Big Muffler for V-6 = Deep Exhaust? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:24 AM   #1
2009 NL East Champs?

Send a message via AIM to Crombie Send a message via Yahoo to Crombie
Big Muffler for V-6 = Deep Exhaust?

If I install a big "coffee can" muffler at the rear of my Intrepid. Will I get the pissed off bumble bee sound? I'm not knocking the sound... just curious.
Thanks!
~Tony~
P.S.
I currently have an OBX Racing Sports muffler back there. It's a dual tip. Here's a pic:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #2
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
I don't think it will. Whats wrong with your current setup? Personally Id go with a flowmaster and dual exaust
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #3
2009 NL East Champs?

Quote:
Originally posted by bored&stroked
Whats wrong with your current setup? Personally Id go with a flowmaster and dual exaust
My current setup is sweet and all (having a K&N CAI adds to the sound also ) But I want louder. I can't really afford dual flowmasters. This guy at DI.net is offering a group buy for 2nd gen Intrepids at www.trubends.com (I think that is his site) Those exhausts look tight. But for $300 +. I don't know.

Old October 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #4

For your application [if it were me] Id get a single flowmaster [$90 for a 40 series, those are really loud though] and weld it up under the car towards the front. Id get a flow with dual outlets, and run dual pipe from the muffler back exiting on each side. Whatever you decide, good luck!
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #5
2009 NL East Champs?

Quote:
Originally posted by bored&stroked
For your application [if it were me] Id get a single flowmaster [$90 for a 40 series, those are really loud though] and weld it up under the car towards the front. Id get a flow with dual outlets, and run dual pipe from the muffler back exiting on each side. Whatever you decide, good luck!
Thanks... I did get my flowmaster catalog in the mail today.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #6
The One&Only!

Send a message via AIM to LostRacer Send a message via Yahoo to LostRacer
www.trubendz.com

My name is TYRICE!!
LostRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via AIM to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via Yahoo to ZE Power MX6
I have a OBX Titanium muffler w/4" tip I love how it sounds, really deep and loud, here's a picture of it.

Zoom-Zoom
ZE Power MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #8
2009 NL East Champs?

Quote:
Originally posted by ZE Power MX6
I have a OBX Titanium muffler w/4" tip I love how it sounds, really deep and loud, here's a picture of it.

Ohhhh yeah!!!!!!!!! I love that look!!!!! Actually: That is exactly what I want.
What did that cost you? And where did you buy it from?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:26 PM   #9
SoCal V6

I've never really liked the sound of flows on V6's, I've heard many on 3.8L GM's, and they sound like ass.
I've heard borla, and dynomax on cars like mine, and they sound pretty sweet(not the extremely loud ones)

Are you going for sound, or performance?

Last edited by PSDPimp; October 22nd, 2003 at 06:28 PM..
PSDPimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:38 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to American_Power
I would go with a small glass pack.... and of course a high flow cat..... or punch yours out :-}. That is the best way to go and its cheap. i had a flowmaster on my V6, then went to the glass pack. I will never spend the big bux again for the Flows..... now on my trans am, thats a different story.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:56 PM   #11
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Midnight Heretic Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight Heretic
dont punch holes in your cat...that is rice
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:37 AM   #12
SoCal V6

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Heretic
dont punch holes in your cat...that is rice
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:12 AM   #13
2009 NL East Champs?

Quote:
Originally posted by PSDPimp
Are you going for sound, or performance?
Hmmmm... tough choice.... honestly: both.
Over at DI.net... I am known as the "Owner of the Riced out Intrepid" (Boy do those guys flame me for loving OBX products! ) Nonetheless: I don't think that right now I can afford duals.
Here is my dream setup to give u folks a general idea:
Aftermarket High Flow Cat & The pic of the OBX muffler from the above (ZE Power MX6's). I just want to know with those two things; how my car will sound. It sucks cause I don't want to be a guinea pig. What if it sounds stupid? Then I'm f****d. And 99% of the Intrepids over here are all stock. With the exception of the R/T with the TRUE Ram Air, K&N CAI, Dual flowmasters, and the Showcars Bodykit. But he's a stuck up fool anyways.
If u guys need more info or whatever drop me a line.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:47 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to American_Power
I would go with the high flow cat: 60 bux or so and a small glass pack: 15 bux. if you want duals just split it after the pack. Unless you have headers it probly wont make much since to pay for real duals. I can tell you that this setup sounds great on my Monte Carlo.... but my V6 came stock with a roller cam setup. Im not a MOPAR man, so im not sure how exhaust friendly your cam is.

