Zoom Zoom Zoom 6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > MAZDA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #1

Zoom Zoom Zoom 6

what do u guys think about the mazda 6 in terms of power?

I have driven one before. well test drive..
I heard that it's a ford engine with 220hp. So this is what I was thinking
american engine --> good low end torque
+ 220 hp --------------> good high end power
------------------------------------------------------------
A powerful car

However, when i drove it, it's not that powerful.
The low end is just like my 200hp accord, just that it doesn't have the VTEC boost at 2500 rpm.
After I got up to 2500 rpm, the mazda gives me less power all over the rpm range. I don't know how it can have 220 hp at any rpm.

However, the handling should be really good. I was driving with a female dealer beside me, so I didn't spin the car around. However, in some turns, the car feel really stable.
(My accord has CLS sway and it feel pretty much the same at that kind of turns)
Too bad i didn't spin it around. I heard that the mazda 6 handles liek the new 2003 accord. I wonder if it's true.
Icen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #2
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Not to start anything but I have heard (rumor) that the Mazda 6s engine was overrated.

Still the car handles great and is a nice car both inside and out. It's just missing some (a little bit) power. Sounds like the TSX. Still nothing wrong with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

It was rated a bit screwy...

220 hp is more like 210hp =
192 tq is more like 202tq =

Of the two, the torque is much more important, so it's actually better the way it is in reality than how it was rated on paper.

As for the low-end, there is a nasty dip in the torque curve below 2700 rpm because of a tumbler valve that opens in the intake manifold which creates turbulence and increases combustion efficiency at lower revs. At the cost of low-end torque. Sorta like on the J30A1 with its VTEC-E. Above that the torque curve is flat from 2700 rpm all the way up top. You really do need the manual tranny to fully enjoy the car and engine, though. The automatic is not any quicker than a 6th Gen AV6.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Thanks for that clearing up Stevtec.

A Mazda 6s, as fast as us (6th gen owners) in the straights. In the curves our 6th gen's (stock) are owned .

Old September 26th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #5

the v6 is NOT a ford engine.. it's a duratec engine... and a lot of people say a lot of **** about everyone's engine just because they're biased...

mazda's don't have VTEC so you're not going to get your VTEC boost... that's a honda/acura thing... even toyota calles it something different... now if what you're looking for is variable timing it doesn't really have a specific place where it kicks in like honda does... but i can't get mine to kick in around 4000 RPMs... usually it will kick in later... depends on how i'm driving... even my 99 prelude VTEC didn't kick in til about 5000 RPMs...

when a manufacturer states horsepower it's the engine itself... the horsepower to the wheels will always differ from EVERY manufacturer... the thing to look for is if it's off more than others... if you want to check out more topics on the dynos, you can see what we've talked about at the mazda6 board http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/board.php?FID=46

handling... can be improved... eibach has a kit out.. i think koni and tein are in R&D... duratec had headers and is working on a full cat-back, turb and intake... i think AEM might've or is coming out with something soon...

this board is a majority of hondas... so you're not likely to find much on technical info about a mazda...
A10ZA03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #6

Ford does make Duratec engines. I don't have a lot of time to research this now but here is an article I found.

FORD REVEALS NEW DURATECH V6
LIMA, Ohio, July 15, 2003 ó Ford Motor Company announced it is investing $335 million in its Lima (Ohio) Engine Plant to build an all-new, modern fuel-efficient 3.5-liter V-6 engine. The sophisticated, all-aluminum dual-overhead-cam (DOHC) 24-valve Duratec 35 V-6 engine will power a variety of future Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, including passenger cars and crossover vehicles. Annual production capacity is projected to be up to 325,000 engines a year. Production of the new engine will begin at the Lima plant by the end of 2005.
"This new V-6 will be cutting edge, truly world-class," said Dave Szczupak, vice president, Powertrain Operations, Ford Motor Company. "Our engineers started with a clean sheet of paper to develop this new engine. It will power a variety of vehicles and includes advanced technologies such as variable-valve timing, a feature we are adding to a significant number of all our engines."
A feature favored by many environmentalists, variable-valve timing helps to reduce emissions, improve fuel efficiency as well as idle smoothness, while at the same time maximizing performance. The variable-valve mechanism works by precisely controlling the engineís camshaft position at any given millisecond based on engine speed and load. The investment at the Lima Engine Plant continues Fordís move to a new cost-effective and quality-enhancing global flexible manufacturing system to build powertrains. At Lima, Ford will install a new engine assembly line, a new cylinder-block machining line, a new cylinder-head machining line as well as a new crankshaft line.
EX V6 Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #7

okie apparantly i got it wrong.. i thought ford bought the duratec engines and stuck it in there... and mazda tuned it... but here's the complete thread on it.. including posts from our duratec sponser himself on page 2...

http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/rea...ID=5154&page=1
A10ZA03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Mazda_Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Gremlyn
Actually A10ZA03 you're not entirely wrong, but not entirely right. The Duratec BLOCK is manufactured by Ford, they use it in a lot fo their cars, famously the SHO Contour for instance. However, in the mazda6, the only think that is Ford about the engine is just about the block, everything else either mazda tweaked or entirely designed by them.
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #9
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
Ford duratec v6's are in conturs, tarus's, cougars, and the escape to name a few, in 2.5 and 3.0 sizes.

