Got a few cars in mind to buy... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #1
Got Boost?

Got a few cars in mind to buy...

Hey guys,

Well since winters hitting I have to find a cheaper car which gets rid of all the cars I liked that were pretty much all RWD cars. I have a list below and I'd like you guys to answer the following questions:
1) Which one looks better stock?
2) Which one looks better modified?
3) Stock, which one is faster?
4) Modified, which one can be made the fastest?
5) pro/cons of buying the car?

Style is not the most important here, and well I just want a decent car that I wont regret buying. I also think performance is more important (duh) but let's just cut to the chase...

I'm looking to spend around $12k at the most. Reason why is I just think since it's winter might as well get a cheaper car. This car will be an all season daily driver car. I will have money over left as well is part of the reason, so I can hurry and turbo it.

List:

- Subaru Impreza (2002 maybe, not WRX)
- Honda Prelude (new gen)
- Acura Integra (new gen)
- Acura RSX (rather have RSX-S)
- Honda Accord (coupe/sedan 6th gen. Not really looking to get, no problem with it but I thought I put on just in case).

Please list in the order you like, and like I said with the questions. Any other cars to recommend? Please let me know! Thanks a lot for all your guys help, I really appreciate it!

- Devin

Last edited by AccordMan; December 18th, 2003 at 03:50 PM..
AccordMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to lilred95ga
i would go with the impreza.....you have the all wheel drive which will definantly help in the winter and it shouldnt be too difficult to turbo and make pretty fast.
i wish i had 12k to spend....my car'd be turbo'd right now
lilred95ga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #3
Can I call myself OG yet?

scooby

Old December 18th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
Re: Got a few cars in mind to buy...

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordMan
98-02 accord sedan

Quote:
2) Which one looks better aftermarket wise?
Looks better aftermarket wise? What the heck does that mean? Aftermarket support?

Quote:
RSX-S I belive.

Quote:
4) Aftermarket, which one can be made the fastest?
They are all equal. It depends on how much money you have.

Quote:
A 6th gen sedan not only looks dam sexy, but now the build tranny is out for it. We have also found a engine managment system that controls ignition, rev limiter, everthing. You can put together a 3.5L pumping out over 300hp to the wheels using all this crap together, and using stock internals on the 3.5L. You'll also have tons of torque to go along, and FWD to battle the snow. Looks like a winner to me
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Got Boost?

haha, thanks for the replies. Sorry typed up fast. Aftermarket style, I meant modified. My bad. I do like the looks of the accord, but looks isn't all that great for speed. Otherwords many don't care. I do like the accord and Impreza so Idk.
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #6
Sold the car :(

I think 6th Gen Accords look hot when hooked up, but you can make anything look nice. For the money though, I'd say best way to go is the RSX-S but you ain't gonna find one for 12 g's unless it's been run into a tree.
dwil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Got Boost?

That's why I said RSX, not RSX-S, and still there hard to find just RSX for $12k at points. It's a great car, but I doubt I'll find it for that price and when I said I'd rather have an RSX-S I meant that I would rather have that, but parents put a price to spend on first car, so not enough cash.
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #8
8th World Wonder

As I have mentioned before, get a nicer older car. I know where you can find an awesome 1997 Integra GS-R with alot of ITR goodies on it for $9995. It has 66,000 miles.

Here are the mods to it so far:

comes with AEM intake, 2001 ITR cams, '98 jdm 4-1 header, hi-flow cat, RS*R exhaust, v-afc, and ITR rear sway

Located in Sioux Falls, SD and is in prestine condition.

If you need any more information or want pictures, email the seller at [email protected]
GotVtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #9

Re: Got a few cars in mind to buy...

Quote:

2) Which one looks better modified?
4) Modified, which one can be made the fastest?
How about a mitsubishi eclise GSX

That gives you the AWD and turbo already and stock runs about 1/4 mile in 15 seconds

AWD is perfect for snow, rain weather and handles great.

For about $1000 you can pick up a manual boost controller, exhaust and intake and you will be running 13-14's depending on vehicle condition and driving skills.

Con to buying the car?
They have a more than usual problem with crankwalk, which will require new engine. Percentage wise its not a huge factor, but educating yourself on it you will learn its more than usual. If you decide to learn about the GSX i advise you learn the truths about crankwalk and how to look for it in a purchase.

