2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > HYUNDAI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe turns up the wick with big horsepower boosts

Quote:
2013 GENESIS COUPE REVEALS MORE AGGRESSIVE DESIGN COUPLED WITH SERIOUS PERFORMANCE CREDENTIALS

Hyundai's Rear-drive Sport Coupe Receives More Powerful Powertrain Technologies, More Aggressive Design, Upscale Interior Refinement and Blue Link® Telematics

DETROIT, Jan. 9, 2012– Hyundai Motor America today introduced the significantly redesigned 2013 Genesis Coupe in a North American debut at the Detroit North American International Auto Show. In keeping with impressive performance upgrades, Genesis Coupe now sports more aggressive coupe styling, complemented by improved interior materials and design. Both 4-cylinder and V6 engines benefit from significant technology enhancements, with the 3.8-liter V6 engine receiving sophisticated direct-injection technology and the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine upgrading to a more precise twin-scroll turbocharger and larger intercooler. Automatic transmissions for these two models now have 8-speeds, with paddle-shift SHIFTRONIC® manual-shifting capability. Hyundai's proprietary telematics platform, Blue Link®, is now available, providing Genesis Coupe owners with a variety of infotainment services to meet their individual connectivity needs.

HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2013 GENESIS COUPE
• Refreshed, more aggressive exterior design
o New front fascia, grille, headlight, fog light, hood designs
o New 18- and 19-inch wheel
o New LED-enhanced taillight design
o Available LED daytime running lights (DRLs)
• 3.8-liter V6 engine receives direct-injection technology
o 348 horsepower, 295 lb.-ft. torque (rating with premium fuel)

o Improved fuel economy for both transmissions
• 18 city/28 highway – 8-speed A/T
• 18 city/27 highway – 6-speed M/T
• 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine receives new twin-scroll turbocharger and larger, more thermally-efficient intercooler
o 274 horsepower, 275 lb.-ft. torque (rating with premium fuel
)
o Improved fuel economy for A/T
• 20 city/31 highway – 8-speed A/T
• 21 city/30 highway – 6-speed M/T
• New, in-house-developed 8-speed automatic transmissions
o Paddle-shift SHIFTRONIC® capability
• New, retuned low-velocity-control suspension dampers
• Blue Link® telematics available on 3.8 Grand Touring/Track and 2.0T Premium
• Electroluminescent gauge cluster with information display
• Telescopic steering wheel (added to tilt function)
• Driver seat power lumbar adjustment
• Redesigned center stack appearance and gauges
Honda BLOWS. They have fallen WAY behind.
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to v6xjinbo
wow... the Hyundai 2.0T's HP has increase Tremendously!!!!
v6xjinbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Bobby Lane Racing

at the end of the day its stilla Hyundai.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
"At the end of the day it's still a Honda." - Random domestic driving redneck

WTF does turn up the wick mean?

Kudos to Hyundai for building cars that Honda refuses to.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5
03 AV6 Coupe

The front of the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is so ugly. They took the grill from the Mazda 3. Other than that it is a great car. But in no way does honda blow. They just don't have a car to compete with the Genesis Coupe. The S2000 was the only car in that category from honda and I am sure they will be working on a replacement for that in the near future. Working on the accord was more important as it is Hondas best selling vehicle.
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
✔ Verified Member

The Accord Coupe and the Genesis Coupe are in the same category, no?

The Accord is outclassed, and by what was revealed this morning, my point is proven.
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
03 AV6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsb708 View Post
The Accord Coupe and the Genesis Coupe are in the same category, no?

The Accord is outclassed, and by what was revealed this morning, my point is proven.
I don't see how your point is proven when you were wrong from the beginning. The accord coupe and genesis coupe are not in the same category. The Genesis coupe is in the same class as the 370Z, Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang and so on. The Accord Coupe is in the same category as the Nissan Altima Coupe. They are classed as Passenger Cars not sports cars like the Genesis. Not only that but the Accord V6 Coupe and Nissan Altima Coupe are FWD not RWD.

