would you get a mazda3? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > MAZDA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #1
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

Send a message via AIM to lowincash Send a message via MSN to lowincash
would you get a mazda3?

at first i was set on getting a 07 gti 4door but well i don't think i'll be getting a gti anymore =/ insurance is so high for that car i think it was like 4g's a year since it's first time i'm going to be buying this new car myself i think i'll just go with something i can afford lol

i like the mazda3 hatch look and the fully loaded one is only around 22-24k. and that's with auto on/off xenon headlights, heated leather seats, moonroof, and a bunch of other stuffs. i can't find any other 4cyl cars that can offer what the mazda3 offers for the money. i test drove it once and low end actually felt pretty good and car felt light too bad i didn't get to drive it more =/ going from my maxima to the mazda3 i'll be giving up almost about 100hp/100tq o_O what do you guys think of this car?

basically this is what i want...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lowincash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #2
honda tech75

Send a message via AIM to juan gonzalez
i was never a fan of mazda only the rotory engines rx7 and rx8. they dont hold in resale value.
juan gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #3
hey! its beer o'clock!

Send a message via MSN to ryan s
if youre going to get a 3, get the mazdaspeed3. otherwise, nah...
ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #4
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

nah no mazdaspeed...1) i don't know how to drive stick 2) it doesn't have moonroof =/ plus having turbo car makes insurance high that's one reason i'm not getting the gti. i'm just sick of my maxima getting 16-17mpg all the time
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Champaned_out
sounds like it has alot of nice features but me personally, i would never drive it because i dislike the overall look of the car

are you only looking into 4cyl cars?
Champaned_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #6
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

yah i'm only looking for 4cyl cars right now...no more v6 for now lol i don't feel the need for a powerful car anymore...just as long as it's got decent power and good low end then i'm happy lol but the mazda3 sure has some good low end tho...it was nice. the mazda3 hatch looks different kinda got it's unique look different than all the other cars on the road haha
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7
hey! its beer o'clock!

Send a message via MSN to ryan s
tsx...?
ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #8
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
I am too looking at the Mazda3. For the money, it can't be beat. I wouldn't say pick up a new one either. Let someone else take the depreciation in the azs. Find one that is 1 or 2 years old, with under 36k miles. Because you are in So Cal like me, I know for a fact there are tons on Autotrader. Be sure you get the 2.3 and not the 2.0 motor. Steve told me that Ford makes the 2.0 and it's a pile of crap. The 2.3 still gets good MPG and is more well made.

And as for the rotory motors - BLEH!... the USDM rotory motors suck balls. 3 Rotory FTW.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #9

My girlfriend bought an 05 Mazda3 sedan used about a year ago with 5k miles on it for $14,800, so there are deals out there.

It really changed the game for the economy subcompact and blows the other cars she was looking at (Corolla, previous gen Civic, Sentra) out of the water. But it seems like you are looking more upmarket, where it might be a tougher sell. For $15k I thought it was a great deal, but for $22k I'd take a closer look at other options. Just a thought - a lot of dealers have huge markdowns on the Speed6, and on various Speed6 forums people have been getting them for around what you are looking to pay for the Mazda3.

It is definitely more fun to drive stock than my Accord, but fuel economy for the 2.3 is not that great (20mpg in the city on an automatic), and you really do need the manual to get decent power out of it, much like a 4 cyl Honda. Coming from a Maxima, the engine is not as smooth or powerful, the ride will be harsher, and the cabin is more noisy and has cheaper plastic. But it will handle much better and be able to carry more stuff in hatchback form.
marshaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Hatin' on me hatin' on me