The best pro?
Its a 4 banger that will easily be smoking 99+ V8 mustangs and the bonus is many people unknowlegable about cars and 4 bangers never expect you to be fast or win. Best feeling when somebody is talking smack against you or attempting to race ya

And compared to everything on your list, it will be the cheapest to mod, fastest cheapest and within reasonable everyday/person dollar values can definately be the fastest car easy. (Meaning w/o spending $10,000 in mods, but a more reasonable amount like 2-3 grand tops kinda thing)

Last edited by sab4you; December 19th, 2003 at 01:57 PM..
sab4you is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Got Boost?

Brad,

Hey man, thanks for the help. It sounds nice to mod but it's too far away. If it was in Iowa it might be a different story but a lot of people have integras and so on. Fun lil cars but yeah I just don't know.

sab4you,

Again, thanks for the help. I have considered a GSX, but a lot have eclipses as well. Yeah because they have both and rice 'um out doesn't mean I can't make a difference, your right. But, the problem is that would be the only eclipse I would consider, and well there a LOT harder to find...

Thank you all for the help so far!
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #11
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Send a message via AIM to r.j-lo
I dunno, Im kinda partial to the Prelude. I think those look saweet! That engine has routinely made over 500hp with no problems. Modded H series can beat a modded B series.

r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
An older Integra is about what your looking for. Many, many mods and easy to hook up. Also quite affordable if you look around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #13
8th World Wonder

Quote:
Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe on December 20th, 2003 at 06:19 AM

An older Integra is about what your looking for. Many, many mods and easy to hook up. Also quite affordable if you look around.

Also, an older car insurance will be cheaper than a brand new one.

FYI: Sioux Falls is not that far from A-town, I make the trek all of the time. I am sure if you were honestly interested in the car, the owner would be more than willing to meet you half way with it to check it out.
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #14
sittin low

Here's my list.
All brand new
1) 350z
2)WRX
3)Accord 6speed
4)Rsx-S
5)Rx-8
AcCoRd16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #15
say hello to angels..

devin:

rsx-s
integra (preferrably a GSR)
prelude
impreza
accord
BlaCCord Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #16
Got Boost?

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking for that old of cars. Only car I'd buy older that I like right now is a Vr4 which would hurt me on insurance so I might buy just a SL 3kgt. I know people say they have problems, and I understand. It just sucks the SL and STD are FWD not AWD. And they weigh so much. I do like integras as well but a lot have um and well its just another 'fast and the fuddious car.' lol. Bottom is cars I will be thinking of buying. Also have one more question, sorry...
How bad of lag do big turbos have on lil I4 engines? I mean when you get up there, I'm assuming there pretty hard to drive. Am I wrong, and what could help to resolve this?

Cars...

- RSX-S

- 3000gt SL

- Eclipse GSX

- Integra GSR

- Impreza

I just found that GSX today, and I think it would be great. I'm just worried about all the stupid stuff that people have made it to be. "fast and furious", ricers, etc. I need to call agent but has GSX prices gone up as well? Also people have told me that '95 and higher are plain sh*t cars. Any truth to that? I like the other cars as well but would consider the GSX right now, seems like a fun car. Please help me guys, once again. Thanks a lot!

- Devin
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #17
8th World Wonder

Quote:

How bad of lag do big turbos have on lil I4 engines? I mean when you get up there, I'm assuming there pretty hard to drive. Am I wrong, and what could help to resolve this?
None at all, the I4 engines have smaller turbos to spool up faster than say a I6 or V6 engine. Most factory I4 engines have a TD04 or smaller.

Quote:

I'm just worried about all the stupid stuff that people have made it to be. "fast and furious", ricers, etc. I need to call agent but has GSX prices gone up as well? Also people have told me that '95 and higher are plain sh*t cars. Any truth to that? I like the other cars as well but would consider the GSX right now, seems like a fun car.
There you go caring what other people are going to think or say about your car. Some of the sexsiest cars on the road today are the 2G Eclipse's, and to have AWD and Turbo at your command, anyone who would step at you, would just get a nice glimpse of your tail lights (hopefully not Altezza's). The 4G63 motor is one of the most reliable motors I have ever seen, many people are running over 500 WHP with stock internals on that block. It is insane. I think that GSX looks to be a great car. Its also a bonus to buy a car with a factory turbo so you don't need to hassle with aftermarket crap.
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #18
Got Boost?

