. we dont need that kinda attitude around here cuhz.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #17
A n g u s D e i

Send a message via AIM to itchthys
Quote:
if you made it out of cast iron.....

yes i was being a smart a$$

also. if you think cali roads are "endlessly smooth" then you need to take a trip out here. our roads are fu*ked! drive around LA and you'll feel right at home. that is another reason i dont go to LA.

and what kind of sh|t happens out there where you have huge rocks just laying around?

and one more thing... if you live in a country with roads from hell then why are you lowered so much?

and theres always time to react. just depends on how well you watch the road.
^He makes some good points though.

& He's right, LA roads are messed UPPPPPP. And I scraped my Comptech headers because I was headed to downtown LA. This was on the freeway.. this IS a good idea.. but I don't feel like adding more weight to my car, IF it's going to be heavy.
itchthys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Supernova m33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG_TypeR View Post
^ you need to get out of here wit that sh!t. everyone here is interested for a reason. just because you cant hang wit a dumped car. we dont need that kinda attitude around here cuhz.
how about you leave the ethug sh|t at the door. i am just messing with the guy. i am also stating that you need to have half a brain to drive a lowered car since you cannot go driving around like your in a 4x4.

but i guess a guy that says wit and cuhz just might not have half a brain. maybe you need a skid plate made out of titanium or tungsten????

now sorry for hijacking your thread man. it is a good idea. where do you think you are going to have the guy mount the skid plate. do you think custom holes will have to be drilled or use existing holes. and how much space will there be in between the headers/oil pan and the plate?
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Not sure how good of an idea this will be.

Your basically guarenting that you will scrape the skid plate instead and how good will it be against bulking in, because then you just have the skid plate scrapping yur stuff

Still intersting though, kind of want to see how it will end up looking.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #20

Quote:
now sorry for hijacking your thread man. it is a good idea. where do you think you are going to have the guy mount the skid plate. do you think custom holes will have to be drilled or use existing holes. and how much space will there be in between the headers/oil pan and the plate?

Apology accepted and thanks for getting this back on track. Ideally, I don't want to have to drill any more holes in the frame, I want it reasonably easy to take off (for oil changes and such) and of course light so its easy to take on and off and won't add much weight to the car. But these are all things I'm going to have to discuss with the machinist about when we're designing this.

Sorry this is taking so long to get some info, I've been trying to get my car up to his shop so he can get some measurements, figure out labour time and costs etc etc. but with school wrapping up for break, and exams piling on in the next 2 weeks, it may be after the new year before I have some definite info for you guys. Thanks for the enthusiasm and I hope this project is a success.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM   #21
I Love My Ksport!

Send a message via AIM to VietBoiCG1
im interested in it..keep me inform..i crack the oil pan and front pipe before and i dont want it to happen again...cost me 1400 to get parts replace + labor cost total...soo im very interested in it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietBoiCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM   #22
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

im interested in one....just keep this thread updated. Id like to see how it turns out... My cucso front bar is completey scraped up, along with my dp....
99cfENVYv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #23
4.0L

chris...you should make a CF one...i'd buy that

jerkzack -- my friend's 02 4cyl Accord coupe somehow lost pretty much all it's oil...i'm talking the dipstick was dry...her car shut off (like it ran out of gas) with the oil light on before anything happened to the motor. the car's running fine now. ANNNND if you hit something hard enough to crack your oil pan so bad that you lose ALL traces of oil in 10 seconds? i'm pretty sure you stop and check it out...or that you've got bigger problems than an oil pan to worry about...like what happened to the wheel that just fell off...or why your transmission is being dragged behind you. you also said hardened steel at one point and aluminum at another point. the steel is going to be heavy...the aluminum is gonna be weak (unless you're talking about an alloy...but that's gonna cost a lot more). maybe you should consider making something to cover the oilpan and the tranny casing only.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #24
b20vem1

so what is the news on this??
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #25

Yes I know its a very old thread, so instead of making a new thread I figured I would ask on this old one...

Does anyone know someone who can make a custom skid plate, I want to get a good set of heads but I don't want to crack them as soon as I get them so I want to see if anyone has some feedback, I know Robert made one for his up in Texas but anyone in Cali or know where I can get one shipped for a decent price?
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #26
Destroyer of Tires

Just go to a metal fabrication shop. They can custom make one for you for a couple hundred bucks probably. Be sure to get a nice steel one though. If your car is lowered, and you're running an aluminum one, it's not going to last nearly as long.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #27

Ok thanks ima look up some places near by.
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #28
Destroyer of Tires

I got my strut towers notched at a metal fab shop here in SoCal for like $120 or something like that, and although the pieces were smaller, the work was a bit more intensive. So I'm assuming making a skid plate would be under $250 at other places.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in