Any reliability issues on the 6? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > MAZDA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Any reliability issues on the 6?

My friend's sister just got one. It's an I4 auto. Any recalls she should be aware of. I believe it's an 04. If you got links to other message board FAQs let me know. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #2
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

The Mazda 6 is right up there with the Camry and even better than the Accord when it comes to reliability. Check out SteVTEC's thread about it here

Also, check out www.mazda6club.com . It's a good forum and the best there is for the 6
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

It's rated well above the accord and just below the camry for the 2nd year in a row now.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4

Your friends sister should also check the long term test in Junes Car and Driver. Two thumbs up !
I shopped the 6 seriously before deciding on the accord (mainly wanted the 5 speed manual). Nice ride ! IMHO tho, the interior materials / fit (and several other build quality related features) do not compare favorably with the accord, in my judgement.
V6Sedan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #5

Doom, not sure that there are any recalls out there for the 04's. We had 2 of them on the 2003's. One regarding the brake resovoir and the other the fuel tank. We also had a special service bulitin for the door sash stain issue. None of which would effect an 04 model. If it was just bought off the lot, dealers are obligated by law to handle the recall before they sell you the car.
Blue Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by V6Sedan04
Your friends sister should also check the long term test in Junes Car and Driver. Two thumbs up !
I shopped the 6 seriously before deciding on the accord (mainly wanted the 5 speed manual). Nice ride ! IMHO tho, the interior materials / fit (and several other build quality related features) do not compare favorably with the accord, in my judgement.
I disagree. I think Honda and Toyota do a good job with interiors and are a step ahead of Mazda in some regards, but not by much. In terms of fit and finish and quality, we own 3 6s (two 6s models and one 6i) in my family (all 2003's) and one Accord (LX Coupe) and the Accord had more initial quality issues (3) than ALL 3 of the 6's (2) put together. Build quality wise, and as is reinforced in the C&D article you referenced which is a 40k mile test, has been excellent and actually if you read JD Power's studies, the 6 has fared BETTER in that department than the Accord has. Edmunds did a long term test and it was as positive as the C&D test. Time will obviously tell, but I can't see where you are preceiving that Mazda is sub par in terms of build quality when it is faring so well. Guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #7

Rep is always a factor when discussing a car. Little by little the Accord quality has been slipping since the good old days of the 4th and 5th gen. In the past years I've seen many repeat Accord buyers complain so much about the 6th and 7th such as rattling noise (still not fixed), tranny issues (supposedly fixed), EGR (recall), and various other issues. Honda is a business. They're slacking on quality to make more money since they're name still makes them money. It took them years to build their rep and it'll take time to lose it. I'm really not surprised that the new Accord didn't fare as well as a 6 because I knew Honda quality is decreasing.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #8
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

It's sad to see Honda's quality slipping while the competition is getting better and better. I never really heard people complain about Honda reliability until the 6th gen Accord came out
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #9

I had a rental 04 Accord LX I4 auto rental a few weekends ago. Yeah the guages light up nice, but other than that I didn't think the interior was anything truly special. I've sat in the 6 a few times and thought it was equally nice. And on another weekend I had an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1 and even that car's interior was just as nice as the Accord's. And that's not dissing the Accord either. Given the GP is a GM car, that really says a lot about how far GM has come too!

$0.02
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #10
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Yea, the new Grand Prix is a huge improvement over the previous generation in interior fit and finish. The dashboard, climate controls and stereo no longer look as if they were made by Fisher Price, a complaint I've had about GM interiors for years now.

As for the 7th gen Accord, I sat in an LX sedan and wasn't very impressed with the appearance of the interior, but when I sat in an EX V6 with black leather, I fell in love. The 7th gen's soft, glove-like leather is 10x nicer than my 6th gen's, which feels like hard plastic. The textures on the various panels were nice, much nicer than the 6th gen but still not up to the standards set by the VW Passat. The Passat has a beautiful interior that is only marred by below-average leather quality and a few flimsy trim pieces.

I haven't test-driven or even sat in a new 6 yet, but I really want to. From what I've seen, the 6 interior seems to be along the lines of the Passat when it comes to the textures of the dash and door panels. It even has a European look to it. Very stylish. I bet it looks much better in person and I can't wait to find out
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #11

Nothing at all against the Hondas at all. I think more than Honda's quality slipping, everyone else has just gotten that much better. Even Hyundai is rasing its collective bar. The Ford Focus was rated the best small car by Consumer Reports. That never would have happened before. Honda and Toyota benefit from a huge amount of brand loyalty because they have been more reliabile than the competition and do kind of work off of past accolades. Every car has its problems, just that the likes of Mazda are doing a better job of putting vehicles together. This started with the Protege and has worked its way through all of the new Mazda models. Ford is also learning from Mazda how to make better constructed cars by making them easier to build. That is something that have incorporated on the Focus in its quality bump and will use on the new 2005 Mustang to be produced at the same plant as the Mazda 6. Can't let the past influence what is the here and now. If you want to think Honda is so much of a better built car because it was back in 1992, than that is your perogative. I think many of the domestics and other Japaneese makers might surprise you, especially Mazda.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #12