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Bobby Lane Racing

^ that is correct. The accord coupe was not designed with performance sports car in mind.
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #9
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
If I were in the market for a new sporty coupe and was willing to sacrifice some quality to stay within a budget I would consider the Hyundai. If I were in the market for something economical, comfortable, and reasonably stylish, but was willing to drive an unenthusiastic yawn-mobile, I'd pick up another Honda.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
✔ Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav6 View Post
I don't see how your point is proven when you were wrong from the beginning. The accord coupe and genesis coupe are not in the same category. The Genesis coupe is in the same class as the 370Z, Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang and so on. The Accord Coupe is in the same category as the Nissan Altima Coupe. They are classed as Passenger Cars not sports cars like the Genesis. Not only that but the Accord V6 Coupe and Nissan Altima Coupe are FWD not RWD.
Let's get down to a comparison:

You take the top of the line Accord Coupe:
2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 6-Spd MT w/ Navigation System - Yahoo! Autos

and the top of the line Genesis Coupe:
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Manual - Yahoo! Autos

Market Average:
Honda: $30,591
Hyundai: $30,329

Now to me, I look at price range to be considered in the same class. When I factor in the performance numbers the Hyundai scores higher points not only in the HP and TQ numbers but more importantly just being RWD. That is why I said the Accord is outclassed. You can get the 3.8 R-Spec Genesis Coupe for ~$26k and with the Accord barely get yourself into the four cylinder Coupe.

This argument can go on forever but it cannot be denied that the days of the early 90's Accent's are very much over. I'm also not going to be blind and say Honda is still above and beyond all other import companies, because they (as a company) have clearly fallen behind the curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
If I were in the market for a new sporty coupe and was willing to sacrifice some quality to stay within a budget I would consider the Hyundai. If I were in the market for something economical, comfortable, and reasonably stylish, but was willing to drive an unenthusiastic yawn-mobile, I'd pick up another Honda.
Well said.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:

Market Average:

Now to me, I look at price range to be considered in the same class. When I factor in the performance numbers the Hyundai scores higher points not only in the HP and TQ numbers but more importantly just being RWD. That is why I said the Accord is outclassed. You can get the 3.8 R-Spec Genesis Coupe for ~$26k and with the Accord barely get yourself into the four cylinder Coupe.

This argument can go on forever but it cannot be denied that the days of the early 90's Accent's are very much over. I'm also not going to be blind and say Honda is still above and beyond all other import companies, because they (as a company) have clearly fallen behind the curve.

Well said.
+1. If I were in the new car market, it would be between the AV6 6mt, and the Gen 3.8 R-Spec 6mt. Gen is priced right
FollowingNFront is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #12
Mark G.

Send a message via AIM to jobata23
Hyundai might have a nice specs and package, and like nighthawk said, its its still Hyundai and you wont see me driving one. Also Honda has proven its self already starting from formula 1 racing unlike Hyundai which was never part of the F1 history.
jobata23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #13
SFL AV6

Hyundai is just straight up wack n Overated...their current turbo genesis is a fail & the current genesis v6 is a COW...Hondas are always underrated. Don't be fooled by numbers and who comes with more hp from factory. When it comes to Honda we all know it's about power to weight ratio for performance.

Bottom line is we won't know the real deal about these cars until they hit the streets & people start taking to track and so on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #14
✔ Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiga21 View Post
When it comes to Honda we all know it's about power to weight ratio for performance.
Power to Weight Ratio for stock vehicles:

Honda Accord Coupe V6 6SPD W/ Navi has a curb weight of 3,423lb: 12.6
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track has a curb weight of 3,389lb: 9.8

Who's the cow now?

and as for the F1 racing comment, if I remember correctly the Hyundai Genesis Coupe raced at the Formula Drift Professional Drifting Championship, the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and select Redline Time Attack Series events in 2009 – thanks to a joint venture between Hyundai and racing champion Rhys Millen so Hyundai is definitely on the up and coming.
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #15
James

It looks better than the first gen but what's with the cheesy non-functional hood vents
jconnway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #16
03 AV6 Coupe

Quote:

Market Average:

Well said.
2 cars that are in the same price range do not make them in the same car class. They are in the same price category. People who are looking for a sports car and are willing to sacrifice ride and creature comforts will buy the Genesis. People who are looking for a blend of comfort, luxury, reliability and some sportiness go for the Accord coupe.

The accord isn't outclassed at all. They each exceed in their own category. The genesis exceeds in the performance category. The accord exceeds in the family coupe category. You will never see a magazine comparison test with a honda accord coupe V6 against a Hyundai Genesis V6 because they aren't in the same class.

