2006 Hyundai Sonata - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > HYUNDAI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

2006 Hyundai Sonata

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata page

It looks like the Accord and Camry may finally have some respectable competition from Hyundai.

The new Sonata appears ready to play in the big leagues, something it's predecessor failed to do despite it's high value and long warranties. You're probably thinking, "It's a Hyundai, who cares?". Well, I like to cheer for the underdog. You see, when a new Accord (or Camry, for that matter) debuts, it's chart-topping success is a given, but when a new Sonata arrives, no one knows what will happen. Will it exceed expectations? Or will it be forgotten, doomed to reside at the bottom of the sales charts?

No matter the outcome, things will get interesting. What's even more interesting is the progress that Hyundai has made over the years. Each year, the Korean company gets closer and closer to the Japanese automakers in terms of reliability and quality. Hell, the last time I checked, their reliability ratings were higher than many of the domestic and European makes. Not bad considering they were at the bottom a few years ago. If they keep it up, they may one day be known for quality and reliability just like Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. With the new Sonata, it looks as if Hyundai may make that happen sooner than expected.

The car definitely looks the part of a mainstream family sedan. While it won't win any beauty contests, I think it looks clean and conservative, if a bit derivative. The stylists certainly didn't try anything daring or original when they penned it's shape. In fact, each section of the car seems to resemble a different sedan. The rear screams 7th-gen Accord (especially the taillights), the fenders and front doors recall the current-gen VW Passat, and the rear doors and roofline are very Camry-like in their shapes. The front-end has to be the most original part of the car with the scooped-out hood and sharp-looking projector headlamps. Despite those unique styling cues, the nose still manages to have a familiar look to it (I can't put my finger on what car it resembles though). Overall, I think it looks as good, or maybe even better, than the Camry and Accord.

Even with just a few interior photos available, it's easy to see that the 2006's interior is a huge improvement over the 2005's in both fit and finish. The plastics that make up the dash no longer look incredibly cheap and insubstantial, and the pieces fit together without wide, jagged seams between them. Even the faux wood trim has been improved. Not only is the new car's interior a class above the old car's in quality, but it's a class above in space, too, literally. The 2006 Sonata boasts 105.4 cubic-feet of passenger space (the old car had 100.0) and 16.3 cubic-feet of trunk space (the old car had 14.0, the same as a 7th-gen Accord) for a total volume of 121.7 cubic-feet (the Camry has 118.5, the Accord has 116.7) , enough to land it in the EPA's Large Car category. That's a lot of space in a car that's within an inch of the Accord in every dimension.

In addition to best-in-class interior space, the new Sonata also leads the class in standard safety features. 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Traction Control (TCS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), side airbags, side curtain airbags, and active head restraints, are standard on all models. Stability control isn't even available on the Accord, and neither the Camry nor the Accord are available with active head restraints. Of those safety features listed above, the current Sonata comes standard with only side airbags while ABS and TCS are optional, even on the top of line LX.

Unfortunately, the 2006 Sonata is missing some of the optional luxury features we've come to expect in a modern family sedan. Goodies such as HID headlamps, Navigation system, satellite radio, dual-zone climate control, and power adjustable pedals are not available at all. Strangely, the Korean Domestic Model (KDM) Sonata is available with such premium features as an Electronically Controlled Suspension (ECS), the aforementioned power adjustable pedals, and a reverse warning system. The photo below shows these features and more.

Now for the good stuff

Two all-new, high-feature all-aluminum engines provide power on par with the competition. The base engine, called Theta, is a 2.4 Litre DOHC 16-valve Inline 4 with Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) on the intake camshaft. It's replacing the cobby old iron-block, Sirius II inline four that's been in the Sonata since 1999. Output isn't final, but the preliminary specs show [email protected],800 rpm and [email protected],250 rpm. If those numbers hold true, the Theta engine will be very competitive with the Accord's and Camry's inline fours, on paper at least. It will be paired with either a 5-speed manual, or an adaptive 4-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual-shift control.