The 3.0 in the mazda is based on the tarus 3.0, but with variable cam timing and different internal specs.
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #10

Actually...i can feel the power above 2500rpms in my 6...it freakin takes off when i hit that part in the rpm range, and i have the auto too. Trust me, the auto isn't all that bad, as A10ZA03 can attest to. I can beat PLENTY of cars on the street....but i haven't raced either a 6th or 7th gen V6 Accord yet. Yep, and the aftermarket is picking up on the 6 too...the Injen and AEM intakes are gonna be out next month and a whole bunch of stuff is gonna be shown at SEMA.

MODs:
EUROLITE blue door lights
Injen CAI
Nokya hyperwhite H1's-lowbeams
Chromax purple 194 parking llights-changing to hyperwhites soon
CSX Viento JDM Air freshner (shower cologne)
Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic engine oil w/Purolator filter
Eibach Pro Kit springs
no mods for a while..

Import_DeSi_trendz-Southern Cali Chapter
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:24 PM   #11

wow.. u felt power above 2500?
when i drove it, iot felt power above 3000 only..
rpm below 3000 is powerless

then after 3500, it feels like ****.. since i didn't feel the vtec kicking in..

errr...
i was expecting soo much from that engine.. well.. sort of..
Icen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:37 PM   #12
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
According to our faithfull facts man SteVTEC, the 3.0 in the mazda6 has butterfly valves in the intake that improve emissions but absolutley KILL the torque curve below 2500rpm, and after that it picks back up and stays pretty flat. Sounds to me CaliAtenza has an exellent butt dyno!
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM   #13
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
i drove the v6 auto and it just sucked, no fancy explanation needed.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:03 PM   #14

Maybe I'm just used to an old, crappy V6, but when I TDed the 6s auto, it was quite impressive. Its all relative what you're used to. come down from a V8 manual, or even auto, or some super nice German engineered V6 with CVT or manual tranny and it just won't compare. But stepping up from the V6 rodeo, the 6s auto is a dream. Not that I will get it, manual all the way for me. I don't really know what more you all expect from a sub-25K sports sedan...
Mazda_Gremlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #15
Sleeper

Send a message via AIM to alumar
Here is a Mazda 6 Dyno:

165hp
158tq

with slight modifications

182hp
172tq

Pulled from this site:

http://www.msdsinc.com/new_mazda6chart.htm

alumar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #16

I see those as decent numbers, the BMW 325i puts out a rated 184 hp on a 2.5L inline 6, which is 73.6 hp per liter, and the mazda 6's engine puts out a rated 220 hp on a 3.0L v6, which is 73.3 hp per liter. I don't hear complaints about the Bimmer, so why should there be any about the 6?
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #17
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn on October 7th, 2003 at 02:56 AM

I see those as decent numbers, the BMW 325i puts out a rated 184 hp on a 2.5L inline 6, which is 73.6 hp per liter, and the mazda 6's engine puts out a rated 220 hp on a 3.0L v6, which is 73.3 hp per liter. I don't hear complaints about the Bimmer, so why should there be any about the 6?
Cause the 325i is RWD so that makes a difference as well. If the Mazda 6s was RWD then that would be a different story .

Old October 7th, 2003, 01:15 AM   #18

I don't think it makes THAT much difference in terms of power felt. If you were to pick between the two for a dragster choice, then the RWD would be best, but for daily driving, there is very little noticeable difference (driven both cars auto, though admittedly not for an extended period of time).
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via AIM to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via Yahoo to ZE Power MX6
From what I read, the M6 engine is not a Ford engine, its actually a Mazda engine, BUT they did use the Ford heads and one other parts from Ford that I don't remember... the rest are Mazda's parts.

I believe what A10ZA03 saying about something kicks in at 4k, is the VRIS (Variable Resonance Induction System), in the MX-6 that's what it is, I don't know if they still keep that system in the M6. Yea the auto kill the performance, as usual And for 220HP, that's just the U.S Spec, not the best model, I wonder if we can get the 276HP turbo charged w/6-Spd AWD Euro version into the state

Zoom-Zoom
ZE Power MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #20
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Send a message via AIM to r.j-lo
Is it worth it to go from a 6g v6 to a Mazda 6s?
r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by ZE Power MX6
And for 220HP, that's just the U.S Spec, not the best model, I wonder if we can get the 276HP turbo charged w/6-Spd AWD Euro version into the state
I believe what you are reffering to is the MPS Mazda6, which hasn't been released anywhere as of yet, but scheduled for 2005 i believe. The US currently has the only 6 with 6 cylinders and/or over 200 hp. In japan, Europe, etc. the best they have is the I-4 engine.
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via AIM to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via Yahoo to ZE Power MX6
Yea, the MPS Mazda6, and yes they haven't been release yet, but I heard that they won't release it in the U.S due to emission issue. I didn't know we are they only one has the V6 model, first time we have the good stuff haha, guess we learn something new everyday

Zoom-Zoom
ZE Power MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #23

As far as te US release is concerned, I think Mazda is up in the air still, but leaning towards no current release projected for us Would be nice though!
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #24

My thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by Icen
what do u guys think about the mazda 6 in terms of power?

