would vermont speeding ticket effect my insurance in mass? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > REGIONAL CHAPTERS > MASSACHUSETTS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:44 AM   #1
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

Send a message via AIM to DaBenz7898 Send a message via MSN to DaBenz7898
would vermont speeding ticket effect my insurance in mass?

coming back from montreal, i got pulled over for speeding in vermont on i-89 (south). the trooper said i was doing 90mph about 5 miles back. he then gives me a ticket for 85 in a 65mph zone. will this effect my insurance in massachusetts? i'm gonna contest the ticket because i don't wanna pay the $$$$, obviously anyways, i did find a few irregularities that may work to my advantage, but i'd like to get people's opinion.....

on the ticket itself, there is no indication that the speed i am accused of was determied by radar or pacing, etc. the trooper wrote 85, even though he told me i was doing 90mph (actually, i was doing over 100 at times ). he kept asking me if i knew how fast i was going, and i kept replying i wasn't sure. i guess he was trying to make me confess. also, he said he saw my 5 miles back. why would he let me go for 5 miles before pulling me over?? btw, when he pulled me over i was only going about 70, and was behind another car in the right lane (so i wasn't speeding at the time). that's another factor, how could he determine if my car was the actual speeding car since there were other cars around me traveling around the same speeds and there are no lights on that part of the highway. also, the trooper asked me on more than one occasion my current address, cause my license has my previous address (the new one is on the back). after all that, he still puts my old address as my current mailing address. btw, my registration does have my correct address. finally, the trooper did not sign the ticket. the place where it says "signature" is left blank. i ended up getting a $159 and 2 points ticket.

after that i cruise controled it all the way back to massachusetts at 70 mph all the cars i had passed in the last hour had caught up and passed me.....lol

so, if i do end up paying, will it effect my insurance in massachusetts? in mass, we have no license points, but insurance does have a point system from which they determine rates.

.....sorry for the long post.....i had to vent a bit and get people's opinion
DaBenz7898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2

He saw your MA plates. In NH the Staties hate the MA "Flatlanders", ever notice how the Troopers are parked just at the border? Contact the MA or VT DMV to see whether there is a reciprocity agreement between the two states. If there is then it will affect your insurance rate (points).
2001 Pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM   #3
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 Pitboss
Contact the MA or VT DMV to see whether there is a reciprocity agreement between the two states.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:51 PM   #4
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
NEVER PLEAD GUILTY!!! EVER! i did once and it was the worst thing i ever did and got stuck with an 83 in a 65 on the mass pike when i lived in CT. sucked. i got another ticket in NY when i lived there for 60 in a 45 and pleaded not guilty. it took over a year to get a court date (a year of no increased insurance, i might add) and as soon as i got there the cop that pulled me over said "lets settle for a broken speedometer", i said good deal. it was a $70 non-moving violation, no points on licence, no insurance, nothing... just $70.

also, good call on not admitting that you were speeding, never do that. if y ou get pulled over, just say you had y our cruise set 5 mph below what he says you were going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #5
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

well, i sent in my ticket requesting a court date. we'll see what happens. in the man time i'll check w/my insurance company on the point status.
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #6

"on the ticket itself, there is no indication that the speed i am accused of was determied by radar or pacing, etc."

The ticket itself is nothing more than a notice to appear. I am sure that info will be in the cop's report, testimony.... however they do it.

"the trooper wrote 85, even though he told me i was doing 90mph (actually, i was doing over 100 at times )."

He gave you a break.

"he kept asking me if i knew how fast i was going, and i kept replying i wasn't sure. i guess he was trying to make me confess."

Exactly, nothing wrong with that.

"also, he said he saw my 5 miles back. why would he let me go for 5 miles before pulling me over??"

Maybe he had something else to take care of. As far as I know, there is no "statute of limitation" on things like that. Technically they could've cited you anywhere in the state.

"that's another factor, how could he determine if my car was the actual speeding car since there were other cars around me traveling around the same speeds and there are no lights on that part of the highway."

Well, it's kinda like saying "How could I be the killer when there were another 600 people on that block?"
Cop accused you of something, prove in court that you did not do it.

"finally, the trooper did not sign the ticket. the place where it says "signature" is left blank."

This you may be able to use against him. Claim trooper's incompetence or something like that.

"so, if i do end up paying, will it effect my insurance in massachusetts?"

Check whether Mass has reciprocity with Vermont.
herzzreh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #7
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh
"on the ticket itself, there is no indication that the speed i am accused of was determied by radar or pacing, etc."

The ticket itself is nothing more than a notice to appear. I am sure that info will be in the cop's report, testimony.... however they do it.
didn't know that.......on MA tickets, there is a checkbox next to the speed that shows how the speed was determined (radar, pacing, etc.)
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBenz7898
didn't know that.......on MA tickets, there is a checkbox next to the speed that shows how the speed was determined (radar, pacing, etc.)
On NJ tickets too, but not on NY tickets.
herzzreh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in