Can always go for an xA or xB Kin
inspired1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #11
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

eww those are ugly haha i don't like scions

when i test drove the 07 mazda3 the ride felt smoother than my maxima (another reason i don't like my maxima is the rough ride and rattles ) i'll just have to change my style of driving to get use to the 4cyl. but i want a new car this time and mazda3 seems very good for the money. the maxima is kinda boring to drive, it's only fun flooring it from a stop but other than that i get so much body roll taking turns =/
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #12
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
my friend has one and they are quick!.. not sure what version does he have but.. he has lowered it with some kind exhaust and sound almost like a wrx.. loud as ****@..good sound not rattle can sound!
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #13
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

holy cow since when did we have a mazda section here? lol i think i've been goone too long
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Waterp7
the mazda 3 is a nice car... i would consider it for a commuter car if i had the money.. but i've been lookin at the fit...even tho it's slow as ballz..it is very versatile and 30+ mpg.. lol
Waterp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #15
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

The Mazda 3 is a nice little car. I was looking at the sedan before I got my AV6. I prefer the cleaner lines of the sedan to the more curvacious lines of the 5-door. I don't like the added thickness of the 5-doors body, especially in the hood and grille area. Ugh...

But anyway...

The amount of features you get for the money can't be beat. A 3s Grand Touring with automatic, NAV, BOSE audio, Sirius satellite radio, auto-dimming mirror, and moonroof is only about $25k.

The amount of standard features is pretty crazy for a car that starts at under $20k (3s GT with a manual transmission). You get standard HIDs with auto on/off, LED tail lights, perforated black leather seats, heated seats, steering wheel audio and cruise controls (illuminated), keyless entry, rain-sensing wipers, ABS with EBD, DSC + TCS, side curtain airbags, climate control, tire pressure monitor, 17's, factory bodykit, fog lights, trip computer...basically the main features it doesn't have are a power seat and heated mirrors.

My AV6 doesn't have many of those standard features (HIDs, tire pressure monitor, rain-sensing wipers, fog lights, and trip computer) and it stickers for thousands more. Half of those aren't even an option on the Accord, namely the HIDs, rain-sensing wipers, and the tire monitor. And to get a trip computer in the Accord you have to spend another $2k on Navi Sure the Accord has power seats, dual-zone climate control and heated mirrors standard, none of which are available on the Mazda. Still, that's not much considering the Accord is a $27k car and the Mazda 3s GT starts at under $20k.

My AV6 is much more powerful, but the short gearing of the 3's automatic make it feel plenty quick off the line. In fact, and I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but the 2.3 automatic is actually quicker off the line than a 6G AV6 and is almost as quick overall. So, for stop and go driving the 3 is actually better than a 6G AV6 and not far behind a 7G AV6 auto like mine.

Plus, the car handles great, though the ride is a little stiff for me.

All in all, it's a great little car for the money, but if I were you, I'd try to find a lightly used 06 or 07 with low mileage and save a few thousand right off the bat and avoid the initial depreciation of a new car. The resale value for most Mazda cars isn't all that great. In fact, that's the main reason I didn't get one even though I really liked the car. Resale value plays a big role in lease rates, so a fully loaded 3 was going to cost me more per month than an Accord EX-L V6 even though the Accord cost a few thousand more. I could've gotten a less-loaded 3 (no moonroof, BOSE, or NAV) for the same payment as my Accord, but the Accord had all the features I wanted (minus NAV, which I don't really need since I don't drive much) plus a sweet V6 with 88 more HP. Now, if I had wanted to buy instead of lease, I would've been all over a lightly-used Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #16
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

thanks for the info i was having trouble deciding with sedan or hatch haha but since i've had sedans before i wanted to try something different

have you driven the 3 before? i test drove it around the block a few times and felt great. the car felt very light and actually feels better than my maxima off the line. like it just feels light haha but i haven't tried taking it on fwy or anything like that...they didn't let me. TH23 have you driven that car on the fwy? i just want to know how well it is merging on to fwy and stuff. other than that i'm set on getting the grand touring model too with all the stuffs
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #17
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

oh yeah i don't want a used car anymore...since i'm going to buy it myself i want to get a new car this time
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #18
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowincash
thanks for the info i was having trouble deciding with sedan or hatch haha but since i've had sedans before i wanted to try something different

