Does it snow in DC? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > REGIONAL CHAPTERS > MD - DC - VA - WV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #1
Premium User

Does it snow in DC?

Clue in a snowless southern californian....
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #2

yup
Spektor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #3
Premium User

that's really upsetting....

thanks though Aziz

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #4

why is that upsetting?
Spektor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #5
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
snows fun for a while, but after like 2 weeks of it it gets annoying...really annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #6
Premium User

because it's cold. People have to warm up their cars in the morning and scrape ice from windshields and deal with snow on the driveway and tire chains and salt on the roads and not being able to wear a tank top in January!

Not to mention I have no idea how to wear a scarf! I don't think I even own a scarf.

scary... very scary...

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #7

Denali I guess that your going to DC?
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #8
rectum damn near killed m

Send a message via AIM to oviphagy Send a message via Yahoo to oviphagy
i live here what ya need to know? first off if it snows stay home cuz these people cant drive for **** in the rain let alone snow and possibly ice. second is we get a little snow mostly its damn cold and stays that way. if it snowed more there would be an upside to all the cold but mainly its just cold and windy. anything else?
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #9

People cant drive here when its perfect outside. Snow makes everything stop, the first couple times its fun, but then u get sickof it. Not anything to look forward to at all. I guess enjoy so cal while ur still there.
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:02 AM   #10
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
I hate snow .. all the road salt ruins your car . bleeeh
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali
because it's cold. People have to warm up their cars in the morning and scrape ice from windshields and deal with snow on the driveway and tire chains and salt on the roads and not being able to wear a tank top in January!

Not to mention I have no idea how to wear a scarf! I don't think I even own a scarf.

scary... very scary...
i actually like it cold. it takes a little getting used to but when you are outside in the cold, the air just seems so clean and crisp.

what i do is i just go outside and turn on my car and turn on the heater full blast when i wake up. i then go and take a shower, brush my teeth, do my hair, get dressed, etc... i go outside and all the snow/ice is melted from the windows.

buy a scarf. they're like 10 bucks. if u can't buy one i'll buy one for you lol. oh and it's easy to wear a scarf. i'm sure u were joking about the "i have no idea how to wear a scarf".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy21
People cant drive here when its perfect outside. Snow makes everything stop, the first couple times its fun, but then u get sickof it. Not anything to look forward to at all. I guess enjoy so cal while ur still there.
roger that.

Last edited by raff; November 16th, 2004 at 09:13 AM..
raff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #12
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Yes it snows here. Not in huge amounts everytime, except for that last time 2 yrs ago We're expecting to get a bad winter this year, so we'll see. Most of the snow that dumps the most come from the South. The storm systems pick all the Gulf moisture and bring it up the coast then hits the cold front from Canada and instant snow!

We also get ice. That's also a lot of fun. I got my snow and ice driving training when I went to school in Illinois. After coming back to the DC area, its a no brainer. The one big worry is other people. No one in this area can drive worth crap like the other guy said. A bit of rain and everyone crashes into each other. The accident lawyers make so much dough in the DC metro area its not even funny anymore.

When you thinking of heading out here? I know DHS is hiring a LOT of folks.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to driven
I wish it didnt snow or get so cold here. Driving in DC sucks when it snows.. I've been rear ended twice because other peoples cars slip on the ice..
driven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #14
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
i hate the snow where im at snows alotttttt and ur car gets filthy with the sand and salt in streets.......

ill probaly buy a beater car eventually for the winter
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM   #15
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

yeah once in awhile DC gets a little bit of snow.

(Winter Storm 2003)
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:13 AM   #16

^^ lol
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM   #17

We get snow here?
Ok..just a LITTLE Bit.

That's Peanut

Dizzy
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #18
Premium User

What a cute dog!

Okay, that's a lot of snow... no worries Dizzy - it's not DHS. I have to finish the rest of my degree first. But, I was hoping for another set of letters.

So, new question-

How far is Strafford, VA to D.C.?
Is that a reasonable drive?
Do you know of any other areas that are decently priced?
All the houses are brick - I guess I'll never have to worry about earthquakes.

Is the snow so bad that I will need a 4WD?
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #19
User #4002

Send a message via ICQ to wildpikachu Send a message via AIM to wildpikachu Send a message via MSN to wildpikachu Send a message via Yahoo to wildpikachu
NYC get snow too.. but if you live in the urban, the snow usually get removed quickly the next day or two.. I can imagine if you going to live in DC in the urban area.. snow removal will be fast. If it snow too much.. just take the day off, stay home.. why risk your life for work? or telecommute.
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #20
Out of my Mind, Somewhere

Send a message via Yahoo to TooHypper
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali
So, new question-

How far is Strafford, VA to D.C.?
Is that a reasonable drive?
Do you know of any other areas that are decently priced?
I have been to DC a few times...back in 98 & 99.....first off you will be used to the traffic.....and the home prices.....they are high just like here in CA.

The car pool lane coming up from the south of DC has to have 3 people in it.....and it is one that stands by itself. (walled in) so its not like you can cheat like people do here.