The Theta engine

The optional engine is a 3.3 Litre DOHC 24-valve V6 with Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) on the intake cam, a variable induction system, and a tuned dual exhaust system. Output for the Lamda V6 is estimated at [email protected],000 rpm and [email protected],500 rpm on 87 octane. The sole transmission available is an adaptive 5-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual-shift control. So no manual with the V6 .

The Lamda engine

Using the available specs and CarTest 2000, I am able to estimate the acceleration times of the three different powertrain combos.

The following numbers from CT 2K are what I expect to see in a mag like Car and Driver when they test the new Sonata:

2006 Sonata I4 5MT 0-60: 8.2 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2006 Sonata I4 4AT 0-60: 9.7 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2006 Sonata V6 5AT 0-60: 7.1 1/4-mile: [email protected]

Previous-generation Sonata:

2005 Sonata I4 5MT 0-60: 8.3 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 sonata I4 4AT 0-60: 9.9 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Sonata V6 4AT 0-60: 8.8 1/4-mile: [email protected]

Competition (still CarTest 2000):

2005 Camry I4 5AT 0-60: 8.7 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Camry I4 5MT 0-60: 8.7 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Camry V6 5AT 0-60: 7.3 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Camry SE 5AT 0-60: 7.6 1/4-mile: [email protected]

2005 Accord I4 5AT 0-60: 8.6 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Accord I4 5MT 0-60: 7.9 1/4-mile: [email protected]
2005 Accord V6 5AT 0-60: 7.1 1/4-mile: [email protected] (regular fuel)
2005 Accord V6 5AT 0-60: 6.8 1/4-mile: [email protected] (premium fuel)

And of course, I have to include the sluggish 6G AV6 in the comparison since I own one LOL

2002 Accord V6 4AT 0-60: 8.3 1/4-mile: [email protected]

As you can see, the Sonata V6 holds up well against the Camry V6 and Accord V6 (regular fuel). It's much faster than the previous V6 Sonata, that's for sure. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a few owners manage to run low 15's at the track. The 4-cylinder models lag behind the competition somewhat, but they still accelerate adequately.

More info, specs, and pictures can be found in the links below:

Press Release

Photo Gallery (56k destruction)

Specifications

Features

There's been no word on pricing as of yet, but we should find out sometime in the coming weeks before the car's scheduled debut sometime this Spring.

I apologize for the length.

Thanks for reading!
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

damn, nice writeup

Yeah the new Sonata is sweet. I'll have to at least put it on my test drive list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
audi a4/subaru legacy front end and a honda accord sendan rear end. seems to have the new a4 side profile too.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #4
M62B44tu powaH!

hmm... I hope I don't get flammed for this but its a nicer looking 7th gen Honda Accord sedan (like 5X's better)

I like it, the proportions are right, the front end looks low and mean, like the new Subie Legacy but not as squinty.
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Great thread TH23 .

Not crazy about the interior but the 3.3L V6 is a big plus .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23
Unfortunately, the 2006 Sonata is missing some of the optional luxury features we've come to expect in a modern family sedan. Goodies such as HID headlamps, Navigation system, satellite radio, dual-zone climate control, and power adjustable pedals are not available at all. Strangely, the Korean Domestic Model (KDM) Sonata is available with such premium features as an Electronically Controlled Suspension (ECS), the aforementioned power adjustable pedals, and a reverse warning system.
Because just like the Japanese car companies, Hyundai likes to chop the great innovative features out of the cars they import to America.

Quote:
Despite those unique styling cues, the nose still manages to have a familiar look to it (I can't put my finger on what car it resembles though).
I can't either .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #6
M62B44tu powaH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
Great thread TH23 .

Because just like the Japanese car companies, Hyundai likes to chop the great innovative features out of the cars they import to America.