I know you were pointing out HP and TQ numbers but just FYI there have been stock Accord V6 6MT running high 13's stock including the latest 2012 running [email protected] bone stock from a member on V6P. So even though the genesis coupe is RWD and has more HP and TQ on paper, it is not any faster.

Also no one has stated Honda is above and beyond everyone else. Also I think everyone knows that the 90's accent days are behind as every car company has evolved since then. I think you are beating a dead horse.

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17
03 AV6 Coupe

Quote:
Power to Weight Ratio for stock vehicles:

Honda Accord Coupe V6 6SPD W/ Navi has a curb weight of 3,423lb: 12.6
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track has a curb weight of 3,389lb: 9.8

Who's the cow now?

and as for the F1 racing comment, if I remember correctly the Hyundai Genesis Coupe raced at the Formula Drift Professional Drifting Championship, the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and select Redline Time Attack Series events in 2009 – thanks to a joint venture between Hyundai and racing champion Rhys Millen so Hyundai is definitely on the up and coming.
Let me help you out with your math. if you are comparing the 2012 Genesis Track Coupe vs the 2012 Accord V6 6MT like you posted earlier then you have posted the wrong power to weight ratio

3389/306hp =11.1

When the 2013 Accord specs come out then you can calculate them if you'd like to compare 2013 models

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #18
✔ Verified Member

My bad, thanks for the correction, but the Genesis still equals out to have a better PtW ratio than the Accord.

I am probably going out on a limb but Hyundai will still have the edge in the PtW ratio for the 2013 models either way.

As for the beating a dead horse comment, you are right, but give credit where credit is due.
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #19
Bobby Lane Racing

Hyundai did put together a decent platform to work off of. But the accord is in no comparison to the Hyundai. The Accord has absolutely no performance in mind during production/development.

Honda's primary goal is fuel efficiency, smaller displacement, without sacrificing power.

SOHC V6 Honda Accord makes as much power as alot of DOHC V6 out there. If Honda can develope this kind of engine, with lesser moving mechanical components and still yield the same power, You ought to bow to that.

I love the sound of DOHC V6. However I appreciate my single cam alot more knowing it woops most DOHC v6.

And I waste less than half a tank driving from Vegas back to Orange County, CA.

What non-hybrid car do you know that can pull that one off?

What kind of gas mileage does the Hyundai get?
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #20
SFL AV6

Ok yes hyundai has come a long way from elantra, congrats on genesis research & development Hyundai :bravo: But Like I said op, Overated cow, on wot the car goes MOOO. This is why they had to make drastic changes in performance area, because we & them see eye to eye that both cars were vip members in overrated club. Lets check the genesis resume real briefly before looking at the new gen....A stock 8gen si will Park the 2.0 turbo & will pull on the 3.8 v6 by a car minimum....stock 7gen accord pulls the stock si with no iVtec, LSD or high compression...u wanna know why ? Underrated but so is the si.
Another thing u can't determine, power to weight ratios realistically by concept or manufacture numbers...more like dyno numbers, power band, gear ratios etc

Examples of some Overrated cars;
g35 306, the 3.8 v6 eclipse 260, the first gen cobalt ss 260 sc (the following gen was a win tho turbocharged), the fail hyundai's u strive for both 4 & 6 cyl (2013 models might be pending this list also, hopefully not for the Hyundai fans)

Examples of some underrated cars;
Of course the 7th gen v6 accords with only 240 @ a cows weight like u said op, srt4s 230hp,8th gen civic si 197, hr 350z's 306 which run side by side with 370z's 330 with more aerodynamics n weight reduction

There is no credit due for genesis...I wanna see the v6 beat the new mustang lol or camaro...better yet see them beat each other...watch the 2.0 win over the 3.8 stock. Because when both modified the 2.0 would outrun the 3.8 in the current gen genesis models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Nor Cal Coordinator

OP still won't buy a 2013 GC
03TL_TypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Mark G.

Send a message via AIM to jobata23
Quote:
thats it? who cares its still a hyundai!

jobata23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #23

The new front end is hideous. Looks like a whale shark. With that said, the platform is a great one. The interior of the current Gen is pretty nice, so I imagine this one will be better.

