Thinking about moving to Chicago - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > REGIONAL CHAPTERS > ILLINOIS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
???

Send a message via AIM to five0netvv0
Thinking about moving to Chicago

It doesn't look like the illinois chapter is super active but i'll give it a shot anyway since i dont have many options.

Here's the situation. it's 2009 and i'm ready for a new life and leaving behind all of the drama in my life and yeah.... just ended my internship, going to quit my current job of 6 years, and no more girlfriend of 5 years.

i've been wanting to move and one of my best friends is being relocated to chicago. i'm thinking about moving with her but have never been to chicago.

i want to know what life is like in chicago and if it's something someone would recommend. I'm asian, 24 and somewhat financially stable in the sense that i can live for a while without having a job.

I'm looking for a good place to live that is close to public transportation (how is public transportation? my friend says its good), close to good food since i eat out a lot, good for young professionals and pretty safe. I would say something along the lines of the up and coming mission area in SF.

how is the nightlife in chicago?

what should i be concerned about when moving to chicago? one person said it'll be different cuz chicago actually has 4 distinct seasons, unlike SF.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

the warriors are doing horribly, but the only person i like on the current bulls squad is derrick rose. maybe i'll pick up a different sport haha.
five0netvv0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2
-Maninder

Chicago is very cold, you should know that before you go to...

So are you sure you wanna leave behind everything and start over?
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
???

Send a message via AIM to five0netvv0
that's what i keep hearing. COLD COLD COLD. one person said go to a grocery store with a walk-in freezer and stand in it for a couple hours hhaha. i thought that was hilarious.

i'm debating if i should move to chicago. i'm going to visit when my friend gets sent to transition into her new job. so if i like it i'll keep on planning to move. if i don't like it then i'll just stay in the city.

i'm not sure if i'm jumping the gun, but i do need to move. whether it be from SF to the south bay or to socal or to chicago. i've lived with my mom (granted i have my own unit in the building), but it's too close to her. i am really just too comfortable and am bored with life. moving out of my comfort zone is what i need. i wanted to quit my job after 1 year and i've been there for 5. so you get a picture of what i mean
five0netvv0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
DJ2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by five0netvv0 View Post
that's what i keep hearing. COLD COLD COLD. one person said go to a grocery store with a walk-in freezer and stand in it for a couple hours hhaha. i thought that was hilarious.

That would actualy feel warm compaired to what we are having now. -10 with -30 windchill.

Other than cold weather I think Chicago is a great place to live. Its not on any costs so we don't get any hurracanes or earth quakes which is good. According to many scientific perdictions most of the costs will be under water in the future. lol

There is a ton of things to do in the Chicago area. Its Chicago not Boise, Idaho. haha
I know it cost alot to live in CA so it should be a step down in housing costs except if you plan on living IN the city. If I where you I would look on the north side. But what ever you do don't become a Cubs fan.

where does your "girl friend" live?
AxisAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5

Chicago is like the third most populated city in the US? I love my hometown. I mean it is a big city, and while it can't compete with NYC when it comes to diversity, it's there. Depending on what you like you can find pretty much anything here.

The public transportation (the CTA) is pretty good. Hell, it has only failed me twice in my 3 years of using throughout high school. Mayor Daley as well as the former governor has put some extra money into the CTA to make Chicago look more attractive for the Olympic committee. But all in all, I think that the CTA works and gets you to most places that you would want to go in Chicago.

The nightlife is amazing. You got so many bars and clubs that you'll be wanting to be heading out every single day of the week.

Where do you plan to live? If you can name a neighborhood, I can help ya out a bit more.

Be aware that it is expensive to live in Chicago. 10.25% sales tax FTL. Cost of living here is pretty damn high.
d1blet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Chicago is one of the coolest cities in the whole country. Yes, cold as hell especially coming from anywhere in Cali. It's 90+ and very humid in the summer and gets well below zero with a lot of snow in the winter. Illinois actually budgets adequately for snow removal though, so it's manageable. There's TONS of stuff to do in the city. Yes, nightlife is very good. Tons of amazing restaurants too. The waterfront is great out by Navy Pier. Architecture is amazing if you're into that. It's cool just to walkaround. Job market is generally pretty good, especially for tech stuff, although everything is pretty down now. Chicago is sorta like the silicon valley of the midwest in a way. It's a great place in general.

Now the bad stuff. Crime is OUTTA CONTROL, especially in the city. There are places even the cops won't go on the south side. If you're a gun owner, you might want to think twice. Chicago is pretty much a 2nd amendment free zone and has one of the highest rates of crime in the nation (when you ban guns, only criminals will have them, which emboldens them). There were more murder deaths in Chicago than there were troops killed in all of Iraq last summer. Surrounding counties are not the least bit gun owner friendly either. Taxes are high, particularly in the city. Yeah public transportation is not too bad. I've never used it, but if you're commuting just know that Chicago is one of the WORST areas of the country as far as traffic congestion. It's probably not as bad as SoCal, but not too far off. The other year when rankings came out, it was pretty bad. Illinois is also one of the most corrupt states in the nation.

But I love the midwest. The air is cleaner, the people are nicer, you look up and see the sky and broad horizons, and it's not so cluttered like it is in the coastal states. So there are a lot of good things, but also bad.

Oh, since you're Asian, Chinatown south of the city (but not in the "bad" areas yet) is OK, but nothing compared to SF, SoCal, and even the east coast. If that's something of interest to you, don't get your hopes up.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #7

There's also the place up North where mostly the Vietmanese hang out. All in all, pretty ethnic city.

I agree that crime is an issue, but I think just being smart and playing it safe should keep you alive and well. But I can assure you that you probably don't want to be more south than 47th Street ANYWHERE in the city.
d1blet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #8
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1blet View Post
There's also the place up North where mostly the Vietmanese hang out. All in all, pretty ethnic city.
Yup, Argyle =]
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #9
MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES

it's not just cold, it's also hot during the summer time.

freakin' humid and hot.

but its a great state.
aV6Pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
I just moved here from Atlanta this year after living in Ga for the 25 years of my life. Right now im fine with the weather. The key is that you wear the right clothes. My problem right now is trying to get a job and make some money!!!!
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in