Brad,

Yeah I don't really believe that theory of that, but yeah I know. How is insurance wise? I think there going to see the Turbo and just jack insurance up insanely. I have though of being primary of moms altima, and put as "weekend car" or second driver for the GSX. I don't really want to be paying for two cars, but I have to be primary driver of something since I am 15.
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:39 AM   #19
Got Boost?

Since I don't really want an automatic I just realized the GSR was so I found one, that would be in way better condition anyhow.

Integra GSR

Integra GSR

There's just a few more. I think I'm going for the RSX-S but I am going to dealers around the area today maybe. Went yesterday but didn't find anything. Well I'll let you guys know if I find anything. Thanks guys.
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
I just found that GSX today, and I think it would be great. I'm just worried about all the stupid stuff that people have made it to be. "fast and furious", ricers, etc. I need to call agent but has GSX prices gone up as well? Also people have told me that '95 and higher are plain sh*t cars. Any truth to that? I like the other cars as well but would consider the GSX right now, seems like a fun car. Please help me guys, once again. Thanks a lot!

- Devin
Well the block itself is great...the 4g63 block is the same on the pre 95 GSX (called the 1g) as the 95+ (called the 2g).

If you drove on down to the Mitsubishi dealer today and looked at an EVO you would also see the 4g63 block, which has been on EVO's before they even came to the USA.

A GSX is very similar to the latest EVO, and the EVO seems to just have some added mods that many do anyways

The truth of the matter is about the 95+ is the crank walk. Its uncommon overall, but its also a higher percentage than most other cars - if that makes sense. If you get a higher milage GSX without crankwalk, then your safest. The pre-95 have been said to have less stupid things go wrong with them, but they are also well known to have crappy tranny's (which can be upgraded)

Most cars will have their issues, some bigger than others. The fun I had in my 1g and the cheap speed I got out of it was great. Racing 99+ v8 mustangs was a blast because many people dont know about the DSM AWD and think its a stupid 4 banger ricer car. I am not gonna lie and say it has a build quality like a Honda, but it sure as hell is a fun fast car you will love to have.
sab4you is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #21
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
I wouldn't drive a mitsu that was given to me, much less pay money for one, and for good reason. My advice is to stay far far away from those things. Of course thats just my .02
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #22
Got Boost?

I know mitsubishis aren't that great, but well it snowed a lot here. I found one for a good price and I test drove it and it wasn't all too bad. People have different tastes and that's fine, I understand it. I am in no way saying that the eclipse GST I bought is fast, or the best looking out there but it's a pretty decent car. Rumors going around about how this breaks and that, well if you have the car that's a different story. If you treat um right there going to run into no problems just like any other car. Just like other cars you can run into problems, not like one car is unstopable. I do know what I can run into and it's just my first car I got more cars to go through. Thanks for everyones advice, suggestions, and comments. I really appreciate it. If anyone cares I'll post pics up later and here's what it has so far:
'97 eclipse GST 5spd
- Greddy BOV
- catback
- mbc
- bigger intake
- Pioneer cd deck/speakers

cya guys!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM   #23
V6P wandering idiot

Send a message via AIM to chrisnick Send a message via Skype™ to chrisnick
if you really want an RSX Type-S... PM me, im putting mine up for sale soon. it's already modded.

BTW, i wouldnt get behind the wheel of a modded DSM right away.... they're too expensive to maintain, and having a car that fast with that much easy modding potential is a disaster waiting to happen. DSM's are huge around here, my best friend's GF's dad actually owns a big DSM shop (www.showdownmotorsports.com), so i know a little about them. any questions, talk to those people... really, i swear they've experienced everything with a DSM.

'97 Accord LX Coupe 5MT autocross and DD beater

Last edited by chrisnick; February 3rd, 2004 at 01:07 PM..
chrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #24
Got Boost?

Chris thanks for the offer but I got the DSM. Yes I know, but I'm not an idiot like some 15-16 year olds out there. Since I have a turbo car doesnt mean Im gonna speed, or think im cool or anything else. Yeah they can get problems like many other cars, such as crankwalk but I have a few mileage on my car and I shouldn't get it. When maintained it should be fine, if not I'm ready and have cash ready to fix. Thanks for the heads up though.

BTW, buying new Digital so I'll have pics of it later on (after this snow storm is done and now snow is left on the ground).

- Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in