I have to give Hyundai credit, since they are doing it big. The Gen sedan is one sick car. The coupe looks really nice although it's performance is mediocre. The new 2.0t seems to be the winner here with tons of aftermarket support, which will easily exceed 320-330whp on the stock turbo it looks like. The 3.8 is no slouch with what should be ~300whp stock, but will weigh a bit more. Stock for stock it will be no comparison like current. But once modded I'm sure the 2.0t will win.

Jiga Idk about a stock SI beating a 3.8. The SI's are rather slow in stock form, running 14.8-15.x usually. There was 1 I saw that ran 14.5 @95 I believe, but still nothing amazing considering the trap speed. Stock 3.8s are usually around 13.9-14.5 @98-101. My buddy owns one (6MT) and had my cousin drive it to race me. From a dig I left late so he immediately jumped 1-1.5 cars. I reeled him in and passed him once I hit 4th gear and pulled about 1-1.5 cars to 115. He was bone stock and we both had passengers (should've gotten it on tape). Although I had a bad start, they are still quick cars and should leave a stock SI pretty easily. I will say though that with the 3.8, their straight line performance is rather lacking.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #24
03 AV6 Coupe

My friend Joel has a Genesis Coupe 3.8L GT Auto. He is bone stock and we are going to the track on february 4th to duke it out. Should be a good run(I won't be surprised if I lose thats for sure). With his GT he has the 18's and softer suspenson setup vs the track and r-spec suspension. With my mods I am hoping to give him a run for his money! Im going to video tape it for sure.

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav6 View Post
My friend Joel has a Genesis Coupe 3.8L GT Auto. He is bone stock and we are going to the track on february 4th to duke it out. Should be a good run(I won't be surprised if I lose thats for sure). With his GT he has the 18's and softer suspenson setup vs the track and r-spec suspension. With my mods I am hoping to give him a run for his money! Im going to video tape it for sure.
Good luck! And get some runs on tape
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #26
Nor Cal Coordinator

I rather buy a Hyundai, then the ugly **** Honda and Toyota are putting out right now.
03TL_TypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #27
✔ Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TL_TypeS View Post
OP still won't buy a 2013 GC
I will, after you buy my car
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #28
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TL_TypeS View Post
I rather buy a Hyundai, then the ugly **** Honda and Toyota are putting out right now.

go buy one and tell us how you feel after
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Bottom line is we won't know the real deal about these cars until they hit the streets & people start taking to track and so on...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdpsR-GjLg]Hyundai Genesis Coupe Nurburgring - YouTube[/ame]

And that's with the old engine and not even the 6mt
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #30

Quote:
A stock 8gen si will Park the 2.0 turbo & will pull on the 3.8 v6 by a car minimum....stock 7gen accord pulls the stock si with no iVtec, LSD or high compression...u wanna know why ?

Examples of some Overrated cars;
g35 306, the 3.8 v6 eclipse 260, the first gen cobalt ss 260 sc (the following gen was a win tho turbocharged), the fail hyundai's u strive for both 4 & 6 cyl (2013 models might be pending this list also, hopefully not for the Hyundai fans)

There is no credit due for genesis...I wanna see the v6 beat the new mustang lol or camaro...better yet see them beat each other...watch the 2.0 win over the 3.8 stock. Because when both modified the 2.0 would outrun the 3.8 in the current gen genesis models.
Gen coupe vs Civic SI modded: Looks to me like the Genesis walked
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PaDU0OSygA]Si vs Genesis 3.8 MT - YouTube[/ame]

Just so you know, the Supercharged Cobalt had 205hp. The turbo had 260.

Gen coupe vs Camaro/Mustang: Beat the camaro
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq17ecwFI7M&feature=results_video&playnext =1&list=PL24F15A5421E10427]V-6 Coupe Drag Race! - Mustang vs Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs Camaro RS vs Challenger SE - YouTube[/ame]

Its no question that the Gen V6 will beat the Gen 2.0t stock for stock. It almost seems that is what you are elluding to in your second to last sentence, that the 2.0 will beat the 3.8 stock for stock. The 3.8 is not slow by any means and hangs tough with the Mustang and Camaro that boast the same power. Your argument seems a little biased because the car is a Hyundai in my opinion. Because if you're going to say the 3.8 is slow, then you have to say the Mustang and Camaro and slow, and I don't see you saying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in