I know a guy with an Intrepid up here with a fart can and a spoiler *MOPAR fans cry :-(* and it looks bad and sounds worse.

Thats my 2 cents, good luck.
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #15
The One&Only!

I just had a MagnaFlow put on my V6 Cougar and it doesn't sound too bad all. I'll trip to get some vid this weekend and send you the clip if you like.

My name is TYRICE!!
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #16

Id advise againts glasspack mufflers. The packing wears out and the sound gets worse and worse. Plus I've had a friend melt the glasspack out from the car convertor, no good.

Midnight- punching out the convertro is not rice. I have high flow cats on my 79 c10 that I cant stop melting down, so Im punching them out and not worrying about it
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #17
The One&Only!

Pics of my new exhaust

And it sounds good and deep

My name is TYRICE!!
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #18
2009 NL East Champs?

LostRacer: Looks good man! How about a sound clip? Possibly at idle, and revved up. Thanks man!
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via AIM to ZE Power MX6 Send a message via Yahoo to ZE Power MX6
Crombie: I have a high-flow cat also, I did the whole setup at once, catco high-flow cat, custom mandrel bent 2.5" SS exhaust, and that OBX muffler, sounds nice and deep (that's the reason I pick OBX, they well known with their deep tone, but not too loud), I can't get a sound clip now cuz I don't have my car with me at skoo. But my bro told me that, with that deep tone on the exhaust, he can hear me like a block away.

I got that muffler on ebay from a seller name "tuning-depot" for $140 shipped, it's light full titanium but I don't know if he's still selling them, if not, try this one, I think this muffler is pretty good too.

APEXi Titanium muffler

And OBX is not rice, they have a deep tone and not loud like those rice burner. They have nice products and well known

Zoom-Zoom

Last edited by ZE Power MX6; October 25th, 2003 at 04:50 PM..
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #20
Chicago Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Bbc84 Send a message via AIM to Bbc84
It looks kinda wierd when domestics put on these import exhausts.

Saw a grand am with Apexi N1 and it just looked funny. i say stick with what domestics use which is usually borla i think and definatly flowmasters.

However i like that side exicting exhaust on that cougar. Is that custom? maybe i shoudl do that on my accord sedan and do duals.
Bbc84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 26th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #21
2009 NL East Champs?

Quote:
Originally posted by ZE Power MX6
And OBX is not rice, they have a deep tone and not loud like those rice burner. They have nice products and well known
I agree with you 100%. Outback Products Incorparated is indeed NOT Rice. I love my current OBX muffler. It's not too loud, not to mild... just right there in the middle. Nice throaty sound. Especially with my K&N Cold Air Intake. I just want a different look and sound where I don't have to spend a ton of cash.
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #22

Yep. If you still want that OBX muffler, I think you can find it in some online performance store, just don't go local shop, they cost twice as much

Zoom-Zoom

Last edited by ZE Power MX6; October 26th, 2003 at 09:26 PM..
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbc84 View Post
It looks kinda wierd when domestics put on these import exhausts.

Saw a grand am with Apexi N1 and it just looked funny. i say stick with what domestics use which is usually borla i think and definatly flowmasters.

However i like that side exicting exhaust on that cougar. Is that custom? maybe i shoudl do that on my accord sedan and do duals.
Hmm... I have the Apexi N1 muffler on my accord, well... a look-a-like one... and i keep getting pulled over for it (either for it's noise, and when i tell the cops it's not that loud, they say its because it's a modified exhaust) so either way they get me. I was thinking about getting an exhaust that looks like a stock exhaust but has sound. So i saw the flowmaster exhausts and I was thinking about getting one of those. A black flowmaster exhaust. That way i get the sound and when cops look at my car, it's not so noticable... any thoughts on a flowmaster on an accord?
oneloudaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #24

Nothing you will do with make it sound like a V8, you have a V6 no matter what you do it won't sound like the LS/T 1 powered Trans-Ams. The exhaust pulses are timed different on a V6 than they are on a V8, no muffler or cat back system can fix that. Some exhaust systems do sound closer to what a V8 sounds like than others. For a V6, I would go with something milder like Flowmaster 50.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in