I can't either .
I think its a Legacy

Legacy

legacy

ECHO ECHo ECho Echo echo
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
engine is nice
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #8

WOW great thread, that car looks great, its just as i thought around 4 years ago, that Hyundai would Evolve quickly and give big competition.

i think the front looks like a TSX, or a TL.
Epyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #9
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
damn, nice writeup

Yeah the new Sonata is sweet. I'll have to at least put it on my test drive list.
Thanks!

It's definitely worth a look. The long warranties make it a great choice for those looking to keep their next new car for a long time.

It's a shame they're not going to offer a manual transmission with the V6 Oh well, at least the 5-speed automatic is geared pretty well and makes the most out of the available power. It should be good for low to mid 15's at the track, according to CarTest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max on This
hmm... I hope I don't get flammed for this but its a nicer looking 7th gen Honda Accord sedan (like 5X's better)

I like it, the proportions are right, the front end looks low and mean, like the new Subie Legacy but not as squinty.
I agree The Accord looks fine, but the Sonata has better proportions, especially in the rear. The Accord's trunk is too short and the rear is too dumpy-looking (the tailights are too big and sit too low on the car), IMO.

The 6th gen has the opposite problem. It looks fine from directly behind the car, but when viewed from the side the trunk lid is too long, the taillights are too large, and the backlight isn't raked enough.

Hopefully, Honda will get the proportions of the Accord sedan right when the 8th gen comes out in a few years

Quote:
Great thread TH23 .

Thank you

Yea, I agree with you there. The interior is a little on the bland side. Hell, the upper half of the dashboard looks like it was lifted straight out of the Camry, the leader in automotive blandness

Anyway, I think the interior looks fine for a family sedan priced around $20,000. You can't expect anything too fancy at that price

Quote:
Very true and it's a shame that they have to do that

Wait a second...now that I think about it, Hyundai may have saved the premium features like HID, NAV, memory seats, and dual-zone climate control for the upcoming redesign of their flagship, the XG sedan. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
audi a4/subaru legacy front end and a honda accord sendan rear end. seems to have the new a4 side profile too.
Ah...the A4. That's it! That's the car that I thought the Sonata's front end resembled. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon
WOW great thread, that car looks great, its just as i thought around 4 years ago, that Hyundai would Evolve quickly and give big competition.

i think the front looks like a TSX, or a TL.
Thanks man.

Absolutely! They've come a long way since their humble beginnings in the US 20 years ago. They may not be quite up to par with Honda, Toyota and Nissan yet, but they're getting there. Fast.
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #10
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Very true and it's a shame that they have to do that

Wait a second...now that I think about it, Hyundai may have saved the premium features like HID, NAV, memory seats, and dual-zone climate control for the upcoming redesign of their flagship, the XG sedan. Hmmm...
Maybe but the XG is a full sized sedan. Cutting features out of their mid sized sedan to save them for their upper class full size sedan doesn't make any sense. Especially when just about every other company’s mid sized sedans offer at least some of those features.

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #11
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Maybe but the XG is a full sized sedan. Cutting features out of their mid sized sedan to save them for their upper class full size sedan doesn't make any sense. Especially when just about every other company’s mid sized sedans offer at least some of those features.
I think they may be positioning the XG to take on the TL and ES330 at a budget price. That would mean the new XG will probably be priced in the high-20's to around $30k fully-loaded to be competitive and a good value. I have a feeling that if they gave the Sonata those premium features, it would be breathing hard down the XG's neck pricewise. Since the Sonata has become a large car for 2006 and the new XG will likely be similar in size and based on the same platform, feature content (and probably the engine) will be the dividing factor between them (like the Accord and TL).

That's my take on it, at least.
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #12

that car's taillights look like the new lexus's. the new IS i think
sneakyxaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #13
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyxaccord
that car's taillights look like the new lexus's. the new IS i think
Yea, they are pretty similar in shape. Huh
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #14
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

More pictures of the car (well at least the Korean version of the car), mainly of the interior, can be seen here:

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/cyber/Cy...cat=&x=20&y=16

It's looks like the Korean model is available with an in-dash DVD player. I doubt that it will make it over here though. I'd rather have a NAV system in it's place anyway.