Look in MD good houses and close enough....I have a friend who lived out there and worked at the pentagon....(now he is in St Louis).

They salt the roads so no need for a 4x4, but you might feel better driving in one....like the others have said.....they don't know how to drive....

Hope this helps....

Julie
TooHypper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to driven
although I have a f250.. theres no point to having a 4wd for the 3-4 snows we get a year..

I love living in MD.
driven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #22

decently priced areas in dc? hahaha...good one

For the price of my townhouse in bethesda, md i could buy a mansion almost anywhere else in the U.S.
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #23

Washington DC doesn't know how to remove snow. So that doesn't help. LOL. The suburbs do a much better job. Stafford is about 1-2 hours away from downtown DC depending on traffic. It's actually pretty far.

I live in Bethesda, MD and 12 miles away from downtown. On a good day w/ no traffic, I can make it downtown in 15-20 minutes. W/ rush hour traffice expect about 30 mins to 1 hour commute. Coming from VA, there are a LOT of HOV lanes. I-66 turns into HOV during rush hour. I personally don't like VA....but that's just me.

You don't REALLY need a 4x4. But for that one or two snow storms. Then you'll wish you had one. Your choice. But gas prices are high...so that's a consideration.

Dizzy
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #24

btw i personally hate virginia too but, tysons corner is cool tho and va drivers i wont even get started on. but thats just me.
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #25
Premium User

what is it about Virginia that everyone doesn't like? I don't know anything about this area. Rich- are property taxes better in Maryland?

Side note- I am having trouble adjusting to what all the houses look like out East, lol
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #26
rectum damn near killed m

Send a message via AIM to oviphagy Send a message via Yahoo to oviphagy
taxes are higher in MD! and it blows. winters arent too bad. just beware of ice the snow is not a problem but the ice will f**k your world up.
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #27
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

okay, having lived in both states I'd have to say that MD drivers are far WORSE than VA drivers. In MD nobody uses turn signals, and in the rare event they do it's not uncommon to see them using the wrong one. My Accord was also totalled in MD by that dumbazz in a cargo van, who didn't have insurance. My Maxima was clipped in the right rear in a parking lot in MD taking out my tail light and damaging my bumper. The front right of my Accord was also clipped in the front right by a road raging b*tch in an SUV near Baltimore. MD once again. MD sux!!!

When I was in VA for a year, I didn't have a single problem, and neither did my wife. The first thing I noticed when I moved to MD is how sooooo many cars had body damage on them. I was scared to buy a new car, and that was a legit feeling. VA cars seemed much more intact for the most part, and hence better drivers (IMO). I think I just had bad karma or feng shui at my first place in MD though.

Can't comment much on taxes because I was renting, but VA has that ghey car tax. Don't know much about that either because I never registered my car in VA.

So that's my perspective.

As far as snow removal goes, DC is lame. They just don't have the budget for it so when it snows it can take awhile. You don't need AWD, although we got it for my wife on her Highlander because she needs to get into the hospital no matter what the conditions are. That pic with my Maxima buried? Took me a good 1-2 hours to dig it out. Even after I dug it out I still had trouble thanks to the nice open differential and no traction control sending all power to one wheel which was on ice while the other one with traction got none. I AWD plowed our Highlander out for my wife in about 1 minute though with the rear bumper and a solid nudge on the gas. AWD + limited slip center differential + VSC/TRAC as a quasi left/right LSD = niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice I also drove her into DC that day, and despite there being like a foot of unplowed snow on the ground, I didn't have any trouble whatsoever on the drive in. Hell, due to no traffic (the whole town was closed down) I got her there early. So AWD rocks when you need it. But otherwise you're just wasting fuel. The office was shut down for me for like 1 or 2 days so I didn't have to get into work anyways.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #28
Out of my Mind, Somewhere

Send a message via Yahoo to TooHypper
Call me later tonight....I can answer the questions for you. I lived in Virginia Beach and LOVED it.......the car tax is not that bad comared to here.....BUT you have to get you car inspected, and have two stickers in the front window in the middle.....that sucks too!
TooHypper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #29

It snows here are only a few times a year, a bad one about every 5. The main problem is that people here dont know how to drive in it. You definitly dont need AWD. People here get AWD then drive on snow/ice like it's nothing, and end up in a ditch. Your own careful driving is all you need, and a little luck that no idiots hit you.

MD has a high % of idiots on the road, changing lanes abruptly with no warning right in front of faster moving vehicles, left lane sleepers that never check their rear view mirrors, and lately I have been seeing a lot more of people pulling out onto shoulders or sidewalks just so they can move 2 cars up and force their way back into the line.

I have driven in many urban areas and MD is the worst.
truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #30
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHypper
Call me later tonight....I can answer the questions for you. I lived in Virginia Beach and LOVED it.......the car tax is not that bad comared to here.....BUT you have to get you car inspected, and have two stickers in the front window in the middle.....that sucks too!

Sorry, out of town yesterday Just got back this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in