TH23, the 6 iterior is kind of in a class by itself. It is kind of a sporty look and feel, which fits the car that it is in. The 6 is not like the Passat at all. The Passat has a solid feel which the 6 has to some extent but not quite as much. However, if you want to speak about diminishing quality, look at VW. The Passat is a perfectly engineered piece of crap. The more recent builds of the Passat can be found on dealer lots with HOSTS of small problems which in the end are why the ex owner likely got rid of the car in the first place and likely bought a Toyota. I hear tons of people complaining about that "Solid German Engineered" Jetta or Passat falling apart at 30k miles or so.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #13
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

True, VW has awful reliability, but they sure know how to make beautiful, high-quality interiors. Most car companies could learn a thing or two from them about how to design rich-looking plastics.

Anyway, their poor reliability makes me glad that I didn't buy a Jetta instead of my Accord. Having two Passats at my disposal, I've learned all about the horrible interior rattles and electrical glitches typical of VW. Every time I visit the dealership, there's usually a dozen or so people waiting while their cars are getting warranty work done. Luckily, our Passat GLX V6 has been very good to us (knock on wood really fast) and has had no rattles or electrical problems after 4 years of ownership. Well, there was one problem but it was caused by a broken dome light switch that caused a short in the electrical system. After a new switch and a new fuse, it's been just fine. The other Passat, a 1.8T and also a 2000 model, has nearly 60k miles on it and not required a single unscheduled stop to the dealership. Like I said, we've been lucky with our VWs
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #14

They look good but they fall apart.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #15

Thus the Consumer Reports report how Euro quality is below American quality.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #16

Yah, it is getting bad over there. They don't seem to be doing a great job with quality control. With the expensive German labor forces over there building these cars I am sure they need to cut corners to produce a product that is competitive in the US markets. I can't tell you how many times I have heard VW horror stories.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #17

Accord's quality has gone downhill ever since americans started assembling them...Just as VW's quality has gone WAY down ever since the mexicans started assembling them. (sans passat)
mr2guru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #18
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by mr2guru on May 26th, 2004 at 11:39 PM

Accord's quality has gone downhill ever since americans started assembling them...Just as VW's quality has gone WAY down ever since the mexicans started assembling them. (sans passat)
Well if that was true then the 6th gen AV6's Japanese built automatic transmission wouldn't be a POS . It doesn't always matter on where the product is built, it matters more on quality control .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by mr2guru

Accords have been built in the US for well over a decade now and probably closer to two. Same thing with the Camry. Quality and reliability do not necessarily trace to where the thing was built, or who built it. People are way too quickly to simply blame American labor when that might not even have anything to do with it. Americans are perfectly capable of building quality cars. But if the DESIGN of what they're building is junk and it was DESIGNED by somebody in Japan, people still blame the Americans who assembled it.

Just look at the Mazda6, which is what this thread is about. It's at the top of the reliability rankings according to CU right now for the mid-sized segment and it's built right here in the good ol US of A by Americans.

And yes, along the lines of what Plummy stated, the only real problem on the 6th generation Accord V6s are the pile of garbage transmissions which for the most part were built in JAPAN. Other than that they really would be extremely dependable and trouble free cars.
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #20

Having owned about 14-16 cars of both american and japanese brand and having both american and japanese ASSEMBLED japanese brand cars. By FAR the fit and finish of the japanese assembled cars were better. Less rattles, squeaks, and annoying little problems. Things like faulty transmissions or other hard parts are a design fault and not an assembly fault.

If you want to see crappy assembling of cars take look at any '99+ VW's that were assembled in mexico. Talk about issues, just cruise VWvortex on that.

For the most part you will find a better ASSEMBLED car from japan than from the US or Mexico. Not nessecarliy a better designed car.
mr2guru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #21

The only way to really compare that fairly is if you have the SAME car and SAME design, but with one just assembled in location A vs location B. 5th generation Accords were built both in the US and Japan and there wasn't any overall difference in quality between them. There were actually studies done on this.

Were squeaks and rattles due to poor assembly, or due to poor design and clearance tolerances?

My Accord was built in the US and it was a rattle trap. Was it due to American assembly or a poor design? Dunno...there's no Japanese built equivalent to compare it to. My old Camry was built in the US also and it was rattle free at 200k miles. My Maxima is pretty good in the rattle and fit/finish department at 90k miles and it was built in Japan? Was it due to "superior" Japanese workmanship? Dunno...there's no US built model to compare it to fairly. Our Highlander is flawless and it's also built in Japan? Is it due to "superior" Japanese workmanship? Don't know on that one either...no American built equivalent to compare it to. Also in the family are 98, 00 and an 85 Camry, all of which were built in the US and all of which are rattle free and have all had excellent fit and finish. Our 1984 Pontiac 6000 on the other hand was a POS.