Hopefully, the red stitching on the seats, steering wheel, floor mats and door panels will NOT make it to the States. It's appropriate in a sporty car like the VW GTi, but not in a family sedan, IMHO. The metallic trim can stay though. I kinda like it because it reminds me of the trim available in the previous-generation Audi A4 1.8T.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #15
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
This new Sonata, in korea is a HUGE hit.
Waiting list goes on for months.

New sonata definitely is freshened up.
Looks wise, Front is beautiful. I don't appreciate that hood line, but overall flows.
Rear is basically aggressive, sexier looking 7th gen sedan imo.
I think looks wise it deserves an A+. especially coming from hyundai.
Bump in performance aspect for sonata is a huge plus also.

And yes, korean cars sold here has WAY less features and little gizmos here and there.
I have rode many korean cars in korea, and also here in states.
Realized, so many options disappeared in us models. But we do receive bigger engine
here in states. There tend to be less powerful models in korea.
In my honest opinion, Traffic condition suggesting that there is no need for extra liters?
especially when gas price in korea is just a killer.

I really want to see this car in person see how it looks and feels.
I was never fan of sonata until this one came out.. emmmm..
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Pricing

New 2006 Hyundai Sonata Pricing Announced
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America
has announced pricing for the all-new 2006 Sonata, Hyundai's best-selling model. The first 2006 Sonata rolled off the production line in March at Hyundai's all-new manufacturing plant in Montgomery, Ala.

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata is an all-new vehicle featuring refined and
sophisticated styling, all-new powertrains, class-leading standard safety
features including six airbags and segment-first standard Electronic Stability Control, and an interior package so roomy its U.S. government size classification is "large car," slotting it a class above Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

"We're proud of the value equation we've engineered into the all-new
Sonata, with pricing that is $2,000 to $4,000 below comparably equipped
mid-size competitors," said Robert F. Cosmai, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor America.

2006 Hyundai Sonata Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing:
Sonata GL 4-cyl, 5-speed manual $17,895
Sonata GL 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $18,795
Sonata GLS 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $19,395
Sonata GLS 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $20,895
Sonata LX 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $22,895
The destination charge is $600.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company of Korea. Hyundai cars and sport utility vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced by more than 650 Hyundai dealerships nationwide.

I don't post on this board, but I look at the threads everyday. I just thought y'all would like to see some prices for this new sedan. With these prices, one has to consider this car over the Accord. I know Honda has excellent quality (which is why I own one), but according to Consumer Reports, the previous generaation Sonata has better reliability than the Accord. This is a car that is on my list of test drives this summer when I am off from the Academy for a while.

-Steve
stevencrosbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #17
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Awesome price. 23k for top of the line?
So take 2~3g off of it, you can get it under 20k? :whoa:

this is an awesome deal. Now I cant wait to hear some reviews from people who test drives it.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #18
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
New 2006 Hyundai Sonata Pricing Announced
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America
has announced pricing for the all-new 2006 Sonata, Hyundai's best-selling model. The first 2006 Sonata rolled off the production line in March at Hyundai's all-new manufacturing plant in Montgomery, Ala.

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata is an all-new vehicle featuring refined and
sophisticated styling, all-new powertrains, class-leading standard safety
features including six airbags and segment-first standard Electronic Stability Control, and an interior package so roomy its U.S. government size classification is "large car," slotting it a class above Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

"We're proud of the value equation we've engineered into the all-new
Sonata, with pricing that is $2,000 to $4,000 below comparably equipped
mid-size competitors," said Robert F. Cosmai, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor America.