However, when i drove it, it's not that powerful.
The low end is just like my 200hp accord, just that it doesn't have the VTEC boost at 2500 rpm.
After I got up to 2500 rpm, the mazda gives me less power all over the rpm range. I don't know how it can have 220 hp at any rpm.

However, the handling should be really good. I was driving with a female dealer beside me, so I didn't spin the car around. However, in some turns, the car feel really stable.
(My accord has CLS sway and it feel pretty much the same at that kind of turns)
Too bad i didn't spin it around. I heard that the mazda 6 handles liek the new 2003 accord. I wonder if it's true.

IMO, having looked at the M6, driven both and raced both, it was not for me. My thoughts were:

Style...love it. Little plain inside, but with leather, which is what I wanted, it was nice. Mazda did a good job here.

Tranny.....gotta have the manual. The auto sucks for a sports car. Just like our MPV, it shifts outta first way early unless you hold in in manually and even if memory serves, it shifts at redline on it's own like the TL Type S did.

Power. No comparison to the Gen 7 Accord V6. I've run both, my buddy who sells mazda ran me with a manual and while he kept up better, I still pulled on him from the top of my first gear. Auto's...I've blown a guy that works with me away on many drives into work. He fades from right from my ride hitting 4000rpms and never comes close.

Handling....sweat...I love the Mazda there, but for me....I like my Honda with it's new tires and rims. Better blend of peformance and ride. AGain, that's my liking.

Value. Mazda is less in costs, but not much if any and as a rental car vehicle choice....not for me. If you can rent it, I won't own it. Just me.

Warranty/Reliability....love the 4/50 warranty. That's one of the reasons we chose the MPV vs Honday Oddy. for a family van. Not sure of how reliability compares to a Honda but IMO, Honda may have a longevity / historical edge, but I'm not at all concerned about Mazda's track record.
Old November 5th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #25

The only rentals i've heard of werte 4-bangers, and thats because Mazda had some many extras because the V6 sold like wildfire here and the I4 didn't. And you're right, the Mazda is cheaper, has less power than the beefier new 7th gen Accord, but not everyone is a straight-line racer (as you mentioned pdq), many people love driving through the twisties, and you put the Accord against the 6 in a test on those roads, the 6 driver will laughing as he/she watches you slam into the guard-rails in the rear view mirror. Its all preference. Plus the 6 is better looking IMHO.
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn
The only rentals i've heard of werte 4-bangers, and thats because Mazda had some many extras because the V6 sold like wildfire here and the I4 didn't. And you're right, the Mazda is cheaper, has less power than the beefier new 7th gen Accord, but not everyone is a straight-line racer (as you mentioned pdq), many people love driving through the twisties, and you put the Accord against the 6 in a test on those roads, the 6 driver will laughing as he/she watches you slam into the guard-rails in the rear view mirror. Its all preference. Plus the 6 is better looking IMHO.
Through the close of Sept. Mazda has only sold 44,966 in the US. Hardly selling like wildfire. Now given the lower number of V6's prolly made, in respect this model, yes....they sold like crazy.

Now the Accord at 314,598 and the Camery at 320,678....on track and selling like crazy.

But you're right, it's all a matter of what one wants.
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #27

Well, for a mazda car, thats wildfire, nothing will ever be able to compare to the camry and accord sales in its first year especially.
Old December 1st, 2003, 04:08 PM   #28

I have a 2003 Mazda 6, and personally there not all that great of a car, I think they are not all that fast. Personally I like Pontiacs better since my old one was a 12 second car. But I guess I can fix this one up. But the Mazda still looks good. My dad had a 1972 Mazda RX2 that was a 6-7 second car, so that just comes to show that they can be made fast, which is what I plan to do after I deck it out.
jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by jasmine
I have a 2003 Mazda 6, and personally there not all that great of a car, I think they are not all that fast. Personally I like Pontiacs better since my old one was a 12 second car. But I guess I can fix this one up. But the Mazda still looks good. My dad had a 1972 Mazda RX2 that was a 6-7 second car, so that just comes to show that they can be made fast, which is what I plan to do after I deck it out.
"if there not all that great of a car", then why did u buy it? Not to be a d--k or anything, were u just looking for speed?

MODs:
EUROLITE blue door lights
Injen CAI
Nokya hyperwhite H1's-lowbeams
Chromax purple 194 parking llights-changing to hyperwhites soon
CSX Viento JDM Air freshner (shower cologne)
Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic engine oil w/Purolator filter
Eibach Pro Kit springs
no mods for a while..

Import_DeSi_trendz-Southern Cali Chapter
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:35 PM   #30

I agree, didn't you test drive it before you bought it? No one forced you to buy a Mazda6, there must have been soething you liked. else you're not too bright, no offense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in