Overall I'd have to say that the Japanese built vehicles I've had have been better in overall quality than the US built ones. But without an equivalent US model to compare to I can't say that the manufacturing location or WHO built it is responsible for that. Design or manufacturing or both? Which was it? I don't know so I can't truly make that claim.

I know VW makes pretty much the same Jettas and Passats all over the world, so that's easy to point the finger at manufacturing in that case. Yes, I've heard that Mexican built Jettas are horrible and an auto trade magazine even did a report on that comparing overall quality between manufacturing sites.
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #22
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on May 27th, 2004 at 03:20 AM

The only way to really compare that fairly is if you have the SAME car and SAME design, but with one just assembled in location A vs location B. 5th generation Accords were built both in the US and Japan and there wasn't any overall difference in quality between them. There were actually studies done on this.
This shows that it's based more on quality control than where it is actually built/assembled.

I wonder if they did a study on the 7th gen Accord sedan. It's built in many places around the world and three Honda manufacturing plants build them for the United States. One is in Ohio, one in Japan and one in Mexico.

Old May 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #23
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
It's actually based on quality control and also the standard that upper management places on the production lines. That's why you have Toyota Camry's built in the US that are rattle free while the Ford Taurus is a piece of crap. Same deal w/ GM cars.

However, for whatever reason, the Buick Regal/Centruy get's higher quality rankings. Why? Simply because that age group tends not to worry about little problems. Age 40+. So the survey's on Buick being better quality are suspect. On the other hand, our age-group are the super sensitive ones who hear every creak, rattle, and roll of the car. so there are more reports for the Accord, Camry, Maxima, Taurus, Malibu, etc...

The Mazada 6's and 3's were tested over in Europe because the wanted that Euro tuned ride and comfort. I'd say they did a great job. How's the fit and finish? According to CR, its pretty damn good, and they are usually sticklers for Fit and Finish. That all spells DANGER to Honda. So they better get their production lines back in order, or else Mazda is going to steal their sales.

To tell you the truth, I LOVE the Mazda 6 styling much better than the 7th gen Accord Sedan. I think Honda screwed the pooch on the 7th Gen sedan design. Even the 6th gen looks better. And you get a Camry SE that's also looking better than the 7th gen. AND now has the nice suspension setup to compete with the Accord.

Just my .02

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #24

The part I found funny is over on Edmunds.com they did a long term road test of the 6s and the Accord EX Sedan (4cyl), and more things went wrong with the Accord in 17-18k miles than did the 6. They complained about rattles in the Accord's doors, but did not have a problem with the 6. They had $1600 of body work on the list of problems with the Accord which I am not sure what it was for, and they had to replace the brakes under warranty on the Accord. The 6 only had to have routine schedule maintainance and one recall done.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #25
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Mazda on May 28th, 2004 at 03:26 PM

The part I found funny is over on Edmunds.com they did a long term road test of the 6s and the Accord EX Sedan (4cyl), and more things went wrong with the Accord in 17-18k miles than did the 6. They complained about rattles in the Accord's doors, but did not have a problem with the 6. They had $1600 of body work on the list of problems with the Accord which I am not sure what it was for, and they had to replace the brakes under warranty on the Accord. The 6 only had to have routine schedule maintainance and one recall done.
Link? I can't seem to find this on there site.

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #26

On the frontpage of Edmunds.com right now is the long term wrap-up for the 2003 Accord EX sedan. You can probably dig around and find the long-term wrap-up for the 6 also.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on May 28th, 2004 at 05:43 PM

On the frontpage of Edmunds.com right now is the long term wrap-up for the 2003 Accord EX sedan. You can probably dig around and find the long-term wrap-up for the 6 also.
Oh this one: http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/hon....roadtests.2.*

I thought they did a specific head to head comparison of those two cars.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Mazda on May 28th, 2004 at 03:26 PM

They had $1600 of body work on the list of problems with the Accord which I am not sure what it was for
I can't figure it out either .

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #28

somebody probably just hit the car.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #29

My friend had a college course where they had to make a presentation. One guy in his class made a presentation about his 6 and how many problems he had with it. He brought service reports, recall notices, and other data. I was surprised when my friend told me.

His cousin just bought a 6i (4cyl sedan I believe). Her brother will let me know what problems there are. We'll have a V6P write up on the I4 brother soon.

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #30

The early early models did have a number of TSB issues. Motor mounts on the V6 were allowing too much play and causing a hose to come loose and trigger a CEL. I think there was something else with another hose also. And the door mildew (not rust) issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in