2006 Hyundai Sonata Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing:
Sonata GL 4-cyl, 5-speed manual $17,895
Sonata GL 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $18,795
Sonata GLS 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $19,395
Sonata GLS 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $20,895
Sonata LX 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $22,895
The destination charge is $600.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company of Korea. Hyundai cars and sport utility vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced by more than 650 Hyundai dealerships nationwide.

I don't post on this board, but I look at the threads everyday. I just thought y'all would like to see some prices for this new sedan. With these prices, one has to consider this car over the Accord. I know Honda has excellent quality (which is why I own one), but according to Consumer Reports, the previous generaation Sonata has better reliability than the Accord. This is a car that is on my list of test drives this summer when I am off from the Academy for a while.

-Steve
Great info. Thanks!

Wow, you can get a well-equipped V6 model for under $21k, without destination. That's a few grand cheaper than a comparatively-equipped Accord LX V6. Good deal!
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #19
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Great info. Thanks!

Wow, you can get a well-equipped V6 model for under $21k, without destination. That's a few grand cheaper than a comparatively-equipped Accord LX V6. Good deal!
Just about $2,000 less than an Accord LX V6, around $1,500 less than a Camry LE V6, and just under $2,300 less than a Altima 3.5 SE (V6). And the Sonata LX is a steal IMO .

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #20
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Let's not forget their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. The best in the industry! I think Hyundai has itself a hit here! Damn...for 20k and you get all that car? I'm gonna have to recommend it for a test drive for all relatives looking at nice cheap new cars.

Can we say best bang for the buck? HID? It will probably show up next year. Same deal w/ the other stuff. Either way, I'd rather just put my own nav/dvd player in there

Hyundai's reliability is already up there w/ Toyota and Honda, so this should be a very interesting sales race.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #21
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Let's not forget their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. The best in the industry! I think Hyundai has itself a hit here! Damn...for 20k and you get all that car? I'm gonna have to recommend it for a test drive for all relatives looking at nice cheap new cars.

Can we say best bang for the buck? HID? It will probably show up next year. Same deal w/ the other stuff. Either way, I'd rather just put my own nav/dvd player in there

Hyundai's reliability is already up there w/ Toyota and Honda, so this should be a very interesting sales race.

Dizzy

This car has tons of value. It's priced like a domestic but has quality on par with Honda, Toyota, and Nissan, and, as you said, it has the best warranty in the business.

There's almost no reason not to buy this car if you're in the market for a low-$20k family sedan. For that price, you get a powerful V6 with decent fuel economy (20 MPG CITY, 30 MPG HWY), tons of features, and a level of safety equipment that's unmatched by anything else anywhere near it's price

The Sonata is no longer a 3rd class alternative to Camry and Accord. Dollar for dollar, it's actually better than those two because it combines tremendous value with top-notch build quality. The old Sonata offered tremendous value, but it didn't have the quality to be taken seriously when compared to the competition. I'm really proud of how far Hyundai has come the last few years.

I hope to own a new Sonata within a few years. I like it that much.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #22
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

TH23, have you seen this yet?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ine.promo.2g.*

The Camry, Accord, and Altima (not in Edmunds comparison) just got owned . Hopefully this will light a fire under Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's butt and show them that they just can't sit around thinking their cars have no other equal outside of the Japanese car manufactures.

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #23

hyundai is getting alot better with the styling of their cars. the tiburon isnt that bad of a looking car and then another good looking car from them.
streetxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
I'm not a big fan of Hyundai's. I remember when my sister and my brother in law bought their new sonata in 2001 they had banners in the Hyundai dealerhsip bragging that their cars are better than a camry and an accord. Being a present accord owner and a past owner of a camry, hyundai will never be better than either company.

4 years and 90,000 miles later my sister's sonata engine bearings blew out and she needed a new engine. Up to that point she followed their maintenence schedule like the Holy Bible and had everything serviced at the dealership even the oil changes. When she found out that she needed a new engine, Hyundai and the Hyundai dealership refused to cover the engine under the warranty or at least help pick up the bill. In fact they blamed it on my sister for driving the car so much. I think their warranty is all crap, for everything that failed on it, it was never fixed under the warranty.