have you driven the 3 before? i test drove it around the block a few times and felt great. the car felt very light and actually feels better than my maxima off the line. like it just feels light haha but i haven't tried taking it on fwy or anything like that...they didn't let me. TH23 have you driven that car on the fwy? i just want to know how well it is merging on to fwy and stuff. other than that i'm set on getting the grand touring model too with all the stuffs
I took a 3s Touring automatic for a short, 15 minute test drive that was about 7-8 miles and included a few miles of highway driving. I was lucky to even get that much of a test drive. My local Mazda dealer was very hesitant to let me test-drive a car. I guess it's because I look younger than I am and they had trouble believing that I was about to turn 23. After arguing with the salesman for a while, they finally let me drive one Looking back, I'm kinda glad I didn't buy from that dealership. My Honda dealer gave me the keys to my AV6 and didn't ask, but TOLD ME to test drive the car

Anyways...

The Mazda felt pretty peppy. I don't know if it had over-sensitive throttle tip-in or what, but the car felt "jumpy" off the line. It would just take off without much throttle input. I remember it feeling much more responsive than my 6G AV6 in the low-end, which I still had at the time of the test drive. Hell, the 3s automatic may even be more responsive than my 7G AV6 from a stop, but I'd have to drive them back to back to tell a difference.

I did get to step on it to merge on the highway ONCE. I went around a tight on-ramp going about 40 mph (barely pushing it, the car could go much faster around that ramp) with the tranny in 2nd gear (manual mode) and then floored it at the bottom of the ramp. It accelerated from 40 to 80 in about the same time as my stock 6G AV6, which isn't half bad considering that it's a 4-banger with an automatic. The short gearing of the 5-speed automatic really helps. At 80 mph, I was close to topping out 3rd gear. In my AV6, I'm not anywhere close to topping out 3rd gear until about 95 (105 in my 6G AV6 ). The Mazda's gearing is much shorter.

In short, the 3's highway merging power is on par with a stock 6G AV6 but it's much more responsive in stop and go driving, thanks to really short gearing and decent torque for a 4-cylinder According to CarTest 2000, the 3s auto should run around a 16.4 at the track, which is a few tenths slower than a 6G AV6 (16.2).

The Mazda 3 may be slower overall, but the quicker off the line response makes up for it, IMO. My main beef with the 6G AV6 wasn't its overall acceleration (which I thought was quick enough), but its sluggish behavior off the line that made stop and go driving torture The 3 is much more fun to drive in town and to me that's more important than a few tenths in the quarter-mile.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #19
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

that's good to hear...the dealer i went to at actually told me to test drive it even tho i told him i'm not buying it yet...i just wanted to sit inside to take a look and get a feel for it but then he told me to take it for a short drive...only around a couple blocks or so tho maybe 1 mile =/ didn't let me take it to the fwy lol i even told the sales guy that i was suprise at the acceleration cuz it felt better than my maxima lol
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #20
V6P wandering idiot

Send a message via AIM to chrisnick Send a message via Skype™ to chrisnick
i say look into a Mazda 6! The price you're willing to pay is WELL within 6 territory, and they're ALOT of fun to drive, and come standard with the 2.3L engine.

I test drove a 3S 5-speed hatchaback a couple years ago before i bought my Miata, and i really liked it. It was alot of fun to drive, and the torque delivery was MUCH better than the RSX Type-S i had at the time, but it fell short once i revved it out. I was spoiled i guess haha. It shifted nicely, and although i would prefer to have a manual, i wouldn't mind the 5-speed automatics that are equipped in cars nowdays. I want to say the price on it was close to $17K(?) with hardly any options and was rather well equipped. I don't think options such as rain-sensitive wipers, automatic headlights, tire pressure monitor, and Traction Control are really necessary(especially in Southern California), all you have to do is flick your finger, look at your tires, pay attention to how you're driving, and pay attention to what's going on around you. Stop being so lazy, Kin. But really, all these "features and amenities" nowdays are making people lazy, worse drivers. Stick yourself in a bone-basics car with a 5-speed manual(it's really worth learning to drive), and you'll find yourself learning all sorts of things about your car you never knew before. Don't be intiminated by it, everything in a car is so extremely simple you'll be banging your head on the keyboard wondering why you were so hesitant to do it before. Learn to work on your car, learn it's limits and what makes things work right. Honestly, i believe breaking crap and pushing it past its limits is the only way you're going to figure it out. Screw a new car; find yourself a crappy, beat up, Toyota Corolla or Camry for $1500 and do everything yourself. It's alot more enjoyable and rewarding in the end.