So if you want to blow money on a crappy and unreliable company be my guest. I would take my "auto tranny time bomb" accord over a Hyundai anyday. Yeah their styling is getting better, but until they are proven to meet and exceed the RELIABILTY bar that toyota and honda has set, I would never utter the Korean company in the same sentence!

Last edited by CRV_33; August 11th, 2005 at 10:47 PM..
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #25
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV_33
I'm not a big fan of Hyundai's. I remember when my sister and my brother in law bought their new sonata in 2001 they had banners in the Hyundai dealerhsip bragging that their cars are better than a camry and an accord. Being a present accord owner and a past owner of a camry, hyundai will never be better than either company.

4 years and 90,000 miles later my sister's sonata engine bearings blew out and she needed a new engine. Up to that point she followed their maintenence schedule like the Holy Bible and had everything serviced at the dealership even the oil changes. When she found out that she needed a new engine, Hyundai and the Hyundai dealership refused to cover the engine under the warranty or at least help pick up the bill. In fact they blamed it on my sister for driving the car so much. I think their warranty is all crap, for everything that failed on it, it was never fixed under the warranty.

So if you want to blow money on a crappy and unreliable company be my guest. I would take my "auto tranny time bomb" accord over a Hyundai anyday. Yeah their styling is getting better, but until they are proven to meet and exceed the RELIABILTY bar that toyota and honda has set, I would never utter the Korean company in the same sentence!
One person's bad experience sure is a good generalization.
People with mercedes, BMWs, fords, hondas, toyotas, nissans, just about EVERY
company gets b1tched at by customers.

and god knows how your sister drives. no offense, but really.
I know so many people with hyundai. Mostly Santa Fe and Sonata.
I never heard a single complaint from them.

No company is near perfect, and they all make mistakes.
1 person out of 100 compains, ehh huge deal.

Im on my second honda(had nissan,mitsubishi before), and I complain
like no other. Accord had the made-out-of-bubbles-tranny(even though
mind never had a problem), and everything rattled like no other. Its brakes
and rotors prematurelly worn out(under 10k miles), and the damn dealership
wouldn't do anything about it. I got charged for checking CEL light, first one
for 140 bucks and second for 80 bucks.
I had the most horrible dealership experience ever with honda, along with their
un-educated technicians and "i'll-rip-you-off" service representatives.
oh and my accord's paintjob was so damn weak. It chipped every other day.

but does this mean honda sucks? just because I had a bad experience with it?
No. I've heard ton more good stories about hondas, and I know they make
great cars.

And you are a little out-dated on your sources, hyundai have already
rated equally with honda/toyota reliability. so uh... you basically called
honda/toyota a crappy and unreliable company.

So if you don't know too much about the company, don't put down any
random words just because your "sister" had a bad experience with it.
Give me a break.

btw, nice choice on the color of your accord. thats what I had.
Taffeta white is the sh1t!!
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #26
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
TH23, have you seen this yet?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ine.promo.2g.*

The Camry, Accord, and Altima (not in Edmunds comparison) just got owned . Hopefully this will light a fire under Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's butt and show them that they just can't sit around thinking their cars have no other equal outside of the Japanese car manufactures.
Oh yea, I saw that comparo not too long ago. I think HwaNi posted the link in the other Sonata thread recently. It was a good read

The Sonata did really well, better than I expected. The GLS V6 is an unbeatable value, offering V6 power and class-leading safety features for roughly the same price as the competition's mid-level 4-cylinder models (Accord LX and Camry LE). That value, along with the model's newfound competence, is what won the day.

It'll be interesting to see if the Sonata's trump card, value, still works as well when the more expensive LX model is compared to the Accord EX V6, Camry XLE V6, and Altima V6. It's up there where the value of the Sonata diminishes somewhat because the competition, especially the Accord EX V6, offers similar equipment levels and power for not much more money.