If you're going to get a 3, don't option it out; you're paying $25K for a car that's not as good as Mazda's $25K car, the 6.

Btw, back in Toledo, they were GIVING away MazdaSpeed 6's; My friend bought one for $27K out-the-door. o_0

Last edited by chrisnick; March 10th, 2007 at 12:10 AM..
chrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #21
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

hahah nah man i like the look of the mazda3 5-door wagon/hatch lol plus the headlights look better than the 6 i need the hids but with that option it comes with the auto on/off i don't really care for the auto sensing wipers tho...it hardly rains here haha i guess i'm a lazy driver...that's why i'm sticking with the automatic
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #22
V6P wandering idiot

Send a message via AIM to chrisnick Send a message via Skype™ to chrisnick
lazyass

i'll just bug you when im in LA from now on.
chrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #23
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
RE the topic, not a chance in hell.

i would rather get a used better car for the same/less money
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #24
BULLPOO

^Such as?
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #25
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
the maz speed6 is a nice car! faster then the 7th gen accords for sure? just too bad they didn't have a coupe
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #26
constantly in pursuit

22-24k? bmw m coupe. if i needed a sedan... maybe an e39 540 6 speed? i dont think the m5's have come down in price that far. idk how much the tl's are now, but i'd take one of those over a mazda.

i guess i'm just not a big fan of buying cars new, taking the depriciation hit. i'd rather have a car with >20k miles on it and pay 1/2 the sticker.
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #27
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Chrisnick does make a good point about the Mazda 6 though. People seem to be able to haggle the price down a bit more on those. So you could probably get an almost-loaded 6s GT for the same price as a loaded 3s GT.

When I was shopping for cars, my local Mazda dealer had tons of 6's on the lot, but only a couple 3's: one i Touring and one s Grand Touring, both sedans. They didn't have a single 5-door on the lot.

The 3 seems to be more exclusive and harder to find than the 6, which hurts the buyer's ability to haggle on the price. A dealer will be much more willing to negotiate on a car that's sitting on the lot readily available than one that you have to special order.

To get a loaded black/black 3s GT, I would've had to order it and wait several weeks to get it. The dealer wasn't going to budge on the price, either.

At the time, Mazda was offering some killer rebates and lease deals on the leftover 2006 MazdaSpeed 6's. My local dealer had at least 6 of them sitting on the lot that I could see. I probably could've gotten one for the same monthly payment as my Accord, but the MS6 is a little too sporty for me. Plus, I wanted an automatic, so that ruled it out.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #28
BULLPOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer03
22-24k? bmw m coupe. if i needed a sedan... maybe an e39 540 6 speed? i dont think the m5's have come down in price that far. idk how much the tl's are now, but i'd take one of those over a mazda.

i guess i'm just not a big fan of buying cars new, taking the depriciation hit. i'd rather have a car with >20k miles on it and pay 1/2 the sticker.

I knew you'd say BMW. Kind of a loaded question I guess.

BMW < reliable.

I see what you are saying though. If I could do it over, I'd wouldn't have bought my STi new.
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #29
constantly in pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
I knew you'd say BMW. Kind of a loaded question I guess.

BMW < reliable.

I see what you are saying though. If I could do it over, I'd wouldn't have bought my STi new.
hahahah wait a minute... did you just call a ford product reliable?
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #30
BULLPOO

I'm calling the 2.3 motor which Mazda makes reliable, not the 2.0 motor which Ford makes.

I would never do such a thing btw, I'm a GM guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in