Still, as you said, Honda and Toyota better start taking notice before Hyundai passes them by and leaves them in the dust by selling top-quality vehicles at prices the competition can't touch. Hell, that may already be happening with the new Sonata
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
HwaNi.J30A-C all I am trying to state is that everyone keeps talking about how great the 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is. You should really take a look into what is what isn't covered. For example when my sister hit the 45,000 mile mark, she needed her alternator replaced. Hyundai said at that point they consider that a "wear and tear" issue and that the warranty no longer covered that part. there were like others things that went out like the backlight on her cd player, Hyundai also refused to fix that under warranty as well. Is that how a bumper to bumper warranty really works?

And the part that they insisted that since my sister drove the car too much, if their cars were so reliable and better built and keep in mind that she followed their maintenence schedule religiously, is this really a logical excuse? Like when you sitting in the dealership signing the papers for the cars, do you ever hear saleperson slip in, "hey i hope you only intend to drive xx,xxx miles of annually because anything more, it might break the parts".

I am just providing my sister's experience with Hyundai to help buyers like you to get information. and being outdated on my sources? I think seeing how the car drives first hand is pretty good one. I mean what would be a better one? Driving by a dealership admiring the car's exterior looks?

Last edited by CRV_33; August 12th, 2005 at 09:06 AM..
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #28
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV_33
HwaNi.J30A-C all I am trying to state is that everyone keeps talking about how great the 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is. You should really take a look into what is what isn't covered. For example when my sister hit the 45,000 mile mark, she needed her alternator replaced. Hyundai said at that point they consider that a "wear and tear" issue and that the warranty no longer covered that part. there were like others things that went out like the backlight on her cd player, Hyundai also refused to fix that under warranty as well. Is that how a bumper to bumper warranty really works?

And the part that they insisted that since my sister drove the car too much, if their cars were so reliable and better built and keep in mind that she followed their maintenence schedule religiously, is this really a logical excuse? Like when you sitting in the dealership signing the papers for the cars, do you ever hear saleperson slip in, "hey i hope you only intend to drive xx,xxx miles of annually because anything more, it might break the parts".

I am just providing my sister's experience with Hyundai to help buyers like you to get information. and being outdated on my sources? I think seeing how the car drives first hand is pretty good one. I mean what would be a better one? Driving by a dealership admiring the car's exterior looks?
You are posting same thing again. You still don't get the point.
Your sister's hyundai and alternator went out.
Ok, your accord has just about same bad problem as that hyundai then.
Accord alternator is known to blow also in case you haven't noticed.

You are keep talking like just because your sister's ONE hyundai had bad
experience, you talk like the whole hyundai's car sucks in general.

While we do appreciate your information, and its something that we definitely
want to hear, so that we know we might have a "chance" of getting a lemon
like your sister's(while that happens with honda and just about every other
company), but calling hyundai crappy and unreliable just because your sister
had a bad experience is pretty ignorant.

Again, if we go by your theory, counting how many damn complaints we have
about accords in V6P, it sure sounds like accord is the worst car ever you can get.
but that ain't true isn't it? Just a thought bro.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #29

i have drove the car and it is a great improvement on the last sonata, but hyundai did not get to creative because the vehicle itself is a mutt of all it's competition. the exterior is rape of accord, camry, legacy, tl, etc.. thumbs up on the engine. thumbs down on everything else.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #30
TQ challenged

GLS Premium specs do list adjustable pedals, not powered though.

Up here the Sonata is equal in price to a fully loaded Civic .
It makes me wonder what they left out to get such a low price.

Anybody know what the mod potential is for a Hyundai?
After all it's a 4 door family car ,not exactly a car that a hot rod tuner would buy.

Link to C/D review ,
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

HMFC Rebate! $1000 on 06 Sonata? Too bad not up here.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/shopping_t...cial_offer.asp

Last edited by ironmonkey; September 1st, 2005 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Rebate
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in